1992 Article: Killeen, Texas

This is a discussion on 1992 Article: Killeen, Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many of you might have already known about this - I just found it. Another reason to NOT leave your gun in the car. I ...

Thread: 1992 Article: Killeen, Texas

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

1992 Article: Killeen, Texas

Many of you might have already known about this - I just found it.
    Another reason to NOT leave your gun in the car.
    I feel instead of not being able to carry where they serve alcohol - that instead it should be like driving - you can carry anywhere as long as YOUR not drinking.
    =====================================
    Was it a surprise when Dr. Suzanne Gratia, a chiropractor from Copperas Cove, Texas, just outside Killeen, and a survivor of the October 16, 1991 Luby's Cafe massacre, came to testify before the Texas state legislature in mid-February on the subject of gun control?
    Yes. It was a surprise because she was there to defend the right of all citizens to carry a weapon.
    Gratia and her parents were lunching in Luby's Cafe when George Hennard crashed his truck through the front window of the restaurant, then began shooting helpless patrons execution-style with his Glock 19 pistol. At first, Gratia thought the automobile was out of control when it came through the window and moved to help the injured.
    Then Hennard began shooting and she realized that this was no accident. Gratia and her 71-year-old father flipped their table over to provide a little cover while they considered their next move. Gratia reached for her purse where she normally (and illegally) carries a .38 S&W Chief's Special, but quickly realized that she had left the gun in her car.
    As a WWII veteran, her father did not like being helpless and decided to charge the gunman barehanded, but Hennard heard him coming and shot him in the chest, mortally wounding him.
    Just at that moment, someone broke a window at the back of the building and people began streaming out to safety. Gratia took her mother's arm and pulled her toward the window, but her mother struggled away and ran to Gratia's father.
    The other patrons pulled Gratia through the window and she saw no more, but according to witnesses, Gratia's mother knelt beside her dying husband and placed her cheek against his chest as Hennard put the gun to her head and fired.
    With this story to tell, spectators at Gratia's presentation might have expected an empassioned plea for tighter gun control - to keep such horrible weapons out of the hands of madmen.
    They would have been disappointed.
    "I blame (the death of my parents on) those legislators who deny me the right to defend myself," Gratia said in a November 20 television interview. Gratia and other Killeen survivors met with Texas legislators for the purpose of drafting a CCW bill to be introduced when the senate convenes in 1993. On March 4, the Missouri legislature requested an appearance by Gratia for the same purpose.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

"And the Truth will set you Free!"

Wouldn't it be nice if it actually worked out that way, a little more often?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

She's quite famous in Texas at least. I wouldn't recognize her if I saw her or anything, but the incident is well known and has become something of a modern "Remember Goliad!"

Killeen is about an hour from here and it too is a nice little almost sleepy town. If it can happen there... well guess what that means for me.

She was on the "Penn & Teller [Male Bovine Excrement]" show on Gun Control. They interviewed her about the Luby's Massacre. She made a direct point about breaking what she felt was a "bad law" against carrying guns concealed.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Lead Moderator
    I remember seeing this story years ago and wished then it had been reported more widely.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Nitrogen,

Almost afraid to ask, but what sort of conclusion did P&T come to? I know their show (usually pretty good,) has old episodes available on the "on-demand" channel, but I don't recall seeing this one.

mm

Assistant Administrator
    A lady who sees things with the eyes of reality and rationality.

It is hard to argue with the logic as she would describe it - and yet still, so many think quite the reverse will protect us all!

As Rick mentions - it was under-reported but then hey - pretty much par for the course with good things about CCW and guns.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    If I remember correctly, Dr. Gratia-Hupp is now (or at least recently has been) a member of the NRA's Board of Directors.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    madmike,

they actually had a very pro-gun stance, however they did interview a few people from the other side.

some of their thoughts and ideas are way out there. send me a PM for more info dude.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Jim,

PM sent! Meanwhile, I'm going to look at the P&T list of episodes available on the "on demand" channel, to see if that one is available.

Those guys are just a little nutz, but they do have a way of cutting thru the bull!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    Nitrogen,

Almost afraid to ask, but what sort of conclusion did P&T come to? I know their show (usually pretty good,) has old episodes available on the "on-demand" channel, but I don't recall seeing this one.

mm
    The first 30 seconds, they said, "Gun Control is [Male Bovine Excrement]"

PM me if you can't get it, I might be able to get you a copy of the episode in DivX format off of my Tivo.
    יזכר לא עד פעם
    Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am.
    Remember. Never Again.

Thanks for the efforts and offers, but I caught that episode, #35, on Showtime's on-demand service.

Not bad at all.

mm

Lead Moderator
    I caught it last night and it seemed they did a good job. I was kind of surprised to see the gun shop was in Baltimore.......
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

And another one was the McDonalds in Southern California.
    all those poor people...

Links