People Getting Too Close...

This is a discussion on People Getting Too Close... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading TNMike’s post about people getting to close, I had a little situation at the gas pumps yesterday. I had just started pumping gas ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People Getting Too Close...

People Getting Too Close...

After reading TNMike’s post about people getting to close, I had a little situation at the gas pumps yesterday. I had just started pumping gas when a guy came from the pumps on the passenger side of my truck. He was walking and looking toward the door of the store. It looked like he was going into the store.

Just as he got to the front of my truck he turned toward me. I was right beside the back door of my truck (Four door Super Crew F150) so I reach up and pulled the drivers door open so it would be between us. There was a trash can right beside my door so I knew he couldn’t get around the door quickly. (Like was posted in a few other threads some times you can’t stop people from getting to close)

I was wearing a shirt un-tucked so as I bladed myself weak side forward I had my right hand on my G23. (He never noticed this) I braced my right knee against the door frame and was ready to hold the door if he tried to shove it closed on me. I had my left hand up and told him that was close enough. He said he didn’t want money just directions to the gas station up the road about a half mile. I told him straight up the road and pointed. He took another step closer to the door and asks if I would give him a ride. I said no and told him in no uncertain terms he needed to leave. I didn’t much like the step forward after I already told him to stop.

It got the attention of several others close by. There are about dozen pumps on both sides of this gas station. The guy pumping gas right beside me start’s walking up from the pump on the opposite side. He didn’t like the attention and moved on. I did see him later walking toward the gas station he asks about.

At no time did I really feel he was a danger to me but I was more than prepared to do what ever I had to do to protect myself. Before anyone asks I did look all around to see if anyone else seemed out of place like this guy. I kept his hands in sight the whole time. I think he even noticed that. The main thing I did though was to watch his eyes. My Dad was an MP in the Army and he always said the eyes will let you know if a person is about to make a move on you. His eyes never seemed threatening but I was still ready.

I guess the only thing I can think of is I didn’t have time to retreat so I put the door between us. I know the door wouldn’t stop a bullet but if he had anything else I feel I could have dealt with it. Any comments are welcome.

2. Remove Ads

I have no issue with what you did. Using the door was wise.
    He may have wanted a ride up the street but you did the right thing by saying no IMO.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I think you did a good job. You were watchful, you listened to your spidey sense, you protected yourself, you gave your commands clearly, and you went home at the end of the day.

Good job.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

You did what you saw fit. Probably not going to get much criticism on your actions on this forum.

This is just another example to show that you can not keep people away from you unless your not going to go out into a public place. Just stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. That is all one can do.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I actually had almost the same experience a while back. I will not go into detail here cause I don't want to high jack your thread. I think you did the right thing. Stay alert and stay alive.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

There was a time abt 25 yrs ago that asking for a ride was acceptable and given. Can't do that nowdays. I would have done what you did, denied the request while being alert and cautious.
    "Brains before Bullets"

fm2
    You did well.

I had a similar situation also.

I am unsure what I would have done about the car door. I like to keep my movement options open, and I'd be a little nervous about the door. Maybe getting knocked down/back if the door gets crashed, fouling my draw, getting pinched between the door & cab, someone coming up on my 6, are some of the thoughts I had.

Whether this is relevent all depends on the space & time available.

"This is just another example to show that you can not keep people away from you unless your not going to go out into a public place"

farronwolf, I'd have to say you can keep some people at distance, and have graduated escalating force options if they keep closing the distance.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you made the right choices given the distance and circumstances.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Reminds me of the last time I picked up a hitch hiker. That was about 15 years ago. He looked harmless enough standing along the interstate. It was not until he is putting his backpack behind the front seat that I saw the 12 inch hunting knife hanging from his belt.

It turned out OK, he was harmless, but when I dropped him off, he struggled to get his backpack out from the seat, the vertical polls on his pack ripped out the head liner of my Blazer. He said he was sorry and was on his way.

That was the last time I picked up a hitch hiker. You want to help people but it is a different world out there today and in most cases, is not worth the risk.
    Last edited by Windward; January 26th, 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fm2 View Post
    You did well.

I had a similar situation also.

I am unsure what I would have done about the car door. I like to keep my movement options open, and I'd be a little nervous about the door. Maybe getting knocked down/back if the door gets crashed, fouling my draw, getting pinched between the door & cab, someone coming up on my 6, are some of the thoughts I had.

Whether this is relevent all depends on the space & time available.

"This is just another example to show that you can not keep people away from you unless your not going to go out into a public place"

farronwolf, I'd have to say you can keep some people at distance, and have graduated escalating force options if they keep closing the distance.

I understand where your coming from. I had my right knee braced on the door frame and had my left hand out to catch the door should he attempt to do what you said. I'm 6' 3" 225 pounds so knocking me down while I'm braced and ready for it would have been difficult.

Backing away would have been problematic since the nozzle and hose where hanging right behind me. And thank you for the reply...

mkh
    You did well and I think I would have done the same thing in your situation.

However, when I listen to accounts like this I wonder how many were just innocent people needing help. Unfortunately with the way things are today you just can't take chances and allowing someone to get too close is often dangerous.

I think you did good. Interesting to hear about the guy one pump over coming to your aid. It's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    However, when I listen to accounts like this I wonder how many were just innocent people needing help. Unfortunately with the way things are today you just can't take chances and allowing someone to get too close is often dangerous.
    Yup. I agree.
    Times of being an open living, good samaritan are over.
    Sad, but what can you do. I have helped people in distress many times, but it's just getting too difficult to tell the good guys from the bad. Even a seemingly helpless individual could be a setup.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

You did the right thing. Gas stations have become a place of frequent trouble here in Florida. We all would like to help our fellow man, but lets face it you must C.Y.A. first. Maybe this guy just wanted directions but he can stay back a ways while he gets them.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well done. You were clear and answered the perceived and potential threat without escalating the conflict. You went home safe and he left without a hole in him. Sounds like a best-case scenario to me! :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

OP was already ahead of the game by staying alert and having a plan.
    Quick sidebar: 10pm in Downtown Atlanta sidewalk, two weeks ago. I’m on a business trip with my 2A-friendly CEO & his wife. He was busy networking with our client as we get approached on the sidewalk after dinner by a few transients wanting money. All I had on me was CRKT combat folder, and a loud command to stay back and leave us alone. The homeless guys looked like I had slapped them, and after that Mrs. CEO would not stray more than a foot away from me until we were “safe” back in the hotel. Who was it that said “always be ready to fight…”?
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links