Is it normal?

This is a discussion on Is it normal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I finally got my CCP in WV. I have been anticipating this moment for quite a while. First off I got a wilderness belt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal?

Is it normal?

Today I finally got my CCP in WV. I have been anticipating this moment for quite a while. First off I got a wilderness belt and MTAC IWB holster with my p2000sk. The first time I carried today was to a Krogers (grocery store). It felt like I had a brick to my side. I am assuming it takes a little time to get used to it? I kept wanting to check it but resisted the urge to put my hands on it. I just wanted to see if others felt this way when they first started carrying. On a side note I want to say thanks to all who have provided the great information on this site. It has been a tremendous help!

2. Remove Ads

Don't worry, that feeling goes away. At first it seems as if you are carry a sign that says, "Gun! Gun!", but after a while it feels uncomfortable to NOT carry.

I normally carry a PF9. When I carry my Glock 19, I get a little of that feeling back.

A good belt, a good holster, and appropriate dress can hide most any handgun. Most people wouldn't know what they were seeing anyway, so just relax and welcome to the CCW family.

Distinguished Member
    Good news, glad you are carrying. If the odd feeling does not wear off after several attempts, you will have many good choices for a smaller CCW weapon in the near future. Kel-Tec P-3AT, Ruger LCP, Kahr 380, Sig 380, and some I have probably missed.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

"Don't worry, that feeling goes away" Check. At first one thinks the uncustomary "feel" must be observable.

I usually carry a brick or block (Glock). Hardly even know it's there.

You will soon get to the point where you forget its there. This isn't allways a good thing when you forget an go in some place thats restricted. I've dont that.

Michael

I had the opposite experience today. I got up this afternoon (I work nights), did the usual morning stuff, got dressed and as usual, put on my Glock 30 in it's CTAC. Ran a few errands then went to work. After I got to work, I realized I was still wearing my G30, (against company policy but not illegal). I am so used to having it on and the CTAC is so comfortable I just forgot it was there. Nobody noticed, and at the first opportunity I went to my car and put my weapon and holster in the trunk.

I normally follow company policy, not that I agree with it, but I understand that it is a policy I have agreed to as a condition for working there.

One exception to that was some time ago when another employee was fired, for several reasons, including "anger management" issues and threatening other employees. After that, I carried my Kahr PM9 iwb every day for a couple months. Nobody noticed that either, and though it was never discussed, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one carrying around there for a while.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Congratulations..from another mountaineer. What part of WV? And Yes...just like the others have said it will go away. With a quality weapon and holster/belt setup you have, as long as you dress appropriately nobody will notice. The general population are too busy wrapped up in their existence and every day lives to notice anything like you carrying. It will go away. I carry a G23 and nobody even pay attention.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Used to live in Utah and my company had a "no weapons in the building" policy. Got to work, hung my jacket on the hook near the door and proceeded down the main hallway to my desk with my H&K USP 40 proudly displayed in a Kramer MSP paddle rig on my side. I got about 30 yards inside the building before the light bulb in my head came on. The funny thing is, I passed 3 or 4 people in the hall and nobody even noticed!

Yep.......completely normal.

Congrats!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

At 1.4 lbs the H&K p2000sk is a lightweight in comparison to some, but you will still have to get use to having that weight on your side.

You did good by resisting the temptation of feeling or touching to confirm concealment, and with time you’ll forget it is there.

I have carried a pistol at 4 O’clock for so many years that today, in the summer when I pocket carry the little Kel-Tec 380 I carry my cell phone at 4 o’clock , because it feels weird for something not to be there.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Whenever you change your routine it will feel weird for awhile. The same happened to me when I changed primary carry holsters. Until it becomes part of your routine you will notice it and assume everyone else does too!

Once it is a part of your routine, though, it feels odd not to have it on. When we go to CA to visit family I have to leave my beloved XD at home in AZ...and it feels weird the whole time.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

To speed up the process, wear your rig around the house. I do that with my new rigs. It is a break in process. Welcome aboard.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sixliner6 View Post
    Today I finally got my CCP in WV. I have been anticipating this moment for quite a while. First off I got a wilderness belt and MTAC IWB holster with my p2000sk. The first time I carried today was to a Krogers (grocery store). It felt like I had a brick to my side. I am assuming it takes a little time to get used to it? I kept wanting to check it but resisted the urge to put my hands on it. I just wanted to see if others felt this way when they first started carrying. On a side note I want to say thanks to all who have provided the great information on this site. It has been a tremendous help!
    Yes I did,and just wait until summer when you are wearing less
    clothes.
    thats is why I have more than one gun, my Bersa .380cc
    disappears in a belly band.
    you will feel better when you get used to it
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    Completely normal when you first start carrying. The longer you carry the less you will notice it, until you finally get like most of us here, who feel naked if we don't have a gun on. Congrats on your permit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links