I think I am experiencing a paradigm shift.

This is a discussion on I think I am experiencing a paradigm shift. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't tell you how much my life has changed in the past almost 3 months now, but they say that which does not kill ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I can't tell you how much my life has changed in the past almost 3 months now, but they say that which does not kill us makes us stronger. When someone close to you leaves you quite unexpectedly, a lot of things come up that you honestly just never had to worry about before.

I am spending a lot more time watching over immediate relations who are almost universally:

- single and often alone
    - female
    - physically handicapped to some degree
    - sometimes oblivious

I tell you, this makes it a lot harder. This policing other people stuff makes you question everything you do.

I've stopped carrying anything less than a full sized gun in their company. I've changed my carry method to slightly faster OWB holsters much of the time. I carry extra reloads. I've stopped caring if I print just a little bit. I'm a more attentive, meaner ******* to panhandlers and street people who come near my charges.

I didn't even realize it until yesterday, when it occured to me how much weight I was carrying in my pockets, and then I realized I've gradually been stepping it up for weeks now.

I think my whole mindset is evolving. What wasn't a consideration before suddenly is now.

Assistant Administrator
    Stronger Euc - probably - resolute certainly. You are experiencing a sheepdog ''upgrade''!

I doubt you are looking for trouble any more than you ever did but sure as heck - you are not gonna take any crap either - that is how I'd see it. Let us call it a mindset modification too.

Don't let the responsibility sit too heavy on your shoulders but certainly, watch your six and that of others when you can. Try too to educate them more toward their awareness - mostly thru analogy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I can sorta relate.

Im geting very seriouse with my GF of a year. She is nieve, and doesnt have an agressive bone in her body. On top of that she lives in Jacksonville. In an area where I would hardly call a safe place. Its goten to the point to where Im making plans to move there. Im even thinking about a change in my line of work.

Ive been raised to fend, and take care of myself. This is a new situation for me. Its more scary (thats kinda a new feeling too). But it does put everything into prespective for me.

Dont know what to tell ya euc except welcome to being a sheepDog

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    I could sure add something. But I won't all I will say is becareful because things can and will get out of hand quickly.
    I can remember paying Lawyers and the Exs say around $15K total.

I well remember going through much the same thing. Remember to take the occasional "breather" (like that XD45 day!), it's tough to slow things down at times but if you end up burning out you won't be able to help anyone.

I can also relate. For the past 25 years I have been away from my birth family. Its been good medicine for me and them(now just her). I have never really worried about her safety because it was a matter of me just not being there, I was on the other coast. Of course I still cared about her well being, but I just wasn't around.
    Now, I see all the potential threats and assaults that could happen. I am actually surprised after all these years, she hasn't been robbed at home or in town (thank you God...).
    A crippled sweet old lady who can barely walk with a cane, can hardly drive, and can't open a jar of pickles. Anyone who sees her can smell easy target.
    that has changed big time ...

Euclidean,

In my estimation, you are just getting saner and saner all the time!

But, what would you expect from someone with a handle like mine?

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    All things have thier season , and as we mature in life our outlook changes. As we loose our male role models we tend to become more protective of all they left behind , and we hold dear ( including ourselves ) imho its only natural for anyone who accepts the responsibility of self defense to become more viligent as experiance piles up , at least thats how it works in my case lol

And now you understand why I own a pile of pretty much service-size handguns. If I'm going to need to use them, I want hell on tap.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    hell on tap.
    When rfurtkamp runs for president, this will be his campaign slogan.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    If I'm going to need to use them, I want hell on tap.

Id vote for soemone running with that as there slogan

Euc,
    Yep I hear you. My GF is always in condition White. GRRR. This tends to make me much more alert. I have my fullsized M9 which I only carry at night. Most of the time during the day I still carry my G26 with a spare mag, plus 3 folders.
    She likes to watch me jump, she'll be in the kitchen and make some loud noise and watch me come running. she thinks it's funny.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

I'm right there with ya friend. My older brother died at my feet 11 years ago this summer so I became the older brother from that day forward. Now I have a son, who is soon to have a brother, and I'm now a Dad. My younger brother is leaving to work in Washington very shortly, so now I'm taking care of my family at home and my parents. It's a lot of change, a lot of responsibility, and it's going to take a monumental effort.

Chin up, eyes forward and behind, vigilent and ready.

"A new position of responsibility will usually show a man to be a far stronger creature than was supposed." ~William James
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    One less thing for me to worry about, now that I know you'll have a little hell on tap and you and yours will be safer. No one will notice a little printing. Even if it looks like calligraphy, I like a full size grip. Blessings are your tools and training, and this mission is but another stair.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    *-J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links