Traveling with a co-worker

This is a discussion on Traveling with a co-worker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just came back from a 2-day business trip to Orlando. I was driving by myself, and staying in a hotel room alone, so carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a co-worker

Traveling with a co-worker

I just came back from a 2-day business trip to Orlando. I was driving by myself, and staying in a hotel room alone, so carrying my 442 was not an issue, but it got me thinking - what if I was traveling with a co-worker and we shared a room?

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this? Did you decide to carry? I wouldn't want my co-workers knowing that I carry, and in a situation like that it would be hard to hide, especially when I'm taking a shower or going to sleep.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

2. Remove Ads

I have experienced something similar. During bike week up here in Laconia, my wife and I stay in the same room as her sister and brother in law. Last year I carried and no one knew until we left. I would disarm ONLY in the bathroom and wrap it up in my jeans and it sat right on a chair next to my bed. I think if I were to be in a room with a co worker, I would probably carry my COM safe and still wrap it up in my pants. I realize I lose the speed of presentation but I only have that problem while I sleep.
    To whom much is given, much is required. Luke 12:48

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I haven't had a business trip since I began carrying, but I believe that I would go ahead and carry. Major99 has a great idea, and my save is biometric, making it easier to get into should it be needed in the room (very unlikely). But if the coworker saw my weapon, I would simply tell him that I had my CCW permit, and it's legal, then ask him to keep it to himself.

cj
    My method in similar situations has been to slip it (in a pocket or other small holster) into an extra sock, near the opening, and wrap the sock a bit around it (to cover it, not to secure it). It's still quick to grab if needed, and is extremely inconspicuous if spotted in your bag, or even if you're carrying it in a pile of clothes back and forth to the shower.

Edit to add: I've done this backpacking, camping, and in hotel rooms. I've never needed it (thank God), and no one's ever spotted it.

VIP Member
    In my last job it was not unusual to go out of town to work, company would put 2 people to a room. I always carried and would lock my gun in my COM safe in my car during the day. The guys I worked with knew I was into guns, and no one ever said anything about it. If they had complained I guess the company would have had to pay for 2 rooms instead of one.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Traveled to Fl. with a coworker last Spring (separate cars, shared hotel room) for a two week job. Took my COM safes (one for the car, one for the room). I let him know about the weapon, let him know I was legal to carry in Fl. and let him know it needed to be kept between us. I knew the guy well enough that I knew he could be trusted. Couldn't carry at the job (Nuke Plant), but was able to leave it in the car secured in the COM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I'd let them know just in case they get nosy and find it anyway

SmartCarry and sweatpants, if you can sleep comfortably like that. Otherwise, you would have to figure out something to do with it while you're asleep.

When I worked for corporate America back in the 80s; when we traveled we never stayed in the same room.

However, I was single at the time, and a found myself entertaining young ladys a few times a week. When we went to the room, or back to her place, I would take my jacket off, and lay it over my pistol in a chair when she went to the bathroom. The holster is the key. I used a IWB clip style holster, and the clip did not hold on to my pants/belt real hard. Thus I was able to remove the holster and pistol easily at the same time.

Sure, the holster may come with the pistol when you draw, but with practice you get use to removing the pistol without the holster. Converting an IWB holster is easy. Bend the barb down that locks the holster to the inside of our belt/pants. And put a piece of wood under the spring for a few today to give the spring new memory, or having less hold.

Hope this helps.

The company that I currently work for is very anti-gun. The management has even given the impression that this still applies while traveling for work. Personally, I believe that this only applies when I'm in the corporate office building.

In saying that, just review your corporate policies to see if this stuff applies. It's just something else to consider. What if you're sharing the room with your boss? Hopefully, he doesn't believe that this policy extends beyond the corporate office.

If its a 442 just leave it in your pocket and no one will be the wiser.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I've had to share a car and hotel room with my boss a few times and one of our service guys once over the last six months. Carried every time, it's not that hard to keep it hidden. I found out the service guy has a CCW but I didn't let on about mine. I don't know what the boss' thoughts on CCW are and I don't care to find out. So, likewise, I didn't feel the coworker needed to know either even if he felt the need to fess up. I let him know I didn't have a problem with it and we talked about guns. I just never bothered to let him know my Glock was tucked IWB as we were speaking.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

In that situation I would first ask why I had to share a room.

After that I would holster and unholster in the bath room, and put the gun in what looks like a shaving kit. At night have it right by the bed where you can get to it and it is still "hidden".
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    In that situation I would first ask why I had to share a room.
    Company policy. If two people are traveling to the same place they share a room, unless they're of the opposite sex. Everybody shares rooms, even the president.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    Company policy. If two people are traveling to the same place they share a room, unless they're of the opposite sex. Everybody shares rooms, even the president.
    I guess I have just been spoiled.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links