FL: not at airport, but dropping friend off

This is a discussion on FL: not at airport, but dropping friend off within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whats the law on this? I know we're not allowed to have it at the airport, but what if I'm dropping a friend off in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL: not at airport, but dropping friend off

FL: not at airport, but dropping friend off

Whats the law on this? I know we're not allowed to have it at the airport, but what if I'm dropping a friend off in front of the terminal? not going into he airport... just outside the terminal (or say picking up)

do I have to leave the stuff home? how about in the glove box??

2. Remove Ads

You should be fine. Law says "inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport". So as far as I know you can take it inside too just not passed security check point. Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any area technical center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ok good. looks like i'm ok. but as soon as I step inside the terminal to wait for a friend, we got problems lol

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    You should be fine. Law says "inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport". So as far as I know you can take it inside too just not passed security check point. Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
    Nope. CC is prohibited anywhere inside the terminal......not just in the secure area.

Don't want to mess with that one!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Nope. CC is prohibited anywhere inside the terminal......not just in the secure area.

+1 but it is okay dropping someone off. Just don't go in the terminal. Stay with the vehicle.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

That is good advise. I still don't know if I agree that a "terminal" can be in a unsecured area. However the way it is worded would make me think they are saying anywhere inside the airport. If I had money to blow and time to waste I might get a lawyer to challenge and/or interpret what a "terminal" is exactly. And I have read what Jon Gutmacher has to say on it. Don't need a response. I WOULD recommend not to CC anywhere inside the airport. The parking lot should be ok

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Define "passenger terminal".
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Just don't go anywhere past the sidewalk with your CCW and you will be fine. The good thing is that Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm has a cellphone waiting area and I just hang out there and wait for the "I'm at the curb" call. So I just drive around, pick up and leave.
    NRA Member

Some would define passenger terminal to include the non-secured ticketing area. So, I'd say you'd could have potential problems carrying anywhere inside the main building.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    My understanding is the ticket counters and baggage claim are NOT the terminal... the terminal and sterile area are the parts of the airport on the OTHER SIDE of the metal detectors...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

It can not mean inside the termial area. I am sure it means the secure area after the screening. What happens when I claim my lugage from the carsoul and it contains a firearm. You mean to tell me that I am in violation of the law. Don't think so. The TSA would have to send my luggage straight to the curb. You also can not check a firearm at the curb on a outbound flight must be done at the ticket counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport
    The word AND makes me think the intent is to be past security.
    Otherwise it would say " the passenger terminal or sterile area of any airport."

However, you won't find me testing this theory. Just dropping someone off, how would they know? They're more concerned with you leaving your vehicle unattended than carrying. O/C? No.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    The baggage claim area and ticketing area are not any part of a "terminal."
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

At Orlando International, the baggle claim and ticket counters are in a completely different building. You have to pass through security and then get on a tram/train thing and then you take a short ride to a separate building which is the terminal. So at least at OIA/MCO, no question about what exactly constitutes the terminal.

So you would be okay there so long as you don't pass through any metal detectors (as one would expect).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links