Interesting poll in class this week

This is a discussion on Interesting poll in class this week within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little background first... I am in a medical program in college, so all my classes are outlined for me. Everyone in the program takes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting poll in class this week

Interesting poll in class this week

A little background first...
    I am in a medical program in college, so all my classes are outlined for me. Everyone in the program takes the same classes, which means we are together a lot. This wasn't in some hour long lecture class where you sit down and never talk to anyone, we spend about 5 hours a day together and know and trust each other very well. I wouldn't even consider it otherwise. Another tidbit, there are 4 of us guys and 12 women.

So, one of the first classes we had together was an ethics class. In it the teacher liked to have little mini debates by posing a statement/question and dividing into agree/neutral/disagree sections. They were really alot of fun because some of the opinions people gave I never would have expected from them. After that quarter ended and she is now teaching a different class, we still do them occasionally when the lecture gets boring and we need a break from the monotony.

Last week we did one again and I submitted my question. There was also a public forum on the main campus last quarter sponsored by the debate club about it. Should CPLs be valid on campus? It is NOT illegal in WA, it is only against school policy.

I was expecting a fairly agreeable tone from the class considering we are mostly conservatives and quite a few own guns. Turns out there were 2 that were against, 11 that were neutral (but most of them admitted positive inclination), and 3 of us pro. The one of the girls that was pro with me I already knew to be a CPL holder so that was no surprise, the other lady is an avid hunter, but I dont think she nor her husband have a CPL.

Over all, it was a very interesting discussion. Like I said, many of the neutrals were gun owners themselves, but their main reasons for discontent were along the lines that the carrier might loose it or someone take it from their bags (but we all know purse/bag carry is bad dont we?). That just flabbergasted me. Just because someone else MIGHT be irresponsible means that we should restrict everybody? Nobody would ever get a drivers licence with that mindset!

It was only like a 15 minute discussion in the middle of class. We are all still friends and even though I didnt say it directly (the other girl did though) I think they all know I have my licence. That doesnt bother me though, I expected that when I said it. Funny thing though, I was carrying at the time like I always do (wearing scrubs with a smartcarry) and nobody asked me about it nor has ever noticed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Funny thing though, I was carrying at the time like I always do (wearing scrubs with a smartcarry) and nobody asked me about it nor has ever noticed.
    You are willing to be expelled just to carry? I am in the same position...it is legal but the school can take actions since it is against their policy. I do not carry.

Then again, maybe your school wouldn't punish it like mine would. I doubt there is a single conservative in the entire faculty here, so expulsion in the event of clothing malfunction is pretty much guaranteed.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Like I said, many of the neutrals were gun owners themselves, but their main reasons for discontent were along the lines that the carrier might loose it or someone take it from their bags (but we all know purse/bag carry is bad dont we?). That just flabbergasted me. Just because someone else MIGHT be irresponsible means that we should restrict everybody? Nobody would ever get a drivers licence with that mindset!
    This is just projection. They are afraid of what THEY might do if they had a gun on their person all day, and instead of admitting to it they project it onto people in general.

My father feels the same way.. Although to his credit he at least admits that he feels that way about himself and not just 'other people'.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Over all, it was a very interesting discussion.

their main reasons for discontent were along the lines that the carrier might loose it or someone take it from their bags (but we all know purse/bag carry is bad dont we?). That just flabbergasted me. Just because someone else MIGHT be irresponsible means that we should restrict everybody?
    Sounds like an interesting discussion. Good job getting the idea planted. I agree it would be irresponsible to leave a pistol unattended in a bag, but most people I know with a CPL are exceptionally responsible.

Did the discussion talk any about good reasons for having a CPL on campus? (slow police response time, VT massacre, rape equalizer, deterrent factor...?)

Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    This is just projection. They are afraid of what THEY might do if they had a gun on their person all day, and instead of admitting to it they project it onto people in general.

This is a very true statement.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 23rd, 2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

What I feel is sad for those that are neutral. The ANTI's are teaming up together and are stripping us of our rights and priviledges. Animal rights groups and enviromental groups are teaming up with gun control groups to slowly win. If you can't own a gun then you can't hunt. If you can't hunt, you won't be biking or driving in the back country. Do you get it? You may not do or care about what I do, but it may eventually affect what you like or do. In order for us to win our own battles we need to help others. I don't own an AR or AK but I will fight for your right to own one. You may not trap like I do, but if I loose because you will not support me, you may loose because I won't support you. The ANTI's know this. Divide and Conquer one at a time. We as gun owners, hunters (bow or gun), fishermen, trappers, bike owners, ect. need to combine forces in order to keep our rights and priviledges. One big voice is far better than several small voices.

