CC okay at gun show?

CC okay at gun show?

This is a discussion on CC okay at gun show? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to my first gun show this weekend up in Anniston to see if I can find something in particular. Since it's going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC okay at gun show?

CC okay at gun show?

I am going to my first gun show this weekend up in Anniston to see if I can find something in particular. Since it's going to be a long trip (about 2 hours) I definitely want to bring a sidearm, but I wasn't sure if there were any standing rules against loaded weapons at gun shows like some gun shops have posted on their window.

I will be carrying my Sigma 40 cal OWB with a jacket on so there's a chance it might poke out just a little bit when I move around, I definitely don't want to get kicked out or anything and I'd rather not have to leaveit in my car. I was hoping some of you more regular gun show attendees could tell me what the policy is on that.

I'm hoping to find a Mosin Nagant 1891 rifle. I've been wanting a bolt action military rifle lately, and the price on these seems great for a little piece of history. If this doesn't work out I've found a couple of good priced sources on the internet but I'd rather buy in person.

I apologize if my post sounds awkward, it certainly does reading it back to myself. I crushed my finger pretty bad at work today so I'm typing one handed and taking shortcuts. Even so it took me about 5 minutes to type this mess. On the plus side, I did get the day off.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

JD
    Administrator
    Most gun shows require that your firearm be clear(unloaded and zip tie through the chamber) prior to entry.

I know it's silly, but they feel it prevents accidents.

EW3
    At all the gun shows here in PA, they make you unload and zip tie your pistol.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    most gun shows i've been to have signs at the front gate saying "no loaded firearms". I've never been patted down or anything, but they do seem to adhere to a honor system of enforcement.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Thanks for the heads up, I'll leave it locked in the glovebox before going in.

Much appreciated!
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Down here in So Fla, they have 2 LEOs at the front door that will clear and ziptie your weapon. No ammo is allowed to be brought in.
    They have no problem with you reholstering it afterward. They also ask that you refrain from reloading until you leave the property.

They had an incident last year, when a lady asked the Glock accessory salesman to install an extended magazine release on her Glock 30. He asked for the gun and she pulled it out of her purse, and pointed it at the man...He snatched it out of her hand and scolded her...then he realized that the magazine was in...so he dropped the mag...when he cleared the chamber...out came a round. She was promptly removed from the premises.
    They also had an incident where someone reloaded their AK-47 outside and put 3 rounds into the side of their van...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

It's not like someone doesn't have your back covered when your in the show anyways.

I would feel safe enough as long as the parking lot wasn't dark or isolated.

One of the gun shows I go to is in the worst part of town. If you don't want to leave it in the car make sure that it is unloaded and let the guys at the door zip tie it.. this is the procedure I've seen them use at most of the shows I go to.

If there are people at the door I probably will let them zip tie it as I would rather not leave it in the car if I can avoid it. Hopefully there will be.

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    most gun shows i've been to have signs at the front gate saying "no loaded firearms". I've never been patted down or anything, but they do seem to adhere to a honor system of enforcement.
    Well, some of this has been debated before actually. Most gun shows I've been to have the same 'no loaded firearms' signs. For a CC'er like myself, and upholding my principles on the matters portrayed......a sign like that opens the door to individual interpretation and does not actually follow the laws of my state for posting in writing 'no concealed weapons allowed' and so forth. I'm not posting this for the sake of an argument because I already know where I stand on the issue and the laws of my state. Also, sign postings are generally done by the promoter of the show, and not the property owner. Arenas, buildings, gymnasiums, and places that generally hold gun shows are merely leased for a period of time from the property owner by the promoter. If I were carrying a pistol into a show in a case, box, rug, or whatever to sell or trade and is open to handling or checking, then of course it would be unloaded, and any magazines with pistol would be empty. If the place is off limits by state laws regarding CC, then of course I wouldn't be carrying there to start with. I've never been searched at a gun show either. You pay a fee to get in.....how much of that fee goes toward your personal security while you are there? I've never seen metal detectors at a gun show. I have seen sheriff deputies and uniformed police officers in the lobby at some for added security. But is the show promoter actually responsible for your safety while there? I've never signed a waiver at a gun show. Best thing I can tell you is contact your issuing authority about it. Read up on your state's carry laws regarding places off limits, or sign postings and criteria. Then again, you may get interpretive answers from them as well. I'd never suggest anyone do anything that's illegal, and hopefully I haven't portrayed doing so in any way. And if all else fails....let your conscience be your guide.

The last gun show I went to had a legal "no CC allowed" sign posted.

I turned around and went back home. It was too crowded anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Most gun shows require that your firearm be clear(unloaded and zip tie through the chamber) prior to entry.

I know it's silly, but they feel it prevents accidents.
    Ya, that's the way it is here too.

While I generally agree with the boycott of "No Weapons" signs, I do understand the need/desire to prevent accidents at a gun show (which would be all the fodder the anti's need to shut them down) and there are a LOT of stupid people at those shows.

My personal solution is to allow my carry piece to be zip tied, but I carry a loaded mag and a small wire cutter on my person. If anything big ever happens, it won't be quite as fast as usualy, but at least I will have a better chance of getting back into action.

What REALLY gets my goat, though, are the gun shows that say you cannot bring any ammo into the building - like you can't get some the minute you walk in the door? How does that help anything?

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I will be carrying my Sigma 40 cal OWB with a jacket on so there's a chance it might poke out just a little bit when I move around,..... .
    Doesn't sound like conceal carry

Most recent show in southeastern VA actually had ziplock bags with stickers on them for ammo. They were clearing the mags and writing the person's name on the bag so they could get it when they came out. Nice enough of them to do that rather than make people walk all the way back out to the car.

But as the above post says, you can buy more the minute you're inside anyway...

I prefer to have my weapon cleared and ziptied, then promplty put it back in the comp-tac and tuck my shirt in. Silly, sure, but it's just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links