Mi ccw/cpl

This is a discussion on Mi ccw/cpl within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for opinions on applying for a CPL in MI. The reason I ask is because I would hate to dish out the money ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mi ccw/cpl

Mi ccw/cpl

I'm looking for opinions on applying for a CPL in MI. The reason I ask is because I would hate to dish out the money and get denied.

I was wondering if the gun board can deny a license if I had a minor in possession when I was 17. 8 Years ago. Also Dec of 2007 I was arrested for Operating Under the Influence. BAC was .08 law is .07. Arrested but not convicted. Threw a family member at the court house it was reduced to careless driving.
    Neither of those charges are automatic deniels. However the law states that if the gun board has clear and convincing evidence from civil infractions, crimes, etc that I would be a danger to carry I can be denied. To me neither would suggest that I'm a danger with firearms. I'm an avid outdoorsmen. Hunting, fishing, skeet shooting, pistol shooting you name it I do it with a firearm and know when to and how to use a firearm.
    So I'm just looking for opinions if I should go threw the process and pay the money.
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. Remove Ads

Nick,

You should go to the site Michigan Gun Owners they have a GREAT legal section over there with a few lawyers that visit often. That is the best advice I can give you.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Just an update MI is a "Shall Issue" State.

Starshooter, Yes I am a member of MCRGO. I asked my question to the lawyer about 2 weeks ago without a reply. My father in law wants to take class and I told him I would do it with him but his patients level is like none. So he is really itching to get it done.

I think you should be OK. Just do it, the class is worthwhile even if you never plan to carry a firearm. Oh, and do me a favor and quit drinking and driving in my state.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I think you should be OK. Just do it, the class is worthwhile even if you never plan to carry a firearm. Oh, and do me a favor and quit drinking and driving in my state.
    +1 on that.

I think you'll be good to go.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I'm a CDL truck driver and the last thing that I would intentionally do is drive drunk. I wasn't driving a truck at the time. If I would have known that I was over the limit I wouldn't have drove. The LEO pulled me over for a license plate light. Not because I was driving irresponsibly and I passed all the field sobriety tests. Old law use to be BAC of .100. I was hit with .08 which is only .01 over the current law. Which is about 3-4 beers. So anyone that has a couple watching the big game and drives watch out. A couple for average person is over the limit. I'm 5'9 and 185lbs.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Be aware that in Michigan the BAC limit while carrying concealed is .02 Guns and alcohol don't mix. Guns, driving and alcohol definately don't mix.
    Look into the Michigan Gun Owners group, there is a recent thread there from someone with 2 prior drinking and driving offenses, the first occuring before age 21, the second while drag racing.
    My recommendation for him was a cap gun and a pedal car.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow662 View Post
    I'm a CDL truck driver and the last thing that I would intentionally do is drive drunk. I wasn't driving a truck at the time. If I would have known that I was over the limit I wouldn't have drove. The LEO pulled me over for a license plate light. Not because I was driving irresponsibly and I passed all the field sobriety tests. Old law use to be BAC of .100. I was hit with .08 which is only .01 over the current law. Which is about 3-4 beers. So anyone that has a couple watching the big game and drives watch out. A couple for average person is over the limit. I'm 5'9 and 185lbs.
    No, .08 BAC is not "just 3-4 beers", and passing all the FSTs just means that you're a high functioning alcoholic. If you cannot fathom the responsibility that comes with carrying a concealed firearm than feel free to get tanked all you want WITHOUT A GUN!!

Guns and booze DO NOT MIX, all you do is jeopardize my rights and the rights of other members.

Even if you do not get issued a CPL the first time your class is still good. My brother in-law got a DUI a few years back and he took his class last march. He could not get his CPL because of the DUI but, they told him that he had to wait till after ( I think) 5 years from his conviction date.

Quote Originally Posted by chiliverde View Post
    No, .08 BAC is not "just 3-4 beers", and passing all the FSTs just means that you're a high functioning alcoholic. If you cannot fathom the responsibility that comes with carrying a concealed firearm than feel free to get tanked all you want WITHOUT A GUN!!

Guns and booze DO NOT MIX, all you do is jeopardize my rights and the rights of other members.
    You didn't read my question or did not fully understand it. I was not in possession of a firearm at the time. I never said that I drink and use firearms. So your response blaming me that I jeopardize your rights by being in possession of a firearm while drunk is not true. A BAC of .08 is NOT tanked. I never said I drink all the time so saying I get tanked all I want is not true. Honestly I may drink 2 beers a month. If I buy beer it usually goes down the drain. I learned my lesson from the OWI and was lucky to get it reduced. As I said I drive with a CDL so if I loose my license I loose my job. So thats never going to happen again.
    I do know the responsibilitys of carring a conceled weapon.
    3-4 beers in 1 hour is a BAC of .08.
    I was mearly asking for opinions not lectures or for people to blame or judge me because of 1 incident that's never going to happen again.
    I do welcome your comment but to blame me for "jeoporidizing your rights" is rude and inaccurate.

When you threw your relative at the court was he injured? Pulling your leg.
    Nothing tried nothing gained. The worst they can do is say no then you can come back later.
    Sorry you are getting all the lectures on drinking.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    When you threw your relative at the court was he injured? Pulling your leg.
    Nothing tried nothing gained. The worst they can do is say no then you can come back later.
    Sorry you are getting all the lectures on drinking.

Semper Fi
    Officially chainging my grammaticly incorrect word from threw to through. lol

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    No guarantees in life. And you didn't mention which county you are in (so we've no clue which Gun Board you need to get past). But as a general rule, things are based on convictions, not charges. The alcohol related incident should not be grounds for denial IMHO based on the written provisions from the CPL laws I've read (just a lay opinion, IANAL). Your conviction was Careless Driving.

The other offense was far enough back (and is not actually listed in the list of reasons for denial AFAIK) that it should be no trouble.

I personally think you'll be approved. Re read the actual laws regarding cause for denial again and see what you think. If denied, you can always appeal. But again, I think you'll pass.

And pay no attention to the attitudinal gentleman from Vermont. I doubt he's ever made a mistake in judgment. And if he's good enough to diagnose an "alcoholic" from one internet post (especially yours), he's got issues of his own. Besides, Vermont (God bless them!) doesn't even require a License (or a fee) to carry. Never have. Hopefully never will. (I bet that's even true for people convicted of drunk driving). He's got no idea what it's like to have to get "permission" from the State to exercise a Constitutional Right.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Be aware that in Michigan the BAC limit while carrying concealed is .02 Guns and alcohol don't mix. Guns, driving and alcohol definately don't mix.
    Look into the Michigan Gun Owners group, there is a recent thread there from someone with 2 prior drinking and driving offenses, the first occuring before age 21, the second while drag racing.
    My recommendation for him was a cap gun and a pedal car.
    I believe the BAC limit while carrying concealed in Michigan is 0.00. There is a zero tolerance policy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links