Defensive Carry banner

What condition do you carry your "non-1911" DA semi-auto gun?

14K views 76 replies 73 participants last post by  oldnfat 
#1 ·
Before I ask my very basic question I will say that my EDC is a Glock 30, and I carry with 1 in the chamber.

Therefore, I am curious what condition you carry your "non-1911" DA semi-auto pistol? Do you carry in one of the 3 typical conditions of readiness, or do you carry is some variant condition such as chambered round with the hammer in the "half-cocked" position? Also, is your condition determined by the presence of a "decocker" on your carry gun? I look forward to everyones comments.

#61 ·
Ready to rock!

I always carry with a round chambered and the mag full. If the gun has a M1911-style safety, I'll carry with the safety on. If it's a traditional double-action, then I'll decock.

I try to keep the process of getting the gun into action as consistent as I can, no matter what gun I'm carrying. :yup:

#66 ·
Taurus PT111 - 1 in the pipe, full mag, safety engaged. There is not an external hammer.

The ruger p89 when carried was carried with an empty chamber but if carried from now on will be carried one in the pipe and the decocker/safety engaged.

#67 ·
Walther P99c QA
Always chambered and always topped off!
No external safety. Your trigger finger off the trigger, IS YOUR SAFETY!

#68 ·
I carry either an XD .40, Glock 23, or occasionally a Taurus PT-111 or Taurus PT-99. All are carried with a round in the chamber as they are designed to be carried. With any quality modern DA semi auto handgun, they are designed to be carried with a round in the chamber.

To carry with an empty chamber is equal to carrying a hammer or brick because you will not have time to draw and rack the slide to get that round where it should have already been in time to put the gun into action to save your life or the lives of your loved ones.

#69 ·
If I'm going to carry ANYTHING for SD, it's going to be ready to go...only the finger application away from delivery.:yup:

#72 ·
SIG SAUER P220 single action only, cocked and locked, full mag in the weapon
and another in my Comp-Tac mag holder, practice builds confidence, keep your fire arm in top notch working condition, and did I already say practice, and I mean every day, so if the time comes your brain and hands will be linked together.

#74 ·
+1 on Condition 1

My RIA 1911 is cocked and locked 1 in the chamber and a full mag.
Kahr cw9 also 1 in the chamber and full mag, no safety except the one between my ears.

#76 ·
Primary is a 1911 but the others I sometimes carry.
Beretta 96 loaded chamber, decocked safety off and full mag.
Kahr CW40 chamber loaded and full mag.
PPK loaded chamber, decocked safety off and full mag.
Sig P238 chamber loaded cocked and locked and full mag.
Revolvers all chambers loaded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.