Photographer's vest - good or bad idea

This is a discussion on Photographer's vest - good or bad idea within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thumper Everyone has their "opinion" and certainly there are places where a 5.11 vest would look really strange, but I'm still waiting ...

View Poll Results: Do you wear a photographers vest for concealment?

Voters
293. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 19.11%
  • No

237 80.89%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Photographer's vest - good or bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Everyone has their "opinion" and certainly there are places where a 5.11 vest would look really strange, but I'm still waiting for one single piece of evidence that anyone was targeted by a BG because they were wearing one. There simply isn't any.
    +1

I have never heard of any such evidence.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

2. Remove Ads

I wear a Duluth Trading Co. vest thats made from fire hose material. I wear it any time its cool enough(Florida Resident). It does not look like a tactical vest at all. My wife says it looks good to her. She picked it out and gave it to me for Christmas. Nobody even gives me a second glance when I'm wearing it. But then again who really looks at a 50 year old gray haired guy anyway? The best thing I've found out about wearing a vest is that when I walk the dogs or take them to the park I always have a place for the leashes, treats, a water bottle and some poopy bags.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    just as with all other CCW clothing, if what you wear lets you blend in or not be pointed out as packing a firearm then you can do it

but if by you wearing this vest makes you scream I'm packing then don't do it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Ahhh the benefits of middle age. I wear the most obnoxious Hawaiian shirts and nobody pays a bit of attention. They are the ultimate in concealed cover!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Yes, but they probably make you look good!
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Indeed!

VIP Member
    He he he... I'm adding the Cabela's Safari® Vest to my collection!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    It used to be a good idea...but one that's no longer effective if you want to be "discrete." Not so much from non-gun people...but among gun people. I had one guy come up to me and ask if I were a cop. Sheesh.

The only times I use a photog's vest (in my case, the excellent Scott eVest) are when I have to qualify and/or actually use when enjoying a day of taking photographs.

I purchased a fleece vest from J Crew when I don't want to wear a jacket or untucked shirts; but only in cool(er) Miami weather like now. I think most people still don't catch on that I'm wearing a gun in that case.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I also have a black fleece vest made by Columbia Wear that I bought at Bass Pro Shop ($29) and it works well to cover my XD .45 compact in a OWB Don Hume OT paddle holster. My problem is that fleece is not good for warmer weather. I can comfortably wear the cotton pho-tog vest until it gets mid-summer here in Memphis When it reaches 90 + humidity I'll slip my Ruger LCP in my RF pocket. Here's the Woolrich vest I have. This is great feedback, keep it coming.

4424 Woolrich Elite Series Lightweight Vest

Carhartt makes a great work vest that wouldn't raise an eyebrow. It has long tails for better concealment also. Another cooler weather option is the standard goose down vest. Very inconspicuous.

Every time I see someone wearing one of those (or most any other type) vests I automatically assume they're carrying. Same with most fanny packs.

Now just because I wear a vest it doesn't mean I am packing. I don't wear a vest to conceal my pistol, I wear it to carry other things. Wallet, checkbooks, buisness cards, flashlights, knives, aspirin, candy, magazines, mail. I also use it to carry spare ammo, spare pistol, Vampire Stakes, Folding saw, fishing flies, leader, hooks, fly tying vice and extra material. Fly boxes, fly treatment, spare fishing reels, Camera bodys, spare lenses, filters, film, monopods, tripods, Garbage bags of all sizes, etc., the list can go on and on. If I just wanted to conceal my handgun I could do that with a t-shirt or jacket but they don't have enough pockets for the other things I need to carry at different times. I walk most of the places I need to go so I never know just what I may need while away from the house. If I am out to a store it is many times much easier to cary my purchases in a pocket of a vest and leave my hands free to protect myself or catch myself if I slip on ice or trip over a root.

It's the guys with empty pockets that are the giveaway.

A vest or fanny pack screams gun!
    If you want to conceal, wear your gun IWB or you can also do it OWB if you wear a Hawaiian shirt or similar. IWB gives you the flexibility of tucking or not, as long as you have a tuckable holster like the Crossbreed Supertuck.

I wear a Cabela's vest...

I don't care if it screams gun to gun people, I don't care if it looks "unhip" , hellfire, I am unhip. I DO care that it covers my gun so as not to start a sheeple stampede at the wrong time, and it's my man purse. I love all the pockets and use them. I've been asked if I was going fishing, to which I replied "yeah, for stupid fish, I think I just got a big one". Note- the person asking was known to me and being sarcastic.
    accessbob likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links