child honesty

This is a discussion on child honesty within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so i just got my carry permit here in the great state of maine and have a major question. when if at all and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: child honesty

child honesty

Ok so i just got my carry permit here in the great state of maine and have a major question. when if at all and how to tell my sons that i carry every day? They are 8 and 6 we have discussed gun safety here at home and my 8 year old is one of the better shots with a .22 in his scout den. they understand guns and the damage being unsafe causes but should they, could they understand my choice to protect my family?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magdaddy View Post
    Ok so i just got my carry permit here in the great state of maine and have a major question. when if at all and how to tell my sons that i carry every day? They are 8 and 6 we have discussed gun safety here at home and my 8 year old is one of the better shots with a .22 in his scout den. they understand guns and the damage being unsafe causes but should they, could they understand my choice to protect my family?
    Only you know your sons. My own thought is that I would not as they will surely tell someone including playmates, and maybe teachers, etc.

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Some Kids respond differently , Honesty always helps by taking some of the curiosity out of it.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

ya true i mean they know i have it we have gone to the pit to shoot as a family and i shot with them there just dont know how to explain daddys got a gun in his pants. god willing ill never need it or only need it when they arnt around!

My daughters are huggers, 9 and 11 so they generally bump into it. I do know that there have been occasions where my older daughter gave me a hug just to comfort herself that I was carrying. They do not discuss it outside the family but that is just my girls.
    Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.

How can you praise freedom, and condemn that which gains and preserves it?

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    Some Kids respond differently , Honesty always helps by taking some of the curiosity out of it.
    IMO that last part is a big one. Generations of kids have been raised around guns as part of daily life. They were taught what they are, how to use them, and when to use them. Its the forbidden fruit that draws a lot of attention and accidents. I would rather teach a kid how to do something dangerous that they are going to learn/do sooner or later so that the learning enviroment is controlled. As my mom has told me often, she and her sisters were all raised knowing there was a loaded gun under daddy's pillow, and if anyone was breaking in the house they were under orders to get it and use it. Otherwise, they never touched it.

If I get a CPL I wouldn't tell my kids. Unless it some how came up. I have 2 that are young my son is 1 and my daughter is 3. If my daughter knows it everyone else does. The house alarm went off so my daughter woke up to the alarm. She came out of her room and saw me standing in the hall with my pistol trained on the stairs till the cops showed up. Now everyone knows about that night.

VIP Member
    It's like the "sex" talk... wait for them to ask!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Each kid is different. I know my 6 year old son asked me about it when I started to carry I told him that it was to protect him from BG. For him that was good enough. My 5 year old daughter has never said a word and she knows I just think she is so use to it she does not relize it is there. My 13 year old step son I sat down with him and talked to him about it. I told him that he is not to tell anyone not even his daddy. Me carrying is not for anyone to know about. I have gone through classes and checks that the law says I can carry but we don't tell anyone. He has listen so far. I have had a harder time with my wife then the kids. IMO I would sit down and talk with them that way if they see it when you are out they don't yell "daddy why are you carrying a gun" and everyone know at that point.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

My daughter is 6 years old, and she fully aware that I carry, and to her its no big deal. She knows that sometimes bad things can happen and that "Daddy wants to protect us". She knows complete gun safety, can recite the rules, and knows not to touch the guns. I have worked very hard on her with gun safety, and knowledge. She even has her own, (A little Pink BB gun) that she has not shot yet because her attention span has been too short. But she knows its hers, and is waiting impatiently to give it try.

Her favorite activity is going to the little shooting gallery at Cabellas and she will shoot the pants off of some of the boy's and even adults. She can consistently get 15-16 shots out of 20 without a single bit of help.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    My 12 y/o knows we have guns in the house, and have applied for our CPL's and knows all the safety rules about guns, both at home and at friends houses.
    I have been letting her handle my MK III under my suprvision when I know it's not loaded. She knows well enough to point it in a safe direction, check for the safety, magazine and bullet in a chamber.If warmer weather ever returns we will take her to an outdoor range and let her learn how to shoot it. We go through the drill about once a week and after I have been to the range we clean it together.
    She knows when I'm home alone or home with just her it's on my strong side and it doesn't bother her.
    She is also aware that she is not to discuss the guns in the house with anyone. What goes on in our house and what things we own are not public business. I explained to her that criminals don't purchase guns legally and I don't want strangers knowing what we have in our home.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Introduce your kids to firearms, as early in their lives as you can.
    Teach them that other than safety first, firearms are nothing out of the ordinary.

My dad use to:
    Teach me that using a firearm is fun, and learning how to be proficient with one is challenging. He would take the time to show me how to shoot a rifle and pistol, and encourage me to shoot often.

If they should ask why you carry a pistol?

Tell them that being able to provide safety and security for the family is part of being a man, and father.

Welcome!

Oh yeah, they can understand your choice to protect your family. My kids are a few years younger, (5 and 3) but my 5 year old understands that.

I would think this is the perfect opportunity to introduce your kids to this "chapter" of gun safety, and carrying. Since the 8 year old already is a shooter, if he finds out you've started carrying and preferred to keep it hidden from the kids, he might take that as a hint (not the right word to explain my thought) and start to be secretive or hide stuff from you, now or in the future...not to be malicious or sneaky, but thinking that hiding stuff/being secretive is OK.

It's all in the training. My 5yo doesn't talk about the gun on mommy's hip, etc. She knows that her dad and I carry for protection, etc. In bathrooms, she does not mention it, giggle, etc. Now, my 3 year old is a different story. He's still a bit young, so I feel more like a broken record with him, but he's getting it.

I think honesty with your kids is the best policy. They are at good ages for training and understanding reasons to carry, and will do just fine.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have 4 kids: 11, 9, 6, 3. They all have known that I carry from the first day I began a couple of years ago. We made it very plain and simple to them that I carry and that they are welcome to handle and shoot any gun in the house if they ask to. They go to the range with us, so they know what guns do (and it goes a long way to keeping their hands off of them when they are little, too!).

What we decided is that I CC for my protection and my family, not for anyone else. So I don't hide the fact that I CC per se; I just don't spread it around.

So that is how we have raised the kids. We know that dad carries and if someone else does too that is okay, but there's no more reason to talk about the firearm on dad's hip than there is to talk about what kind of underwear they are wearing. It's just something that is not public conversation.

When someone asks my older two (it's happened once or twice...I pastor a church so everyone knows me, plus I am a hugger) their stock response is "don't ask me, ask him!" That puts the ball in the kids' court and allows me to explain to parents if I feel the need.

I am glad that you have tried to think through this about your kids and be proactive. That, IMAO, is a very wise decision.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Introduce your kids to firearms, as early in their lives as you can.
    Teach them that other than safety first, firearms are nothing out of the ordinary.

My dad use to:
    Teach me that using a firearm is fun, and learning how to be proficient with one is challenging. He would take the time to show me how to shoot a rifle and pistol, and encourage me to shoot often.

If they should ask why you carry a pistol?

Tell them that being able to provide safety and security for the family is part of being a man, and father.
    Since when is it not the job of a parent? Mother or Father? If I am home alone with my child should it not be my responsibility to provide for her safety and mine?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links