child honesty - Page 3

child honesty

This is a discussion on child honesty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 12 y/o friend. We are very close, and he knows I carry. I made it a point to tell him he can ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: child honesty

I have a 12 y/o friend. We are very close, and he knows I carry. I made it a point to tell him he can never mention it outside of the house and then only with me and his parents.

A while back I took him to the park and then to buy him a soda at the quickshop. At some point my gun became visible, and he knew it. As trained he never said a word. I trained him to well I think.

Michael

mkh
    My biggest fear would be that a situation gets a little dicey and the kid blurts out "Show them your gun daddy!".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Only you know your sons.
    I have eight grandkids and great-grandkids in the three to thirteen yoa range. Each know what I think they can handle and their parents are OK with.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    My own thought is that I would not as they will surely tell someone including playmates, and maybe teachers, etc.
    Given the number of LTE I write, so what. As always, YMMV.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Great thread, keep it going.
    My daughter is 18 months, no, I havent' told her yet That said, I teach 9-10 year-olds all day long for the past 10 years. They are curious and smart enough to understand if you educate them properly. They can also smell and adults' BS a mile away so I would never lie to my kids. Since they are also curious and will discover your firearms anyway, I'd suggest the "talk" with them and teach them as much as you can about guns. I've seen one too many younger kids get shot by an older kid checking out dad's rifle in the closet to believe that we should hide our guns and not educate our children.
    My father never owned a gun, I'm teaching him now (he's 62) but he educated me about sex when I was old enough. I never got a girl pregnant nor picked up any diseases.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links