Valuable Lesson Learned.

This is a discussion on Valuable Lesson Learned. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the mall this past weekend and ended up getting out at closing. Because there were so many people there I was forced ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valuable Lesson Learned.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Valuable Lesson Learned.

I went to the mall this past weekend and ended up getting out at closing. Because there were so many people there I was forced to park in Egypt. When I got ready to leave I Hunkered down for the long walk out and as always had My Kahr CW40 IWB @ 3:30. I Find my car after searching and started walikng back to it as I had passed it. As I approached from probaly 25 ft there were two gentlemen walking toward me , one with a hood over his head and he stopped at my vehicle and started trying to get in it. I could not see very well and immediately pulled my sweatshirt up with my thumb just a little exposing my Firearm and got closer to the guy on drivers side. I was at the front of vehicle he was at the door and he looked up hard at me and said( THIS IS NOT MY CAR!). My Heart was pounding and everything was happening fast. Other people came near the area, a car rode by and suddenly they walk the other way. I never had my hand on my gun but it sure had me thinking about alot of things. Those guys that say it happens fast. TRUE, Those guys that say you really do not want to use it. TRUE! I would have but I was not threatened any way whatsoever and property is not worth your life or worth having to live with taking another. I did some serious thinking to more training and awareness on the way home . Not sure what I could do differently but I am open to criticism here as oppsed to you reading about in the news paper
    Godspeed
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

2. Remove Ads

Drawing a gun to protect property would get you in a jam most places.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Good judgement. I've been that guy getting in the wrong car once before...right after I bought my silverado, someone parked the exact same model, also brand new, right next to mine. I hit the auto unlock, tugged the door handle, and it was still locked. Then I realized mine was the other one. They could have been innocent...or they could have been caught in the act and gave up. Either way, situation resolved without confrontation.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Drawing a gun to protect property would get you in a jam most places.
    I tend to doubt that. Car jackings seem to be a different class of crime, but I would not bet either of our lives on it.

Regards,
    Jerry

Were there any other similar cars in the lot near you? If not I doubt it was a mistake. One guy was on drivers side, where was other one? Other than distance I would make sure there was something to use as cover. Otherwise came out well.
    Last edited by fireman836; January 20th, 2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typeo

Louisiana law seems to be OK with you defending your motor vehicle against forcible entry, so he would have been in the clear as long as it looked unlawful :)
    -Ryan

Unless I had a love one in the car I doubt that I would draw my weapon. It is just property and not worth taking/losing one's life over. That is the difference between car jacking and theft. Don't get me wrong I would HATE to have my stuff stolen but push come to shove it can be replaced. My family IS my life and I would gladly give it to save them. Sometimes it's better to just walk away and call the cops.

Carjacking is a whole different story. In the original scenario, the owner was just near the car, not in it. No physical threat.

But if they had continued their action, it would have been physical threat. You don't have to draw...You can say that's my car! Then if they don't stop and they get violent, they die. It became a physical threat. You don't have to let them drive away with your stuff, but you can match their force with your own.
    -Ryan

So what if they don't threaten you and just continue stealing your car? Are you going to become the aggressor?

Not with deadly force, but I would definitely rip them out of my car and use non lethal force.
    -Ryan

My only critique would be that you needed to make sure the car was between you and them when you let them realize it was your car. I think by your description you were a bit too close and exposed.

So what if they don't threaten you and just continue stealing your car? Are you going to become the aggressor?
    For them to steal my car they will have to run me over. That will make them the aggressor and I will then retaliate with like force.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I think you did good to be ready to draw. That nonviolent situation could have turned violent in a nanomillimicrosecond had he decided to rush you.

And kudos for being armed in the first place. You could have been in real trouble if they were BG's and you were unarmed.

Distinguished Member
    Well if it's in a parking lot, I suppose a person could stand in front or back of it therefor blocking it in, if they want to run over you, they just raised the bar. Would it work, I don't know, and I am not sure I would want to find out, but it does put the ball back in the BG's court.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I don't think you over reacted at all. Having had a run in with a no good scum bag type myself just this last week, I can tell you, it's hard to over react to them and under-reacting might just get you killed.

Were they trying to brak into the car in some way or were they just trying to open the door. They may have thought the car was their car, maybe they were drunk or maybe they were up to no good. You will never know. But what you do know is that you were ready if the situation went more South than it did.

Well done.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links