Finger got caught where it shouldn't have been

This is a discussion on Finger got caught where it shouldn't have been within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me a few weeks ago, and I have been mulling over my confession. I read lots of people criticizing other people on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finger got caught where it shouldn't have been

Finger got caught where it shouldn't have been

This happened to me a few weeks ago, and I have been mulling over my confession.

I read lots of people criticizing other people on ND/AD when holstering, well it almost happened to me. If it had been a Glock style weapon with no external safety, or if I carried in condition 1, it would have damn close if not happened.

I have been wearing the same rig (Baby Eagle, DA/SA, home made Cross Breed supertuck, IWB, 3:30 w/ forward cant.

I had just gotten dressed to go out errand running, went through the normal procedure of press check, safety off/on, mag check, then holster.

Well my booger pick was where it was supposed to be, where it always is (along side the frame). While holstering, my finger got snagged on either my jeans or the edge of the holster and got routed into the trigger guard area just enough to allow the very tip of my finger to get caught on the edge of the trigger and pulled the trigger as I inserted the weapon (muscle memory kept inserting the weapon before the emergency "STOP!!!" signal made it to my arm).

Normally when I holster once the barrel gets lined up inside the holster I point my booger pick away from the frame to allow it to be outside the holster and pants. Just this time for some reason, it got snagged and rerouted. It happened too fast for me to analyze what happened other that it happened.

I was not rushed, complacent or distracted. Just going through the procedures by the numbers like I have since I started carrying. Just one of those situations where Murphy had set the conditions up for it to happen.

This is the only time it has happened, the only time I have even been remotely close to my finger getting caught where it was not supposed to be.

Lessons learned;

I will not be so critical of people that do have ND/AD when holstering, I now know how it can happen.

I am modifying my holstering movements to make damn sure my finger is well clear of everything before the final insertion.

I don't re holster fast, it is a steady measured movement, but now it is even slower.

Be gentle
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

+1 for not shooting yourself.

I would say don't be too critical of yourself. While you did get close to an AD, you didn't actually fire the gun. You see what you did wrong, what you did right, and are adjusting to eliminate the chance of it happening again. stuff happens, for some odd reason that day you brain just didn't push hard enough to move your finger to that usual spot.

over all i would just say watch it, but you said you are. so be happy you didn't shoot yourself, or someone standing under your holster.

maybe practice with an unloaded gun till you get the hang of it
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post

maybe practice with an unloaded gun till you get the hang of it
    I have holstered my weapon probably 6k+ times in the last year. Daily activities, practice, range time, IDPA... The muscle memory is fully ingrained.

As with everything that can go wrong, it only takes once.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sometimes I wear my shirt tucked in with my IWB holster......I always look to make sure there is no part of my shirt overlapping the holster and I stretch the fabric tight in that area to make sure none of my shirt can possibly snag on the trigger every time I load up for the day. In competition, it's more commonplace for one not to look when re-holstering as the pistol has been cleared and dry fired. But had you been looking when holstering your pistol, you'd know exactly what happened and how. I do know you've learned a valuable lesson, and you didn't end up learning it the hard way. My suggestion in the future would be to look at what you're doing rather than instinctively indexing your pistol into the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I have holstered my weapon probably 6k+ times in the last year. Daily activities, practice, range time, IDPA... The muscle memory is fully ingrained.

As with everything that can go wrong, it only takes once.
    yea, i figured it wasn't your first time holstering. like you say though, it only takes once.

better luck next time is all i can say. seems like you know what your doing
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Think of this way................
    If you don't have to use you weapon in a self defense situation today, the biggest threat you face may be holstering and un-holstering. I used to carry a Glock 23, which in my experience was the "perfect" CCW firearm, but I always felt a little uneasy about the safety being in the trigger. All it takes is an errant windbreaker drawstring bead or a shirt tail to ruin the rest of your day.
    Last edited by Rotorblade; January 21st, 2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

Glad you're ok.

Nothing to add, except thanks for sharing. None of us is perfect and we can all make mistakes, no matter how experienced and trained we happen to be.

BTW......how did you explain the hole in the floor?!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Good reminders...thanks. Routine tends to lead to complacency...glad you caught it.

Rick

With more and more civilians getting CCLís, we are going to see additional AD in the news. Glad you werenít one of them, and glad you choice to share this with us. We all need to learn from your almost error.

Iím not saying that civilians are more likely to have an AD than an LEO, or military personnel, but today we have thousands of civilian carrying that 10 years ago where not.

It also sounds to me like you figured out what went wrong, and how to correct it, and like others have said Iíd practice re-holstering with your sidearm unloaded. Training, is the key to anything and firearm training is no exception.

Each of us have our own routine regarding holstering our sidearm, and for me I practice when I go to the range, by drawing from concealment, and then holstering. I guess thatís why I like OWB holsters.

Hairs came up on the back of my neck reading your account. Glad you're ok, and a good reminder/warning. Thanks for posting.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

and .........

Note to self.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

BTW......how did you explain the hole in the floor?!
    I don't think he actually did discharge his weapon, he managed to narrowly avoid it.

Anyways, glad your ok and that you managed to catch yourself in time. These things happen, and as you have proven to yourself, it can happen to anyone. You are fortunate that you managed to mentally interrupt your muscle memory. That can be a very hard thing to do.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I'm glad all is well. Once the "body" of my G23 is mostly in the holster, I push the remains of the gun via the back of the slide/body. Therefore, my finger is nowhere near the trigger.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Those situations are tough to think about. Not the same, but one time, about 4th grade, I was walking home from school. There were crossing guards at the the only major road that need to be crossed. One of the trouble making peers yelled, "Cross." He was not the guard. Well, just habit, I start walking across and almost get hit. 20 + years, I still think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    ...I don't re holster fast, it is a steady measured movement, but now it is even slower...
    +1

I am EXTREMELY careful to avoid this.

When I was a NASA contractor in Cleveland, one of the contract security guards shot himself in the leg with his Glock 17 while on the Fairview Park PD range. He did this by holstering his firearm with his finger on the trigger. I guarantee you those guns didn't have 3.5lb. connectors either.

In fact, I switched holsters for my Glock 19 precisely because I was concerned about the issue. When I first got my Ohio CHL, I bought a Bianchi clip on IWB holster for my Glock 19. The top of the holster isn't reinfiorced to make it easy to holster your firearm. I had to fight so much with the holster to get the gun into it, that I was afraid that I might inadvertently pull the trigger while fumbling with it. After only using it for a few days, I replaced it at the first opportunity with a Don Hume 715M clip on that's MUCH easier to put the gun into.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links