Drug effects on criminals - Page 3

Drug effects on criminals

This is a discussion on Drug effects on criminals within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years ago I was in a "lab" identification class that was tought by CHP personal. The outstanding class was lead by a narc ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drug effects on criminals

A few years ago I was in a "lab" identification class that was tought by CHP personal. The outstanding class was lead by a narc Lt. that had been in the show since the start of the meth epidemic on the west coast. She personaly was disabled (respitory damage) from busting cooking operations with out using the respitory equipment commonplace today. I guess getting blown up should be a huge consideration, but I always personaly worried about breathing the toxic fumes and searing my lung tissue the most. The interesting part to this is that we haven't had gunplay with the labs yet, it has just been the users? As mentioned before a functional "lab" can be transported in a vehicle which makes it very possible for anyone to stumble upon an active operation forcing them to take drastic measures in the interest of personal safety.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The explosive component used in making meth is ether. The same stuff that was used as an early anathesia until safer methods (for both patients and doctors) were found. It is also the same stuff we used to spray into automobile carburators in the winter to start them. It's flashpoint is well below the freezing point of water. If someone has a portable meth lab in a car trunk, they might as well put a stick of dynamite with a blasting cap attached in there as well!

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh - good ol' starter spray - works great in my spud cannon!

Would not want a vehicle (or building) full of that vapor!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    I recall Mas Ayoob discussing this a number of times at LFI when I went in 1996, on American Handgunner and other gun magazines; BG was on PCP and engaged by the Illinois State Police then armed with S&W Model 39's. The 9mm load used was a 100 grain soft point.
    Might have been this guy:
    Attached Images
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Assistant Administrator
    Wow! - just wow!

That seems definitive proof that if a guy is doped then he feels little or no pain and - maybe most important - has zero ''I have been shot'' psycho effect.

And so runs on until something literally quits working!!!
    Chris - P95

Yup. Wow is right. I think my reaction was Holy Poop!! I am not going to bother even giving a count of area shots (x number in head, x number in chest) but some quick observations:

One round is directly center of chest. Nice shootin'. Prolly 1st shot.
    5-7 rounds are grouped in the neck area.
    All but 6 rounds are in the ribs and up, including the shoulders, neck, and head.
    Looks like maybe two (possibly three) of the rounds would have caught the heart.
    All shots, except the 6 or so to the upper arms should have been enough to incapacitate.

I could be a 10mm/.45 ACP snob here, but this is obviously not the norm; and even though I love my 10mm and 45, I don't know if they would have made a difference, even at 33 rounds in the same spots. Hope I never have to find out.

Lessons learned:

Keep shots on target.
    Aim for the ribcage and up.
    Bring an extra pair of undies in case he doesn't drop after lots of rounds.
    Develop a failure drill for the failure drill in case failure drill #1 fails.
    Shot placement isn't really the deciding factor.
    Keep shooting if the threat is on its feet. Reload and continue if threat is still on feet.
    Druggies are hard to stop. Shoot well and often.

Keep your fingers crossed.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Assistant Administrator
    Shot placement isn't really the deciding factor.
    Freak - small - and maybe slightly pedantic edit - "Shot placement isn't necessarily the deciding factor."

Only say that because even on these dopers - a true CNS take-out shot would do the trick - but hard to achieve.
    Chris - P95

Wow...good reasons to carry extra ammo and backup

How many of us leave the house to get the loaf of bread thinking that the little pocket gun will get the job done?

This thread has done alot to reinforce my thinking that extra ammo and/or a BUG is always good (and may really be needed).

Thanks to all (especially the LEOs) who shared thier stories...what a sobering thread.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    The human body can do some amazing things with or without drug influence. Years ago I was managing a plant in East Point, Ga. One of my former employees showed up one day asking about getting back to work. After talking for a few minutes it became obvious he was mentally disturbed. Found out later, he had just been released from a mental facility. Well, he became agressive, pushing and punching. I convinced him to wait outside, telling him we were collecting some money for him. He went outside and sat on a curb and we got the local cops on the scene. The former employee was a short, stocky guy and the cops were larger and also pretty stout. Well, one of the cops took him by the arm and pulled him up from the curb and this guy exploded. He knocked the cop across the hood of the car. The strugle that ensued lasted maybe five minutes. Both cops finally got him down on the ground and got him cuffed. The employee had been wacked on the head numerous times with a blackjack and had welts all over his head. He never slowed down. And he wasn't high as far as I could tell. The whole incident impressed the hell out of me. I never would have thought one man could do so much damage and keep going like he did. It taught me a lesson. Don't ever underestimate what someone can do when they get in a rage like this guy did.

P95carry, thought about that after I typed it. Good catch.

Most cops I know are more careful around the little guys than the bigger guys. The bigger guys aren't used to getting hit much, so they go down quicker. The little guys are used to getting pushed around and hit, they just take it and open a 6pack of whoop ass. Shocks the heck out them time and time again.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    The little guys are used to getting pushed around and hit, they just take it and open a 6pack of whoop ass.
    That is a fact...I can testify to that...

We call it the "Hitler Syndrome".

The little suckers are so used to taking on the whole world that they think nothing of fighting and size or sheer force means nothing to them. I think it goes back to their little childhood days when they say "look Mom, see what I can do" and then they spend the rest of thier lives trying to prove their superiority.

Plus...the little guys seem to be harder to grab onto...

Assistant Administrator
    HG - to add to the ''lil' fella'' aspect.

In UK many years ago - I lived not too far from Epsom and worked there too. To those that know, Epsom has a famous horse race course, where the Derby is run every year in June.

Thing is - that meant quite a few jockies were local too. So what do we have - guys of 4'11'' maybe 5'00'', well under 100# perhaps. I knew a couple of the local cops and they found these diminutive guys absolute hell when having to apprehend them in a drunken state - which was not that rare an occurrence!!

They seemed to have a disproportionate amount of strength and stamina!
    Chris - P95

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links