Traveling with a co-worker - Page 2

Traveling with a co-worker

This is a discussion on Traveling with a co-worker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It sucks. I didn't have to share rooms at the last company I worked for either. I still spend about as much time in hotels ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling with a co-worker

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    It sucks. I didn't have to share rooms at the last company I worked for either. I still spend about as much time in hotels as I did with the last company but not on the road with co-workers as often so it only comes up every couple months.

And, it's not so tough to keep hidden (like I said). When the other person goes to the bathroom, I unholster and stick it in a side pouch of my luggage which sits next to the bed. In the morning, I hide it between clothes while the other person is in the bathroom and holster while getting dressed (after the shower) when it's my turn in the bathroom.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I recently learned that several of my co-workers have been carrying for years! We've shared hotel rooms, and worked beside each other hour after hour after hour.... and I never knew. I'll admit that I was curious/shocked/uncomfortable/puzzled when I found out, but after the initial shock (...how did I miss this...???) I am still a little bit unsure about the whole concept. But no so unsure that I haven't taken the class and applied for my permit. The people that I know are stable, even-tempered, "normal" folks. As I sit here typing this, I'm glad that I know them, and I will be EXCEPTIONALLY happy that I know them if we are ever forced into a situation where their years of patience and range practice may make all the difference.

Ohhhh, one more thing! If you carry, and you don't know how your co-worker might respond (they didn't choose to share your room after all...) then being as discrete as possible may be the best approach. If you can find the time to get to know them a little bit, letting your travel buddy understand that your are a licensed weapons carrying citizen may help them deal with the fact that they aren't and deal with the surprise of finding out later!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    Company policy. If two people are traveling to the same place they share a room, unless they're of the opposite sex.
    Seems backwards to me.

Personally, I would get my own room.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As I said, I haven't had to travel on company business since I started carrying. I now have 3 carry guns. The first, my primary carry weapon is my XD 45, which I carry in an IWB holster. But for work, or places where I cannot dress to conceal the XD, I carry my Glock 26 (soon to be changed to my Glock 30), in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I have no trouble carrying it in Dockers. So, if I were to travel on business, I have the option of my IWB holster and COM safe, or the Glock in the pocket holster. Either would work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Seems backwards to me.

Personally, I would get my own room.
    There's nothing backwards about it. It's simply a way to save money.

Getting back to the point - I guess being discreet and hiding the gun until the other person is in the bathroom would work. Thanks for the comments.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

I am fortunate. I share a hard case with my co worker. That way only one has to declare.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Padawan View Post
    I am fortunate. I share a hard case with my co worker. That way only one has to declare.
    I think you are referring to flying. That wasn't the original question of the post. That's a bridge I'll have to cross sooner or later or leave mine at home since there are times when we fly together. So far, everytime we've flown together, I wasn't able to have my firearm anyway so it hasn't been an issue yet. (like chicago or a convention center in other states)
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links