child honesty - Page 2

child honesty

This is a discussion on child honesty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying for the last 9 years....both of my boys (12 and 6) know I carry, but also know we don't talk about it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: child honesty

I've been carrying for the last 9 years....both of my boys (12 and 6) know I carry, but also know we don't talk about it with anyone else.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Since when is it not the job of a parent? Mother or Father? If I am home alone with my child should it not be my responsibility to provide for her safety and mine?
    ooops, I agree.... I stand corrected...

I was thinking back of how my father raised me, and then trying to related it to the person who asked the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It's like the "sex" talk... wait for them to ask!
    That's exactly our thought. With our 9-year old daughter, I get the cc talk and my wife gets the sex talk. I hope to heck I get to do mine before my wife has to do hers......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

When I took the day off to go meet the judge to have my restrictions removed from my pistol permit my 13 yo daughter asked why I was home from work. I said I had to go to see the judge so I could carry my pistol with me whenever I wanted. She said, "You mean you can carry it all the time? I said yes and she said "Cool" and that was it. I did tell her it was a family secret and not to spread it around. She gave me that "duh" look that kids give and told me "why would I tell anyone?" Gotta love her!

Curiosity is nothing to fool around with when you are dealing with firearms and kids. They need to know up front about firearms and firearm safety. If you're uncomfortable with training them, take them to a professional. My 11 year old knows I carry, and he understands that information is very private and if others know it could endanger us. This summer he starts in a junior shooting program at my shooting club. They train the kids on weapons safety and how to shoot, and start them out with air rifles. Once they are proficient at that level they can move up to small bore rifle & pistol. We have a dedicated indoor range just for the kids.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

My 11 year old and 9 year old know, I have been teaching them "the rules" already, even down to my 4 year old. One day my 9 yo bumped the butt of my pistol and asked what it was she hit. I told her we wold talk about it later, and then later the same day my Wife and I sat them down to give them "the talk" about why Daddy carries and why Mommy is going to be soon, and why they are to NEVER mention it to anyone ever.

They seem to get it. Every once in a while my 11 yo will pull me aside and ask in a low voice, which is rare by itself, why I am carrying at X (like Church) and that just gives me more time to explain the World in all its wonders can be a very dangerous place if you are not paying attention and are not prepared.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Hello,

I'm from Maine as well, was wondering how long it took for you to receive your CCW permit? Sent in mine on Dec. 10, check cashed Dec 30th. Two weeks ago they told me that they were waiting on 2 background checks and I should get it in 2 weeks. Yesterday I called, and they told me waiting on one background check, and it should be another week.

Glad you brought up the question too, as the idea of telling children hadn't crossed my mind yet, as mine son is only 18 months. He will certainly be exposed to firearms while growing up, but it would be extremely important for him not to tell other's I'm carrying.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Spike32 View Post
    Curiosity is nothing to fool around with when you are dealing with firearms and kids. They need to know up front about firearms and firearm safety. If you're uncomfortable with training them, take them to a professional. My 11 year old knows I carry, and he understands that information is very private and if others know it could endanger us. This summer he starts in a junior shooting program at my shooting club. They train the kids on weapons safety and how to shoot, and start them out with air rifles. Once they are proficient at that level they can move up to small bore rifle & pistol. We have a dedicated indoor range just for the kids.
    "Knowing about firearms" and "firearms safety" don't necessarily go hand-in-hand with informing a child that you carry.....which was the question posed in the OP.

My 9 year-old daughter has been exposed to firearms since she was old enough to understand what they are. She shoots (pretty darn well ), knows how to handle them safely, and more importantly, knows when not to handle them at all. For all that, she doesn't know that both mommy and I carry. We're not keeping it from her.....we just haven't found a need to tell her yet.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Her favorite activity is going to the little shooting gallery at Cabellas...

Big kid here. I love those things too. Always have. Always will.

to the OP: Concealed means concealed, there is no need for anyone to see your pistol (including your family). However, honesty and trust is always the best way to go. If your children are mature enough to keep a secret and not tell their friends, then I see no issue in telling them.

Welcome from another Mainer here. my girls are 4 and 8 and they both know i carry i usually carry partially exposed in the home just a tucked shirt under the gun no cover garmet. they understand and are very good about not sharing that daddy has a gun

We just do it. If the children ask, we sigh and ask them why they're forgetful...they have been told a million times that we carry, they have seen us carrying since they were old enough to hold their heads up, it is as normal as a belt or shoes or anyother piece of clothing, and --like underwear--, it is not something we talk about in public.

I have never hidden my guns from my kids. They both know that my wife and I carry. I taught them safety from the day they were born. When they turned 5, I would sit on the floor with ALL of my guns and snap caps. I would have them load and unload each gun so they knew how every action worked. I did this once a week. They quit noticing the guns around the house after awhile. My oldest son is now 18. He can't wait until he is 21, not to drink but to be able to get his CFP. Gun safety is the parents job!

paul maine seems to take their sweet damn time mine was given to lisbon pd on the 7th of december it came back like the 5th or 6th of january unfortunatly we sent it in during a holiday season and our app probably sat on some secratarys desk who was in no rush good luck. oh ps dont call the pd everyday lookin for it they really seem to dislike that!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy View Post
    paul maine seems to take their sweet damn time mine was given to lisbon pd on the 7th of december it came back like the 5th or 6th of january unfortunatly we sent it in during a holiday season and our app probably sat on some secratarys desk who was in no rush good luck. oh ps dont call the pd everyday lookin for it they really seem to dislike that!!!!
    I had to send mine into the State Police. I've only called twice, once yesterday, and once 2 weeks ago. I find it funny that each time I called a gentleman answered and said their system was down, and that the lady that handled it would call me back. The second time I called, she called me back within an hour. They might want to have their system looked at.

Paul

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Only you know your sons. My own thought is that I would not as they will surely tell someone including playmates, and maybe teachers, etc.

Regards,
    Jerry
    I think this is the case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links