People Getting Too Close... - Page 2

People Getting Too Close...

This is a discussion on People Getting Too Close... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good job! Like what you did with the door creating both a barrier between you(for protection purposes)and an obstacle that would have forced him to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: People Getting Too Close...

Good job! Like what you did with the door creating both a barrier between you(for protection purposes)and an obstacle that would have forced him to alter his initial plan(who knows THAT might have ACTUALLY happened)of approach. Well done. Remember..you will NEVER KNOW what his real intentions were(good or bad),but the fact that you were "on your toes" showed you were NOT under "V" for victim in the White Pages!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

so what do you do to an unarmed person that gets too close? shoot them?
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    A half mile? He bothered to ask for a ride (from a stranger) to somewhere a half mile away?? You can see that far on flat terrain. How lazy are some people these days! Sheesh...
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by top_gizmo View Post

You being a Marine should know that you can kill a person without a gun or for that matter a weapon. Look up the FBI murder statistics on killing by hands and feet. You'll see what I mean.

This post is about situational awareness and doing your best to protect yourself, not killing an unarmed men.

VIP Member
    I really hate the fact that we need to be so cautious theses days... but you did what you felt was necessary. You may never know what trouble you avoided!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

What threw up a red flag to me was him asking directions to a gas station when he is already at 1. IMO you acted accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticman View Post
    You being a Marine should know that you can kill a person without a gun or for that matter a weapon. Look up the FBI murder statistics on killing by hands and feet. You'll see what I mean.

This post is about situational awareness and doing your best to protect yourself, not killing an unarmed men.
    I dont think that would ever stand up in court. If the stranger in this case pushed past his door with empty hands just to talk to him, there is nothing he could do until he laid hands on him. Even then in someone with empty hand grabs you, you still cant shoot them nor draw your weapon.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by top_gizmo View Post

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Good job with the door and putting it between you and him. That gave you the tactical advantage at that point just in case he wanted more then just directions.

As far as actually having to put hands on you in order to defend yourself, depends on your state. Just the actual intent in some states is cause enough depending on size, location, time of day and other circumstances that might put you at a disadvantage.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Sounds to me like you did a good job.

Well done!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

When I went through the NYS basic training academy, we were drilled to make use of objects in the room or where ever you are to create barriers between yourself and anyone you don't trust. So you did very well by opening the door to put something between you and the stranger. Good SA
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My mother picked up a hitchhiker back in the early 80's and once the guy got i nthe car he said "Don't you ever worry that some nutjob could kill or rape you" about that time my mother revealed the firearm sitting on her lap under her sweater and replied "do you". the man quickly asked to get out.

I don't pick up any hitch hikers with exception to a pregnant woman I picked up a few years ago who was forced to walk after a break down. I think its wise to view everyone as a potential criminal and I think its one step close to prevent becoming a victim.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

He may of just wanted a ride up the street. But in today’s world you cannot take a chance. I think you did everything right. Especially not drawing your sidearm.

I would like to clarify that I think you did the right thing, I would like to think I would have done the same. I just wonder what the next step would be if he came closer. I don't know what I would have done, but I would like to believe that I wouldn't draw on an unarmed person - I believe I can defend myself with out a weapon against an unarmed person. For others that may be smaller or without fighting skill/experience may need/be justified in drawing
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

EdC
    Good job. No criticism, just comments. I'd add a tip I got from a handgun self defense course I took, and that's to stand rearward of the hose when fueling up, so you don't get boxed in between your vehicle, the pumps and the hose. Depends on location of the filler, of course. My filler is on the driver's side, rear, so that's what I always do. Also, another case for having OC as an option as well as a firearm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links