Thinking of creating some signs

This is a discussion on Thinking of creating some signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the title states. I'm toying with the idea of making some signs or stickers for stores that I find with a "No Weapons" sticker. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of creating some signs

Thinking of creating some signs

As the title states. I'm toying with the idea of making some signs or stickers for stores that I find with a "No Weapons" sticker. I want to try and educate them as to the differences/benefits of allowing law abiding citizens to carry in their establishments. Since I own a sign ship I want to make some of these up and offer to replace their old sticker with the one I am going to create (I'll take the old one down and put the new one up for free).

Here's were I need some help. Of course there will be the standard "No Guns Symbol" with the following statement below it:

Carrying of Weapons Prohibited

“Unless authorized by law, no person shall knowingly possess, have under their person’s control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordinance onto or into these premises.”

Here's my thinking:

By working it like this if it is lawful for a citizen to open carry then a person would be authorized bhy law to do so. If a person has a license to carry concealed then he too would be authorized by law since he has a license.

Let me know what you guys and gals think. I'm thinking the wording below the graphic is a little too long.

AL

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    “Unless authroized by law, no person shall knowingly possess, or convey a deadly or dangerous weapon onto or into these premises.”

There ya go. I believe even if you are not permitted to possess a firearm, if you get the BG's away from him and shoot him with it, it's legal, and you can possess it while making sure he is no longer a threat. So there are provisions for it, but I wouldn't worry about it in the sign. Deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance seems somewhat redundant, so shortened that.

I might also replace convey with brandish or do away with it completely. It could be as simple as
    “Unless authroized by law, no person shall knowingly possess a deadly or dangerous weapon on or in these premises.”
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I like that!

AL

VIP Member
    It might work for a Mom & Pop operation, but for large corporate owned stores the manager does usually does not have the authority to decide that.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It might work for a Mom & Pop operation, but for large corporate owned stores the manager does usually does not have the authority to decide that.
    Yep!

Walmart is the perfect example but I'm about to approach that tiger too. From what I understand the District managers make that decision so I'll be contacting him as soon as I find out who he is.

AL

Cool

Respect the wishes of the business owner as you want to be respected. Rarely are you limited to only one business for your purchases. Please don't give the antis more ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    Respect the wishes of the business owner as you want to be respected. Rarely are you limited to only one business for your purchases. Please don't give the antis more ammunition.
    Trust me as I am a business owner I do respect any business but there are business owners out there that are sheep and they don't know it. My intent is to educate them. If I can't educate them I'll take my business somewhere else. I'm not the type of person that would make a scene while discussing something of this nature so no worries there.

Walmart again is the perfect example. We have more crime in the Walmart parking lot than we do at any other business in the whole town.

Quote Originally Posted by hdawson View Post
    I think that this is a VERY respectful way to do it. Asking the manager/owner and doing for free...doesn't get much better.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I see a few problems here.

And no, I am not a lawyer.

The first problem would be whether or not the sign is in compliance with your state law or regulation.

Your desire to "educate" the masses regarding CCW is noble. However, I believe your time and money would be better spent in another direction.

JMHO.

Second, I believe you open yourself to a boatload of liability by being the author, manufacturer, delivery person and possible installer of these signs. If someone is killed or injured by a firearm on the premises, regardless of whether or not it's a righteous shooting, I believe you would be named as a defendant in a civil suit.

Third, based on your original post, it reads like you're practicing law. Leave the interpretation of the law to the lawyers.

"Walmart again is the perfect example. We have more crime in the Walmart parking lot than we do at any other business in the whole town."

Careful....

“Unless authroized by law"
    Plain and simple, it covers the store and the CCWer
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I'm not an attorney...but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night...

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    “Unless authroized by law"
    Plain and simple, it covers the store and the CCWer
    Hmmmm,

Makes for a simpler/smaller sign too.

AL

How about "Attention bad guys nobody in here has a gun so it is safe to rob and kill us, COME ON IN!"

That will get the message across.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

ordnance - is the correct spelling I think

Check your state regulations too, there may be a sign they require or otherwise the signage used isn't leagl anyway. Yes, I see what you're doing, but why duplicate the effort?
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links