Will they take my other guns?

This is a discussion on Will they take my other guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I remember hearing somewhere that if you are involved in a SD shooting that they might take other guns that you have in your home. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will they take my other guns?

Will they take my other guns?

I remember hearing somewhere that if you are involved in a SD shooting that they might take other guns that you have in your home. I've also heard about how guns can be abused while in custody. If I find myself in a SD situation should I call a friend to come empty my safe so my other guns are not taken by the police?
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

2. Remove Ads

I've not heard they take your other ones, only the one to be used as possible evidence. If you called a buddy to come empty your safe, and they were planning on confiscating your other guns, you just got your friend an accessory charge.

I can't see why they would take your others though, unless you lived in NOLA or Chicago or some place like that.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    most of the time other guns are not taken....however......it will all depend on the situation, your state laws, etc etc etc

if you have a friend come get your guns you may open the door for more speculation, etc like you're trying to cover up something etc
    just imagine...as officers arrive your buddy arrives and he starts taking stuff out of the house....I don't think that will go over too well

If you know you're in the right in a SD shooting, then stick to your guns (yes pun intended)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

yea thats a really bad idea

VIP Member
    The only reason I can see that they would take your other guns is if you are criminally charges in the shooting. In which case you have bigger problems than the guns at home.

Hell, in my state you don't lose your permit even if you commit a crime for a few weeks. We had a guy resist arrest after robbing someone and didn't lose his permit for a few weeks, let alone lose his sidearm.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Here in Tx the cops can take your CHL if they have reason to believe you've committed a crime that would revoke your license and until your license is returned you cannot carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It would all depend on which state/city laws your under, and if you were charged with a crime.

In Florida I’ve never heard of such a thing. Unless the LEO’s need it for evidence, in most cases they don’t even take the gun you used, must less other firearms you own.

Regardless… NEVER tamper with evidence; You would only bring more intense investigations upon yourself, and charges against your friend.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I had a buddy that was a LEO with the same dept. that I was with. He lived in a different town than where we worked. His wife called in a fake assault charge on him. The LEOs in the town where he lived took all his guns (none of these were said to be used in the assault). It took him several weeks to get them back. They even took his duty weapon.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

got a DWI 1 year ago had a ccp for 31 years it got revoked , going to the supreme court judges now dont care if it costs me 50,000 upstate NY. also member of the NRA for years i'm no criminal made 1 bad decision. yes sir no .sir

They can, and often do get warrants to search [shooter's] homes for anything firearm related. That is why it's not a good idea to bring home your shot targets from the range.

Imagine the DA holding up your target of a perfect Mozambique and telling the jury: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is how the defendant practiced; he practiced long and hard to take a life, and on that night, he did exactly that."

Nor does it look good to be shooting targets with likenesses of your favorite politician or celebrity.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

only the weapon used in the sd situation as possible evidence. If they want any other weapon at any other location, they need probable cause to seek a search warrent, which is highly unlikely.

would it make any difference if the event took place in my home?
    HK P2000 SK .40
    Crossbreed Supertuck & Beltman
    Spyderco Endura
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    would it make any difference if the event took place in my home?
    I would think that would depend on what happend
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Glock 23 trijicon sights
    Glock 17,two carbon fiber frame trijicon sights
    Glock 36 Laser Max
    S&W Airlight 357
    SA XD-M40 two tone

For domestic abuse and other assault situations they will come take your guns.

I'm not involved in those, I just know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links