Defensive Carry banner

Gun on Private Plane in FL

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  smotta 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Does anyone have any definitive sources on the legality of carrying a personal firearm (with CWP OF COURSE) on a private plane you will be piloting in Florida. This would of course assume that you will be walking straight out to the plane and WILL NOT trepass a metal detector or security checkpoint.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
On those types of flights, I believe the regulation (not sure if its law) is that as long as the captain is okay with it, you are ok.

Some charter companies will outlaw it outright. However, you stated that you will be flying your own plane. In this case, there's nothing wrong with keeping it on the plane; you just need to be concerned about the airports and areas you will be going while armed, or maybe just having a weapon in your luggage or a bag.

#3 ·
I will be flying as I'm going to be starting flight school. The plane will be a rental. The instructor is a friend of my fathers and I'm 99.9% sure he'd be ok with it, but I'll probably let him know just for his info.

Does it being a rental change anything?

#4 ·
the question has to stand, are you the PIC? is it a 135 flight (CHARTER)? is the aircraft owned and operated by YOU or is it LEASED or perhaps you are an employee of a FAR part 91 company? are you an LEO?

as a 135 flight (charter), look up the FAR part 135.119.
as an LEO, check out FAR part 108.219.
you also may want to look at FAR part 13.29. these are the penalties of "carrying" any "device" that may cause harm or destruction of presons, properties, and the like.

as for flying with it inside Fla. ? check out not just the concealed carry laws but the handgun laws in general too.

ALWAYS REMEMBER, the PIC has the FINAL authority on any question relating to..........remember this now, "THE SAFETY OF FLIGHT". that being said, as captain and pic, if questioned, you could always throw that flag up!

hope it helps

#5 ·
As I stated in my reply post, the plane will be rented for the training. I presume until I am fully certified and licensed, the instructor would be the Pilot in Command (presuming that's what PIC means). Thanks for all the input.

FYI I am not LEO

#6 ·
As I stated in my reply post, the plane will be rented for the training. I presume until I am fully certified and licensed, the instructor would be the Pilot in Command (presuming that's what PIC means). Thanks for all the input.

FYI I am not LEO
The PIC is the final authority for everything affecting the safe outcome of the flight (paraphrasing here of course). If you aren't PIC I could see how you could technically be in violation of one of the FARs, but as far as state law is concerned, I doubt you would be illegal. I would discuss it casually with your instructor and see what his/her opinion about concealed carry is. Once you're PIC it's up to you as long as you follow state laws where you travel. Fly safe!!

CPL, MEL/SEL, IFR M&P 40c :wink:

#7 ·
Although you will be getting PIC time during your training - your instructor may not wish you to carry. Also these facilities could be considered schools. In general - the FAA allows guns to be carried on GA aircraft provided the PIC gives his/her okay. If you are flying under your private certificate as PIC you will be ok. Keep in mind that state laws also apply. Do a search in the forums at AOPA Online: Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association - just search on carrying a gun or firearm. Not all pilots are gun friendly - infact it is about split.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Tomorrow is my first flight, and I'm going to leave it locked in my car. We're going out for lunch after the flight and I think I'll beat around and see if I can accertain his position.

If anyone else has any comments I'd love to hear them. Thanks again for all the help guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.