Valuable Lesson Learned. - Page 2

Valuable Lesson Learned.

This is a discussion on Valuable Lesson Learned. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by grady a nanomillimicrosecond Huh... how quick is that?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    a nanomillimicrosecond
    Huh... how quick is that?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Have to agree with AZ Husker. I'm not going to draw my weapon on someone trying to steal my car when I'm not in it. A car jacking is one thing, a car theft is something totally different. I have car insurance and there is nothing in my car worth dying over or taking a life over. Even if there were, VA law does not allow for deadly force to protect property.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Dang quick.

VIP Member
    quicker than grady's reply!!

Quicker than a New York instant
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman836 View Post
    Were there any other similar cars in the lot near you? If not I doubt it was a mistake. One guy was on drivers side, where was other one? Other than distance I would make sure there was something to use as cover. Otherwise came out well.
    The other guy was on the opposite rear side of car, the thing that looked weird about him was his demeanor. If you are waiting for someone to open a car door , generally you are watching the door. Maybe. Not sure ! It went down pretty fast. Pulling up my sweatshirt was fast and the only thing I did. The thing I keep wondering about is if they saw my firearm. Anyway no foul no harm , Lessons Learned.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    I went to the mall this past weekend and ended up getting out at closing. Because there were so many people there I was forced to park in Egypt. When I got ready to leave I Hunkered down for the long walk out and as always had My Kahr CW40 IWB @ 3:30. I Find my car after searching and started walikng back to it as I had passed it. As I approached from probaly 25 ft there were two gentlemen walking toward me , one with a hood over his head and he stopped at my vehicle and started trying to get in it. I could not see very well and immediately pulled my sweatshirt up with my thumb just a little exposing my Firearm and got closer to the guy on drivers side. I was at the front of vehicle he was at the door and he looked up hard at me and said( THIS IS NOT MY CAR!). My Heart was pounding and everything was happening fast. Other people came near the area, a car rode by and suddenly they walk the other way. I never had my hand on my gun but it sure had me thinking about alot of things. Those guys that say it happens fast. TRUE, Those guys that say you really do not want to use it. TRUE! I would have but I was not threatened any way whatsoever and property is not worth your life or worth having to live with taking another. I did some serious thinking to more training and awareness on the way home . Not sure what I could do differently but I am open to criticism here as oppsed to you reading about in the news paper
    Godspeed
    I don't know. I agree with 90% of this, except the bolded...and yes I know I'm going to draw lots of criticism. Yes, it's going to get you in a jam legally in most places. However, the way I see it, private property and the aquisition thereof is one of the very few things that proves that we, as individuals are still free(ie from the initiation of force). Now, if that isn't worth fighting for, I'm not sure what is.

that's just my .03035679999 cents...but I agree with everything else...especially that part where you get that feeling deep in your gut knowing full well something is about to happen, and you pray that it doesn't because you don't want to use that last line of defense. And yes...it happens way too fast.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have to agree with AZ Husker. I'm not going to draw my weapon on someone trying to steal my car when I'm not in it. A car jacking is one thing, a car theft is something totally different. I have car insurance and there is nothing in my car worth dying over or taking a life over. Even if there were, VA law does not allow for deadly force to protect property.
    I don't think that drawing a gun to protect your car is warranted but certainly telling the BG to move away from you and your vehicle is reasonable. I believe that the castle doctrine in some states state there is no duty to retreat from any place you have a legal right to be and certainly your car applies.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    I don't think that drawing a gun to protect your car is warranted but certainly telling the BG to move away from you and your vehicle is reasonable. I believe that the castle doctrine in some states state there is no duty to retreat from any place you have a legal right to be and certainly your car applies.
    Your assumning hes not going to harm you? Is it because he looks like a nice guy or what? I see no reason no to be prepared for the worse.

