Is it Legal to CC while on your own property?

This is a discussion on Is it Legal to CC while on your own property? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own the place of business that I work at. It is our property. Can I legally CC while at work here?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Legal to CC while on your own property?

Is it Legal to CC while on your own property?

I own the place of business that I work at. It is our property.
    Can I legally CC while at work here?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Always state specific and even municipality specific, but in general you can unless your state or local government prohibits it. Your place of biz is treated about the same way as your home. That said, you need to check your own state's laws.

I can't imagine any state where it woul be illegal to CC or OC on your own property. But I'm no lawyer, I'm sure California has some obscure law against it.

VIP Member
    As Hopyard said, this is going to be a state specific question. Your best bet will be search your state statutes, you can start here:

Handgunlaw.us

I would also guess Kansas has some type of RKBA group where you could check also. Remember, a answer you get from any type of group, you need to get a statute reference for.

I believe Ohio used to prohibit CC even on your own property. We just passed some more reform last year and I believe this was part of it. OC has always been legal.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by knuterockne View Post
    I can't imagine any state where it woul be illegal to CC or OC on your own property. But I'm no lawyer, I'm sure California has some obscure law against it.
    I would guess that states would be more apt to make it illegal to CC then they would OC. Most places that don't have specific laws against OC, do have laws against CC without a permit.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks for the link.
    BTW I am working in Missouri.

If it is, I would think it would be very few jurisdictions would prevent CC while in your home. As long as you legaly own the firearm, I think it is safe to believe you can CC inside your own home.

As far as on property, as others have said, it is hard to tell. Call the local PD (non-emergency number). Not guaranteed accuracy, but they tend to know those things.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    If it is, I would think it would be very few jurisdictions would prevent CC while in your home. As long as you legaly own the firearm, I think it is safe to believe you can CC inside your own home.

As far as on property, as others have said, it is hard to tell. Call the local PD (non-emergency number). Not guaranteed accuracy, but they tend to know those things.
    Please dont call the PD, call the guys that will be prosecuting you,
    The DA or SA or one of there many assistants.
    Thay will have the answer for you or they will look it up for you.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

NYC is the only place I've heard of where you need a permit to carry on private property.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon
    readily capable of lethal use
    (3). Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is
    transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily
    accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section
    does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the
    passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully
    possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful
    pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon [business] premises over which the actor has
    possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.
    Am I reading this correctly? It does seem that concealed carry without a license any place except inside of a vehicle is prohibited in MO. OC is however legal on your own property or business, the way I read.

Way to many nor's and or's.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Be careful open carrying. Even if it is legal I have seen articles of how out of control some police can get about it. If you are out in the country, I would not worry about it to much..

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Am I reading this correctly? It does seem that concealed carry without a license any place except inside of a vehicle is prohibited in MO. OC is however legal on your own property or business, the way I read.

Way to many nor's and or's.
    I read that: subsection of 571.030 makes it a crime to carry a concealed firearm amongst other things. Subdivision (3) of subsection 1 states that Subdivisions (1) and more but omitted since they are not here of subsection 1 do not apply when: then goes on to state those conditions of which include or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon [business] premises over which the actor has
    possession, authority or control,

1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon
    readily capable of lethal use
    (3). Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is
    transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily
    accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section
    does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the
    passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully
    possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful
    pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon [business] premises over which the actor has
    possession, authority or control,
    or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Check Handgunlaw.US It should be!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

in GA you must have a GFL to carry outside of your home. the way the law reads you need to have a permit on your own property to CC
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links