US Space and Rocket Center--CCW ?

This is a discussion on US Space and Rocket Center--CCW ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just learned tonight of a field trip that my son has to the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. This is the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Space and Rocket Center--CCW ?

I just learned tonight of a field trip that my son has to the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. This is the same place that hosts Space Camp.

Does anyone know the rules about carry there? Is it government or private, etc...? Is it posted?

Thanks,

We went there in 2002. I *think* it is government property. But, even if it is not, if you are going to be a chaperon, you will not be legal to carry anyway. If you have to ride the bus with the kids, then carrying will be off limits.

It is a very interesting place to visit. It's a great field trip.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    IIRC it's federal property, so no-go, not even in the parking lot.

The field trip is with a private school so no buses are involved. I would be driving my own vehicle or possibly riding with another friend who is also CCW.

I don't frequent federal property, but am I not allowed to properly store my weapon in my vehicle, or am I on my own for the entire trip?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I was just at Space and Rocket Center last year. I am originally from Decatur, a few miles south of Huntsville. I was visiting my brother who lives in H'ville.

If you havent been there lately just wait till you see the Saturn rocket, in its complete form, laying on its side in the Davidson building! That is awesome!!

The Space Center is part of Redstone Arsenal. Whatever rules apply to carrying on a military base would apply at the Space Center.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    But, even if it is not, if you are going to be a chaperon, you will not be legal to carry anyway. If you have to ride the bus with the kids, then carrying will be off limits.

Is this a Tennessee or Alabama law? I have never heard of this. Florida has no such clause in its concealed carry statutes.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by gmitch40 View Post
    The field trip is with a private school so no buses are involved. I would be driving my own vehicle or possibly riding with another friend who is also CCW.

I don't frequent federal property, but am I not allowed to properly store my weapon in my vehicle, or am I on my own for the entire trip?
    Can't speak for TN, but in FL, even a private school is treated the same. Same would be true for school-sponsored field trips in my opinion.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Is this a Tennessee or Alabama law? I have never heard of this. Florida has no such clause in its concealed carry statutes.
    Tally,

Which part? The Fed installation part or the school field trip part?

AFAIK, either will get you eating asphalt and time in the hoosegow.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks everyone. I'm still not sure if I will be able to go. If I do go, I guess I'll rely on good SA.

It's a government facility as in Federal.
    First hint is the "U.S." in it's name.

As it's not a National Park Service operated govt. property, the only exclusion, then the answer is no you cannot bring dangerous weapons nor carry firearms on your person nor stored in your car on to govt. property. Even if it were a military installation nothing would be different for Joe Blow, Citizen.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Both. I moved from Alabama in 2005 after having lived there for 12 years. Oddly, Alabama is one of the only states that has it's ccw law worded in such a way that makes it legal to carry concealed in a K-12 school as long as you have no ill intent. But it is still not legal to carry on a field trip or to any function that is school sponsored as I recall.

Here in TN it is illegal as well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I work on Redstone on what we call the NASA side. The Space and Rocket Center is just like the Arsenal, no weapons, ammo or knife with a blade of 3" or longer allowed on site.
    A crew of our guys are the one's who setup the Saturn V in it's new place. Got to help a little myself, very little, but got to do a free tour after it was finished. Way cool!!

Redstone Arsenal and NASA Marshall Spaceflight Center are strictly no-carry. I complain to NASA all the time about not being allowed to carry...some of us are lobbying for lockers at the main gate.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    Redstone Arsenal and NASA Marshall Spaceflight Center are strictly no-carry. I complain to NASA all the time about not being allowed to carry...some of us are lobbying for lockers at the main gate.
    Have there been any incidents of attacks on either of the facilities?

Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Both. I moved from Alabama in 2005 after having lived there for 12 years. Oddly, Alabama is one of the only states that has it's ccw law worded in such a way that makes it legal to carry concealed in a K-12 school as long as you have no ill intent. But it is still not legal to carry on a field trip or to any function that is school sponsored as I recall.

Here in TN it is illegal as well.

I will check but I dont remember seeing in Florida Statutes anything about a field trip, just school sponsored sporting events.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Oooopss..... I may have had it wrong.

Here are the Florida Statutes regarding concealed weapons at school sponsored events:

790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.--

(1) A person who exhibits any sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade, box cutter, or common pocketknife, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in the presence of one or more persons in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner and not in lawful self-defense, at a school-sponsored event or on the grounds or facilities of any school, school bus, or school bus stop, or within 1,000 feet of the real property that comprises a public or private elementary school, middle school, or secondary school, during school hours or during the time of a sanctioned school activity, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. This subsection does not apply to the exhibition of a firearm or weapon on private real property within 1,000 feet of a school by the owner of such property or by a person whose presence on such property has been authorized, licensed, or invited by the owner.

(2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:

1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;

2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

For the purposes of this section, "school" means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

(b) A person who willfully and knowingly possesses any electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in violation of this subsection commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(c)1. A person who willfully and knowingly possesses any firearm in violation of this subsection commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

2. A person who stores or leaves a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a minor who obtains the firearm and commits a violation of subparagraph 1. commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083; except that this does not apply if the firearm was stored or left in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would have believed to be secure, or was securely locked with a firearm-mounted push-button combination lock or a trigger lock; if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person; or to members of the Armed Forces, National Guard, or State Militia, or to police or other law enforcement officers, with respect to firearm possession by a minor which occurs during or incidental to the performance of their official duties.

(d) A person who discharges any weapon or firearm while in violation of paragraph (a), unless discharged for lawful defense of himself or herself or another or for a lawful purpose, commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Read this part!!

(e) The penalties of this subsection shall not apply to persons licensed under s. 790.06. Persons licensed under s. 790.06 shall be punished as provided in s. 790.06(12), except that a licenseholder who unlawfully discharges a weapon or firearm on school property as prohibited by this subsection commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) This section does not apply to any law enforcement officer as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (4), (6), (7), (8), (9), or (14).

(4) Notwithstanding s. 985.24, s. 985.245, or s. 985.25(1), any minor under 18 years of age who is charged under this section with possessing or discharging a firearm on school property shall be detained in secure detention, unless the state attorney authorizes the release of the minor, and shall be given a probable cause hearing within 24 hours after being taken into custody. At the hearing, the court may order that the minor continue to be held in secure detention for a period of 21 days, during which time the minor shall receive medical, psychiatric, psychological, or substance abuse examinations pursuant to s. 985.18, and a written report shall be completed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links