2 issues I have seen when carrying...

This is a discussion on 2 issues I have seen when carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a couple things happen over the last few IDPA events that I think are worth passing on. I share only because they should ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 issues I have seen when carrying...

2 issues I have seen when carrying...

I saw a couple things happen over the last few IDPA events that I think are worth passing on. I share only because they should serve as reminders for us all. Both of these things happened to guys who are NOT new to shooting and one in particular has been carrying and competing for a number of years.

1- Upon drawing, his holster came out with the gun. It was a paddle holster and my guess is that he did not take the time to insure that the "clips" were fully over the belt area. Very imbarasing and if real life, he most likely would have been dead!

2- This fella drew his weapon very efficiently but when he went to shoot...nothing...his clip was partially out.
    a. He never slapped his mag to ensure it was seated
    b. When he racked his slide to load it he did not check to insure that it in fact was loaded
    c. He really fumbled after this happened as it he did not know what to do next. We need to practice for misfires and misfeeds! Well, unless you own a Glock! Then the name on the side of the gun will protect you
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Good things to be aware of. I like one way snapped loops on my holster. Paddles and clips leave me feeling uneasy about the one time they fail.

2...TAP RACK BANG! It's taught and needs to be practiced for a reason.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Good things to be aware of. I like one way snapped loops on my holster. Paddles and clips leave me feeling uneasy about the one time they fail.

I agree 100%!! Tap Rack Bang...vital to the auto owner!

Thats why I don' like paddle holsters.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post

I fully agree with that. Even with Glocks! I hope this was a good learning experience for the shooter. I figure any good IDPA, or IPSC match could open anyone's eyes who has never done it before. Key is to have some of the basics down before you even attempt a match, and learning from one's mistakes. My local club was more than helpful with my first match even though I had a decent foundation (practice, holster, technique, safety minded, etc...), but I'd never even attempt it without a bit of confidence in myself, my gear, or my abilities. A low score wouldn't be embarrassing......ineptitude would be.
    c. He really fumbled after this happened as it he did not know what to do next. We need to practice for misfires and misfeeds! Well, unless you own a Glock! Then the name on the side of the gun will protect you.
    I don't depend on that being the case. I know your kidding about it, and I trust my Glocks...all of them, but better to be prepared with the idea bad things can happen at the wrong times. I've actually run empty on one stage and left four steel targets standing. To me that's not embarrassment in competition, it's gaining some extra point deductions! So long as I display a good foundation and fundamentals, others are more than willing to give me tips and advice. We can also learn from others' mistakes.

A good paddle holster with a good belt is pretty secure. I use G-Code and

Safariland paddle holsters for IDPA and never had a problem. The guy may have bumped the mag release upon drawing. It's not hard to do on some guns. Yes, a TAP-RACK-BANG should have been his next move.

I mainly shoot IDPA for the trigger time and to try out different guns in self defense scenarios. There are alot of guys that shoot full size guns [Glock 17s, 9mm 1911s, etc.] and actually carry a snubbie or smaller. That's why I'm not really in the competitive part of IDPA. I like to shoot what I actually carry.

My .02!

jfl
    When I was shooting IDPA, there were COF in which we had to do a tap-rack-bang.
    When we go shooting, I place an inert rd in my wife's revolver and she does the same in one of my mags.
    The FTF drill has to become automatic !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    When we go shooting, I place an inert rd in my wife's revolver and she does the same in one of my mags.
    Same here. It si a great way to practice for a misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Good idea thanks...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    I have had paddle and clip on IWB holsters come out on the gun. A real issue.

Sometimes you get a little flustered when the timer is running and things happen. If the mag was partially out but did not fall out, that seems odd.

I don't know how your SOs run the matches, but ours is a cold range, we load by the numbers when we get on the line, and of something does not seem right (odd slide closure) the SO will call it for the shooter.

Personally, I do a press check after I load to make sure I have one in the pipe.

The only time I had any problems was in a rifle side match, and a reload on the handgun was not allowed. Fired 2 rounds, "click, click, rack, click, rack, click, 'CRAP!' rack, click" Mag was seated, end of the day, and that mag must have gotten some dirt in it and jammed the follower. By the time I was cussing I had already reached the cover to switch to the rifle.

Definitely a good thing to use the snap caps or dummy rounds in practice to get the motor skills functioning.

I have seen many a new shooter learn the priorities around drawing and shooting. Baggy pants and a tight retention holster means you have to draw all the way to your armpit to clear the holster. Way oversized cover shirt will snag on the pistol and spare mags. Always check your cover garment to make sure it is not tucked into your holster(s) before you start.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Wow, I guess I am going to have to switch to Glock only if they will pick up and chamber a round when the mag is not inserted correctly, since other manufactures guns won't do that. Or not.

Yea, if your holster doesn't stay in place when you draw your gun you need to rethink your carry method, regardless of what it is.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Thats why I don' like paddle holsters.
    Depends on the holster and if the person wearing it takes a few seconds to make sure he is wearing it properly.

My Blackhawk SERPA will not do that. I have a cheap-o Uncle Mike's that will unless you take a couple of seconds to make sure it is seated properly on your belt.

I actually like paddle holster better than belt holsters because the added strength and stability the paddle offers keeps the gun from "flopping" around like they will in a belt holster.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Ya'll know that the Glock comment was a joke right???

BTW- It was a cold range. Everyone is cold untill the RSO calls for "Load and make ready", this is the command for all but the shooter at the line.

TN_Mike, I'm sure they are not all bad but I have a Fobus paddle holster that likes to come out with the gun. I prefer to have a holster firmly attached to my belt. Maybe it's just a comfort thing...

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links