Do YOU qualify annually for LEOSA?

This is a discussion on Do YOU qualify annually for LEOSA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I have found a ton of great info on your forum here and I have a question for you retired LEOs. Are you ...

Thread: Do YOU qualify annually for LEOSA?

Do YOU qualify annually for LEOSA?

Hello all,

I have found a ton of great info on your forum here and I have a question for you retired LEOs. Are you qualifying annually for LEOSA and how difficult is it for you to get it done? It seems the info I have found on the internet proves how wide ranging the requirements for qualification are and no standard is set.

I live in Idaho now but am a retired correctional peace officer from CA. I don't believe CA Corrections is allowing qualifications for retirees yet (if they ever will due to liability) and besides that is way too far to travel for that anyway. I have my Idaho CCW but live about 20 miles from WA border that does not recognize it. I am contemplating getting my LEOSA qualification since the county sheriff has decided to allow the instructor at my local private range to perform qualifications for LEOSA using the back-up course of fire for the county sheriff deputies. It is a severe PITA that I cannot carry when I go across the state line to the largest city in our area.

How many of you retirees are doing the quals and what is your area requiring? Is it worth it for me to do this since I can? I have not been carrying much since we moved but would like to.

BTW I am a female and like the ability to defend myself and my family. Thanks for all the input and great forum!

redwood66

2. Remove Ads

Greetings and Welcome from Fayetteville, NC!!!

I'm sure there are alot of current/former LEO's on this site that can answer that question.

Just wanted to say Welcome!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I a long way from you but I do not qualify with any LEO dept or group any more. I can't think of any advantage to do so.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Washington State will issue an out of state permit. You will need to apply at the local Sheriff Dept. in Washington. This may be the best idea if you cross into Washington frequently. BTW I am also an ex CA living in Idaho.
    Vic
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II
    Kimber Custom II
    Glock 23, Sig Sauer P225, Kel-Tec PF-9
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. SUN TZU THE ART OF WAR

Thanks for the replies. An out of state may work but I have family in CA and OR also. Those don't have reciprocity with ID. Of course CA is a planet unto itself anyway. vburke do you have an out of state for WA? OR?

No I have an out of state Utah licence that covers Washington and other states. Oregon and California do not recognize any other states concealed weapons permit/license. You can open carry in most locations in Oregon but not in California. Oregon and CA do issue out of state licences but CA would be very hard to get.
    Vic
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II
    Kimber Custom II
    Glock 23, Sig Sauer P225, Kel-Tec PF-9
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. SUN TZU THE ART OF WAR

The LEOSA annual certification is a thing that varies from state to state. The law says you have to meet the LEO proficiency requirements for your current state of residence (which may not be the same as the state where you retired).

I'm living in WV and retired while working in Washington DC. I meet my annual certification requirement by contacting a nearby, active duty, WV State Police firearms instructor and making an appointment to shoot the qualification course they put in place for their own people. I supply my own ammo, shoot at their range and the instructor fills out a standard form documenting that I passed ... I carry a copy of that along with my retirement credentials to prove I'm current.

I feel lucky it is so simple for me, as I know that some states use a very structured format with applications, background check, payment for the service, etc. There are also some states that have decided not to provide a mechanism at all, or to charge an exhorbitant amount ($500, I think in HI?) for administering the annual test. Personally, I think a lawsuit for suppression of a civil right should be pursued in such cases.

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    It depends on your state's requirements. You should be able to qualify in Idaho, even though you were an officer in Kalifornia.

I know my father who is retired in Oregon just looked into it. They are requiring annual for here according to what he found out. The requirements are such a PITA, that I have managed to get him to think about doing a Utah permit.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

For me its easy,my old department uses the state mandated course of fire for VA. I shoot every year,

they are two bills on the floor that says. If your state does not offer training for retired LEO's you will be able to go to another state for training or a orgazation like NRA wil be able to cert you. will checking into some more tommorrow.

Links