Defensive Carry banner

Crimes committed by ccw holders in N.Y. (stats)?

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  jbone 
#1 ·
I did a couple of google searches but came up with nothing. I was hoping to find information about crimes committed by ccw holders in NY (if any). Does anyone know where to find info like that? Thanks!

#3 ·
I'm not sure about NY but here in MI if I go to the Michigan State Police website they have a list of countys then says how many people applied for the ccw, how many were denied and how many were revoked. Revoked CCW holders are then listed by how many were denied for the crime they commited. So you could get the answer threw that means. Here in MI the Michigan State Police over sees all the information on CCW holders.

Try the New York State Police. I'm not sure if they over see the CCW permits or if some other function does. But there should be something pertaining to CCW permit holders threw state or local law enforcemnt agency.

#7 ·
Yes, I don't know how long it takes nowadays but when I got mine it was about 6 weeks from turning in my paperwork to actually having my permit. I will be going through it with my wife though, she is getting hers. I have a concealed carry, no restrictions.

BTW who is that in your avatar?

#9 ·
Not all of NYS require the same items on the CCW permit application. In Monroe county, I just had to get finger printed, give 3 references and wait for 8 months. No course needed. Some counties always give unrestricted and other counties unrestricted permits are almost never issued (just hunting or premise permits).

#11 ·
I don't have a answer for you but I can guess very low. Criminals don't usually apply for the CC permit as they have a state exemption from the law/process.:aargh4:

#15 ·
Every county is different, I am in Saratoga and although I have had a permit (to hunt, target,etc.) it is the judges discretion, and policy that no one gets a ccw. So much for (... " and bear arms shall not be infringed"). Frustration is not an adequate term.

#16 ·
I've had my NYS license for about 20 years and while the hoops change somewhat over time back then it was application in duplicate, three personal references that they do check, fingerprints, criminal background investigation, interview and a six month wait. That gets you a NYS concealed carry license that grants you the privilege of concealed carry with administrative restictions that allow you to carry to and from the range ONLY. And you better make sure you have enough gas and no need for a drink or bathroom break while you're in transit to and from the range.

#17 ·
Here in Dutchess County it took three and a half months (although my friend just got his and it only took two). Its a full carry permit, you need four references, fingerprints, and photo. And yes it is a pain to purchase a handgun, bring the receipt to the sheriffs they mail you a coupon or something two weeks later and you can go pick up the handgun.

Thanks everyone for looking for the info. I'll have to ask the nice lady at the Sheriffs office when I go there tommorow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.