Good question..

Another good hypocritical question for your class

If someone broke into your apartment/home and was in the process of slashing a loved one with a knife would you be willing to use deadly force to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    You are willing to be expelled just to carry? I am in the same position...it is legal but the school can take actions since it is against their policy. I do not carry.
    All I know is that I'm not trusting my life to wishful thinking. If your concealment is good enough then no one would ever find out. Good enough for me is a jacket + shirt over an IWB holster, but I don't care if I get expelled because it's just a weekly class that I'm taking for enrichment and I'm acting lawfully. If I were a full time student then I'd be thinking about deep concealment with a pocket pistol.

Great story though I have 2 main concerns. 1) Don't get yourself kicked out of schools just because liberals run out centers of higher education. 2) It is time for people to get off of the fence and quit being neutral. It is the fence sitters in this country that are unwilling to stand up for their rights that cost us all in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Did the discussion talk any about good reasons for having a CPL on campus? (slow police response time, VT massacre, rape equalizer, deterrent factor...?)
    There was a rape in the gym lockers a few months ago that most of them had never heard of. I was surprised about that.

I'm not really worried about getting kicked out even if they saw it. For one, I dont think they would report me. Even those those that are anti know me enough. For another, its just a community college that I have been going to since I was 16. I've also had two separate on-campus jobs and know most of the faculty personally. In short, I got enough connections :D

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    There was a rape in the gym lockers a few months ago that most of them had never heard of. I was surprised about that.

I'm not really worried about getting kicked out even if they saw it. For one, I dont think they would report me. Even those those that are anti know me enough. For another, its just a community college that I have been going to since I was 16. I've also had two separate on-campus jobs and know most of the faculty personally. In short, I got enough connections :D
    Discretion is advised. Unless you are much more astute than the average, you're expectations may not be met. Don't show! Don't tell! Be safe! Protect yourself, and others if you choose.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Ah your descriptions of your class brings back fond memories. Sitting in the same room (auditorium, actually), as the instructors changed. No attendance taken, so if you needed time off for something, no problem (though you had best know the material). We had "note service" which was great. We each paid a fee at the beginning of each semester, and for each class, someone took notes for the class. There was also a recording made some that the note taker could review his notes for completeness, then the notes were given to a transcriptionist, who most of the time timed them up and copied them for each of us (some of the transcribers didn't type, but had fantastic penmanship, something that I'm sure didn't last through the entire program, mine sure didn't). It allowed me to actually concentrate on the lecture, rather than scribbling notes as fast as possible, with the information going into the ear, and going straight to the pen, without any stop in between. I was in the Physician Assistant program at George Washington University in DC. What program are you in? MD? PA?NP? Sorry for going off topic, but the class's description took me back. I do apologize.

This year I'm going for CST, then next year when I graduate from it then I want to go on and get a BA as an RN. I dont want to get a MD because that takes too long and has more restrictions where I can live. As a CST and RN I'll be able to go anywhere in the country and get a job easily.

Maybe I should throw in some more abbreviations in there...

Quote Originally Posted by trapper T View Post
    What I feel is sad for those that are neutral. The ANTI's are teaming up together and are stripping us of our rights and priviledges. Animal rights groups and enviromental groups are teaming up with gun control groups to slowly win. If you can't own a gun then you can't hunt. If you can't hunt, you won't be biking or driving in the back country. Do you get it? You may not do or care about what I do, but it may eventually affect what you like or do. In order for us to win our own battles we need to help others. I don't own an AR or AK but I will fight for your right to own one. You may not trap like I do, but if I loose because you will not support me, you may loose because I won't support you. The ANTI's know this. Divide and Conquer one at a time. We as gun owners, hunters (bow or gun), fishermen, trappers, bike owners, ect. need to combine forces in order to keep our rights and priviledges. One big voice is far better than several small voices.
    +10!
    As I recall, this is how Hitler slowly subverted his people, by dividing, and one at a time eliminating groups, until there were none left to disagree.

A few years ago, I was finishing my BS at University of Phoenix (CO).
    It is (was) legal to carry at non state schools, but against school policy. Most of the time I kept it locked up in the Jeep, but as I became aware of an increase in crime in the neighborhood, and we would get out of classes at 10:00PM, I began carrying in classes and kept it concealed.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Where I go to school, it is illegal to carry a gun, so I'm limited to folders. That means I just have to get closer and be quicker to achieve the desired result. By the time I go back to finish school however, I'll be legal to carry.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links