On-line attitude?

This is a discussion on On-line attitude? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just how important is the on-line attitude displayed on this type of Forum? I've been reading and taking part in some discussions on another forum ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On-line attitude?

Question On-line attitude?

Just how important is the on-line attitude displayed on this type of Forum?

I've been reading and taking part in some discussions on another forum and I've read far too many "Just cap his butt" post. And I'm not talking about brand-new members who may be caught up in some form of juvinile excitement, but Senior members, who often make the most outrageous post.

Even the worst of these post seldom elicit a moderator's response. When another forum member points out that such post would be very bad for the public perception of the CCW community, they are often met with derision, or the poster will say that the offensive post was meant as "humor."

This is not a problem on this Forum, I'm happy to say.

I've just reported a post on that "other forum" to the moderators and asked how I can be removed from their data base. There's no instructions on how to "quit" a forum posted anywhere.

I know I can just stop going there, but I want the people who run the forum to know why they are losing a member. Maybe at least one of them will at least give some thought to the direction that forum is going.

I think the "mall-nija" and "wannabe" post that are the accepted norm on that forum is an embarrassment to the CCW community and I really want to terminate any connection to it that I have.

Am I just "over the top" on this? Taking things too seriously?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure, to tell ya the truth.. I'm sure if a shoot was iffy and even if it was a good shoot, in Civil court they will try to find anything to use against you and the just shoot him, "cap" him, etc could be made out by them as you are trigger happy ..

Hopefully a urban legeand but no telling

There's one gun related Forum that I refuse to go to. Seems anything goes over there and, like you, I just don't want to be associated with that sort of thing. Seems every other post is f--- this, f--- that or f--- you and with all those anti-gun organizations trying to paint us as a bunch of hot heads itching to "cap" someone, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to play into their hands.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    There's one gun related Forum that I refuse to go to. Seems anything goes over there and, like you, I just don't want to be associated with that sort of thing. Seems every other post is f--- this, f--- that or f--- you and with all those anti-gun organizations trying to paint us as a bunch of hot heads itching to "cap" someone, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to play into their hands.
    Jack
    In my line of work everyday i see that common sense just does not exsist any more.. Not saying stuff like that would be common sense.

Why leave your self open for problems

I also cant believe people think you can be totally anoymous on the internet .. Not gonna happen

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I think a lot of us here are shall we say " middle aged + " .We have long ago learned the fact that what you say or write can come back to haunt you. as for the " other forum " ( i have my suspitiions which but it could be any of several ) I just let the kiddys play and only hit them for " tupperware " specefic info , occationaly i will serf other forums , more for the comedy value of the " know it alls " than anything , Myself i am an " informed student " of matters pertaining to violent social discourse, no more than that . Here things dont seem to get too wild and folks actualy seem to think before they type so imho its a good bet they will think before they act . My advice is while its ok to go watch the kiddys play Most adults dont get down in the sandbox with them LOL

I'd forgotten about that one RR - make that TWO Forums I don't go to because of stuff like that.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    This forum seems to be filled with quiet, polite folks who honestly want to exchange info, ideas, and some humor. Pretty unique in the fact, everyone seems to get along just fine. I find surfing here alot more fun than other sites. Hats off to Bumper, the mods,(anyone else I forgot) and all the members.

Administrator

Thumbs up

I guess most every firearm forum has their Captain Blood type "Rack The Slide Kill Em & Grill Em" forum members.

I honestly don't know why their moderators don't edit them out.

I'm sure am glad that near 'bout everybody here is just great.

I guess that's why we're growing while some other forums are losing members.
    Some responsible defensive shooters...anyway...are finding other more suitable places to hang out. Hopefully here.

The anonymous nature of the Internet Brings Out The Beasty Bold in many folks & I'm wondering just how much of that Web Bravado carries over into Real Life?

A certain small percentage of shooters just register on the various Firearm Forums to toss on Shock & Awe threads and posts.

I always thought that some of them could actually be anti~gunner troll type types...just trying to disrupt forums & attempting to paint shooters and gun owners (in general) in a bad light.
    Interesting thread.

RR ---- I think I am "+middle age", ha. Yes, this forum is the BEST of the 3 I check out. I recently purchased an XD40, my first pistol, and went to the XD Forum for info, etc., but within the past month, most post have gone Political or non-topic. I just by-pass that junk and look for the topical info that I need or would like to learn about. Too bad that afew have taken over a good Forum for their spouting off of political ideals; R vs D stuff. If it dealt with 2A or CCW etc topics, that would be okay, but not the garbage they are spewing out and with "vile" language to boot. I'm no Angel, but I know when and where to vent. I guess being on the internet, that no one is gonna come over and punch their lights out, so to speak.