Michael

I actually got into the wrong car once!. Same make, model, color and my key actually fit the lock!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

i have to say i think you did well. i have been on both side of that.
    i have gone to the wrong car in a mall parking lot.
    once i was at the post office, mom had to drop off a package or something, and i was sitting in the passenger side reading a magazine and waiting. some woman comes out paying more attention to her mail then what she is doing. comes over and gets in the car. by the time i looked up, complaciently thinking it was the person i was expecting, she saw me and asked what i was doing in her car. i said it was my car, she looked around and saw i was correct, and apologized to no end as she went to her car.

both were freshly cleaned red mustangs, same exact year, but hers had a black int. and ours was what i call peanut butter and chocolate.

at about 14, my SA was nowhere to be seen, nor do i think i had ever heard of it.

but i think not drawing was good. if it were an innocent situation of someone not paying attention, and you come up gun drawn, suddenly it goes from them going to the wrong car, to you came at them with a gun/potential theft, yadda yadda.

if it were something bad going down, you were ready to deal with it.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    I actually got into the wrong car once!. Same make, model, color and my key actually fit the lock!
    Me too. One row over from my car, mall parking lot circa 1977.

I've run into situations with vehicles with BG's twice while carrying in Detroit, both late 1980's/ early 1990's.

First, I went out to the parking lot of the contractor I worked for (small lot, inner city industrial area). Some guy is rummaging through the bed of my company S15 pickup (had a cap, I'd forgotten to lock the door ).

Asked him what he thought he was doing, he ignored me. Told him to get out of my truck. He kept rummaging. Placing my hand on the Combat Commander, I ordered him to step away from the truck (I did not draw, and he did not even look at me to notice my hand in my briefcase/holster). He simply walked away saying "what's the big deal, I didn't take anything. The guy was totally calm, as if he owned the place!

Second time, I heard the neighbor across the street hollering at something. Going outside, I see him scuffling with some hood by his car. I drew the Colt, but did not point it (was too far away to reliably hit the BG, and there was as yet no reason to believe a life was in danger, and no reason to fire). The BG shoved the neighbor, got in the car and began to drive away. Neighbor sees my weapon and hollers "shoot him! Shoot him!". I holstered the weapon, explaining how I could not fire unless the BG had exhibited some means (knife etc.) and intent to cause great bodily harm. He wanted him shot over stealing his car. Even if legal, definite moral anomaly if you ask me (and carjacking is totally different, there the threat is to the occupant, not the property).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Maybe I am just a sissy still since my CWP isn't in yet but.......why confront them at all? Why not set off the alarm with the key fob (panic button) and just be ready to draw if need be. I've heard several people say if they feel they NEED to carry in a particular place, they usually don't go there so wouldn't the same apply? I am not criticising since I have not been in the same situation, just wondering if I would do things differently.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Me too. One row over from my car, mall parking lot circa 1977.

I've run into situations with vehicles with BG's twice while carrying in Detroit, both late 1980's/ early 1990's.

First, I went out to the parking lot of the contractor I worked for (small lot, inner city industrial area). Some guy is rummaging through the bed of my company S15 pickup (had a cap, I'd forgotten to lock the door ).

Asked him what he thought he was doing, he ignored me. Told him to get out of my truck. He kept rummaging. Placing my hand on the Combat Commander, I ordered him to step away from the truck (I did not draw, and he did not even look at me to notice my hand in my briefcase/holster). He simply walked away saying "what's the big deal, I didn't take anything. The guy was totally calm, as if he owned the place!

Second time, I heard the neighbor across the street hollering at something. Going outside, I see him scuffling with some hood by his car. I drew the Colt, but did not point it (was too far away to reliably hit the BG, and there was as yet no reason to believe a life was in danger, and no reason to fire). The BG shoved the neighbor, got in the car and began to drive away. Neighbor sees my weapon and hollers "shoot him! Shoot him!". I holstered the weapon, explaining how I could not fire unless the BG had exhibited some means (knife etc.) and intent to cause great bodily harm. He wanted him shot over stealing his car. Even if legal, definite moral anomaly if you ask me (and carjacking is totally different, there the threat is to the occupant, not the property).
    +1 on the theft of property. I don t like it but We must remain within the boundaries of the law. If I break them I am really no different than they are.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I tend to doubt that. Car jackings seem to be a different class of crime, but I would not bet either of our lives on it.

Regards,
    Jerry
    But the essence of a carjacking that makes it "a different class of crime" is the threat of imminent serious bodily harm to the victim. It's a form of robbery, not simple larceny.

AZ Husker is exactly right. I don't believe there is a naked right to defend mere property with deadly force anywhere. Every example I can think of involves at least a presumption that a trespasser or thief is willing to kill. (E.g., burglary - shooting a burglar is excusable because an intruder in one's home at night can be presumed to be willing to kill the defenseless sleeping occupants.)
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links