Gun safe under driver's seat

This is a discussion on Gun safe under driver's seat within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I drive a Jeep Wrangler, I needed some way to lock up my Glock when I go somewhere I cannot carry. I mounted a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun safe under driver's seat

Since I drive a Jeep Wrangler, I needed some way to lock up my Glock when I go somewhere I cannot carry. I mounted a SafeBox under the driver's seat. I have had it there for about 4 months and talk to a few LEOs and they have seen it.

Well, today while talking about CWPs and other topics with a couple friends (one who works at Gitmo), <-- mentions that it is against Florida Statutes to have a safe under the seat... I asked him to clarify and he went on to say that the only place you can carry while in the car is on your person. I disagreed... now, he reinforced the fact of having a safe there and said I should move it to the passenger side...

Anyone out there know the reality of this? Is there such a statute? I also use the safe for my stereo and other items I want to lock up...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

There's no law, that I know of, that forbids the safe itself. I've owned open body Jeeps since I was a teenager and given the ability to drive those models without tops, doors, etc, I've mounted some type of safe under seats in evey one of them for secure storage myself.

As far as I know, in the state of Florida, you firearm simply has to be secured. That's in a glovebox, center console, etc. Doesn't even have to be locked. Just not "out in the open" in other words. You can't have it laying in the passenger seat, or on the floorboard behind you, etc.

So, I see no basis for any problems locking it up in an underseat "safe" when you are unable to CC.

The only laws about guns in cars in Florida is that it must be "securely encased" and "out of view"! After a recent ruling, even your employer can't even prohibit you from keeping a gun in your car on company property.

I too drive a Jeep, and lock my pistol in the center console, when I have to drop in someplace for a few minutes where I cannot carry.

Florida regulations regarding transporting a firearm state it must be locked in the glove box.

However, the spirit of that law is that the pistol cannot be stored under the seat, but instead must be stored in a compartment. So your safe under the seat would qualify.

(b) No public or private employer may violate the privacy rights of a
    customer, employee, or invitee by verbal or written inquiry regarding the presence of a firearm inside or locked to a private motor vehicle in a parking lot or by an actual search of a private motor vehicle in a parking lot to ascertain the presence of a firearm within the vehicle. Further, no public or private employer may take any action against a customer, employee, or invitee based upon verbal or written statements of any party concerning possession of a firearm stored inside a private motor vehicle in a parking lot for lawful purposes.
    http://laws.flrules.org/files/Ch_2008-007.pdf
    PDF of Florida statues regarding firearms

Look up the brand "Tuffy Boxes". I installed 4 in my wife's Wrangler. Perhaps there is one that works for you.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    Since I drive a Jeep Wrangler, I needed some way to lock up my Glock when I go somewhere I cannot carry. I mounted a SafeBox under the driver's seat. I have had it there for about 4 months and talk to a few LEOs and they have seen it.

Well, today while talking about CWPs and other topics with a couple friends (one who works at Gitmo), <-- mentions that it is against Florida Statutes to have a safe under the seat... I asked him to clarify and he went on to say that the only place you can carry while in the car is on your person. I disagreed... now, he reinforced the fact of having a safe there and said I should move it to the passenger side...

Anyone out there know the reality of this? Is there such a statute? I also use the safe for my stereo and other items I want to lock up...

Your friend is wrong. In FL, a weapon may be carried in private conveyance if it is "securely encased" . Ch 790.25(3)(l) applies.

It does not have to be in the glove compartment nor does it have to be locked. Center console, zippered pistol rug, holster with a retention strap, briefcase, etc....are all examples of perfectly allowable methods of carrying in the car. There is no other requirement with respect to leaving a firearm in the car, though common sense tells us to ensure it's secured as best we can. Towards that end, like you, we prefer a dedicated, locked safe under the seat. I use the COM in both of our cars.

As always, I'll highly recommend Jon Gutmacher's book on FL firearms law, use and ownership if you don't already have a copy.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

Florida regulations regarding transporting a firearm state it must be locked in the glove box.

Absolutely untrue. It simply needs to be "securely encased". As an example of how loosely defined "securely encased" is, there's case law that found that a purse with a simple flap over the opening met the requirement because the flap had to be moved in order to withdraw the weapon.

Urquiola v. State, 590 So.2d 497 (Fla 3DCA 1991) for those interested in such things.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I keep going to the Gutmacher's site to order the book...then get distracted... I'll have to pick it up soon. The safe is probably the most secure part of my Jeep. Its bolted to the floor, then has some 16 gauge steel encasing it that is bolted down along with the seat. The only way to get this thing out is with a torch (after the seat is removed) If I run into my LEO buddy today, I'll see what he says...maybe there is some obscure statute that goes along with no elephants without leashes or something
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Absolutely untrue. It simply needs to be "securely encased". As an example of how loosely defined "securely encased" is, there's case law that found that a purse with a simple flap over the opening met the requirement because the flap had to be moved in order to withdraw the weapon.

Urquiola v. State, 590 So.2d 497 (Fla 3DCA 1991) for those interested in such things.

ooops I stand correct. I did not mean to say locked

mkh
    FL 790.001 Definitions.

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

VIP Member
    Tell your friend to give you a statute reference. Without something in writing it is nothing more than hearsay. Same goes with what LEO friends say, unless they can provide a statute reference it is nothing more than hearsay and is no more legal than anything you are told on line.

mkh
    Lots of LEOs, State Attorneys, defense lawyers and judges don't know the law. Read this to see what can happen even though your are "legal" -

CRIMINAL DEFENSE SERVICES BLOG by Orlando Criminal Defense Attorney JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    On another thread on this site, someone was asking a similar question about how to secure the gun in a jeep while they are not in the vehicle. I am planning on getting wrangler myself soon. The two links are for a secure glove box, and a secure center console to replace the plastic ones that come witht he jeep.

JK Security Glove Box for Jeep Wrangler, JK

JK Security Console for Jeep Wrangler, JK

As a side note you can also get door hinge locks for the removable doors that also use the same key.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I use this one with the cable around the seat mount.

In Car Gun Safe

Stay safe.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    On another thread on this site, someone was asking a similar question about how to secure the gun in a jeep while they are not in the vehicle. I am planning on getting wrangler myself soon. The two links are for a secure glove box, and a secure center console to replace the plastic ones that come witht he jeep.

JK Security Glove Box for Jeep Wrangler, JK

JK Security Console for Jeep Wrangler, JK

As a side note you can also get door hinge locks for the removable doors that also use the same key.
    thanks I may get me one of those

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links