My .02 cents worth..

John

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Hats off to Bumper, the mods,(anyone else I forgot)
    Ya forgot me man, but I'll let it slide this time

I believe this forums has the most mature members out of all the gun related forums.

To tell the truth, I really wasn't thinking about post that might "bite you on the backside" in a court of law, but the public perception of the CCW crowd, in general.

Maybe it isn't all that important, as the public-at-large probably doesn't go near these special interest forums.

But, wuz I a card-carrying member of the Brady Bunch, I know it would be very easy to "turn their own guns on them, by dragging such forums into the public spotlight.

Not much different than turning a Claymore around, so it points back at the guy holding the clacker. (Ouch!)

I just don't understand why people will give so willingly, to the aid of those who'd disarm us all!??!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    Just how important is the on-line attitude displayed on this type of Forum?

I've been reading and taking part in some discussions on another forum and I've read far too many "Just cap his butt" post. And I'm not talking about brand-new members who may be caught up in some form of juvinile excitement, but Senior members, who often make the most outrageous post.

Even the worst of these post seldom elicit a moderator's response. When another forum member points out that such post would be very bad for the public perception of the CCW community, they are often met with derision, or the poster will say that the offensive post was meant as "humor."

This is not a problem on this Forum, I'm happy to say.

Am I just "over the top" on this? Taking things too seriously?
    Thankfully this forum decided to talke the "high road" from the very start. And there is often some discussion on different things that show up here. The Mods try to be fair and carefully walk that seemingly thin line between freedom and censorship.

Hopefully we're doing a good job, at least so far 99% of the feedback has been favorable!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I don't get too worked up about "trolls, keyboard commandos, or mall-ninjas". Just a cost of belonging to an Internet forum. I do think the mall-ninja posts are to inject humor into life. I laugh at them. I think its funny because I see various types of of the tactiCOOL accessories and gizmos on people and their weapons. Like stuff that screams GUN: fanny pack, photo/ safari vest, head to toe camo out of hunting season, strong side arm pinned to side ready to draw at a moment's notice, constant rubber-necking to see who's behind you, whenever someone approaches them within 20' they snap to the defensive "tactical" stance and glare at you like you just spat in their face, talk in the gunshop about their "load out" gear. This is the mall ninja. I usually just laugh and roll my eyes.

I think the word "tactical" is just a marketing gimmick. So many people think "military/police" when they hear that word and buy that product just because it may hold some magic power that will replace proper training.

In my opinion, it is mainly people that want think fear is respect and if they come off as this ultimate lethal weapon, trained in various disicplines of the martial arts, exotic weaponry, and H2H combat etc, they will get the attention they need, people will fear them, and they will get the respect.

There are Internet trolls who are basically the younger crowd that want to impress their elders and talk about firearms. I think the problem is they don't know how to articulate their thoughts in a rational, adult manner.

Some forums have more than others of all the types mentioned above. I get through by making the choice of not posting in those threads. If the urban legend holds true, the lawyers will see that my posts were professional, informative, and mature. I also make use of the forum's "Ignore List" or similar. Works great and I encourage its use when needed.

The Internet forum world has many forms. There are so many topics and forum types available that it is just overwhelming. I am a member of about a dozen or so forums. They range from gun enthusiast forums, to broader range of gun-related topics (GT), to archery, hunting, fishing, aquariums, bowling, motorcycling, golfing, and many more of my hobbies. There are trolls and stuff on everyone of them. Some more than others. Just the 1%ers that can spoil it for the rest. That is life and life isn't perfect, just like the Internet.

That is my opinion.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Assistant Administrator
    We have a thread on this right now in staff forum on THR - and sadly it is a fact of gun forums - as a trend. You are spot on Mike, sad to say.

I do not condone it and feel that the worst examples need weeded out - that usually gets mod's labelled as ''nazi's'' or similar!!!

I did a thread months ago on exactly this - the macho ''cap-his-a$$'' brigade, and sure as heck they do us all a great disservice. I had assumed it was mostly young guys but it seems not and that makes it worse.

You can see why some people from other countries have the sustained notion that USA is all gun happy and shootouts, if they read some of the crap.

At least here we can perhaps show the observers that we are in fact normal people - just folks with a desire to excercise a right to defend self and family - as a last resort.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The membership here has personal responsibilities and jobs. That just about cinches it for me. There are no 14 year old kids posting threads like "What if six bad guys in type IV body armor attack me and all I have are my nunchuks?"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links