Shoulder Rig vs Coat Pocket?

This is a discussion on Shoulder Rig vs Coat Pocket? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a wool coat that has a pocket sewn inside by the left breast that fits my PT140 quit nicely. Lately I have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

I have a wool coat that has a pocket sewn inside by the left breast that fits my PT140 quit nicely. Lately I have been opting for putting it there as opposed to an IWB holster because of ease of draw. I'm curious if it would be better to go with a shoulder rig than to keep using that pocket? The coat wasn't designed to be a CC type coat, the pocket is just big enough to do so. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Do you have a shoulder rig?

I really only use my shoulder rig for snowmobiling and when outdoors in my bibs and jacket in the winter (gets hard to acces gun otherwise).
    Pray for our nations leaders!

What advantage are you looking for the shoulder rig to provide? More secure storage? Faster access? Flexibility in case you remove your coat?

Right now, it appears you have a system that works for you. If so, why change? I will caution you that over time the pistol may wear holes in the pocket, which carrying in a shoulder rig will alleviate. Other than that, though, I can't see a good reason to change unless you have specific needs per the questions above.

Consider this

you might consider having the pocket reinforced to accomodate your CC. It won't be specific to one model and you will have spent far less. Also, who needs another holster in the box that you rarely wear which is what I suspect will happen. A shouldder holster is nice if you drive alot or you are sitting behind a desk but there are down sides as well. For example- when you draw from a shoulder rig you are sweeping everything in front of you and to your weak side with your muzzle. That's not to say that they don't have a place for some, hell, I have one, but I think thier usefulness is limited and could negate justification of price and purchase. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    Do you have a shoulder rig?

I really only use my shoulder rig for snowmobiling and when outdoors in my bibs and jasket in the winter (gets hard to acces gun otherwise).
    No, I don't currently own a shoulder rig. I just thought that it may be safer/easier to carry it in a shoulder rig. Sounds like that's not the case though. Thanks for the input
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Might want to consider a (rather large?) pocket holster for the weapon to go in that pocket (if it will still fit). Something like a DeSantis Nemesis is probably available. It will prevent picking up lint and such from the pocket, and may prolong the life of the pocket by protecting the fabric from the sharper edges of the firearm.

Other possibilities are to have the pocket reinforced or even leather lined by a good seamstress. Now if you WANT a shoulder holster, that's a different thing altogether. No reason NOT to get one if you want it. But if the pocket suits your needs, and wearing it out isn't a concern, carry on!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Lead Moderator
    Is the gun secure in the pocket? If you fall, get pushed , lean over can the pistol fall out? Does the pocket protect the trigger area? All things to consider before dismissing a holster as not needed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Is the gun secure in the pocket? If you fall, get pushed , lean over can the pistol fall out? Does the pocket protect the trigger area? All things to consider before dismissing a holster as not needed.
    Excelent points!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post

those are all great points. it does protect the trigger area, and it's relatively secure (doesn't really move around when I'm wearing it). I'm not sure if it will fall if i lean over...guess I should test that out. Don't worry, I'll triple make sure that it's unloaded ;-)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I use a nemesis holster and carry my G26 in coat pocket all the time.

Commerce Storefront B2C

figure the holster keep the pistol safe and secure, and also protects the pocket of whatever coat Iím carrying it in.

I have 2 SIG ARMS jackets with built in holsters ( both left and right inside carry pockets). I use them as an addition carry location. Minimum 2 carry guns (G30 and S&W 342pd/Walther PPS) plus a BUG (KT.380) in the back pants pocket. I like the jacket for car carry.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

If you decide to keep you CC in your coat pocket, I'd suggest, as others have, that you get some kind of reinforcement for your coat pocket. The inside pocket was not designed for carry and if you use it alot it will wear real fast. I have a knife that I used to carry in my pocket . . . it wore a hole through real fast. I now clip it on the edge of my pocket.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

stick with the pocket holster in the coat pocket. make sure when you bend over, your weapon does not fall out.

It's my understanding that John Wesley Hardin, arguably one of the best shootists in the old west, had a leather vest made with sewn in pockets on both sides. These were custom fit for his favorite revolvers and were cross draw. If this system kept him alive it might work for you also. You might also consider a two pocket system for your favorite pistol with one pocket for the barrel, and/or trigger and guard with about an inch or so to slip the grip into after the handgun barrel has been inserted into the pocket for it. This two point system would force you to lift the pistol grip an inch or so before drawing but should secure the weapon up and down and side to side. The use of a vest sould also make the carry a little more comfortable when compared to a shoulder rig and reduce printing when worn between shirt and coat. You might consider putting the pocket(s) on the outside of the vest and installing a zipper to hold the vest in place around your upper body. That could increase printing. You might also go all out and custom make/fit the vest to your body and then custom fit the angle/rotation/location of the weapon to fit your body too.

VIP Member

Both are good, either way you cannot take your coat off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links