Pulled over twice in one day...good LEO experience...generally bad day for me

This is a discussion on Pulled over twice in one day...good LEO experience...generally bad day for me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well...I had to drop my wife off at work this morning and was on my way down the Turnpike. I came up to a small ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over twice in one day...good LEO experience...generally bad day for me

Well...I had to drop my wife off at work this morning and was on my way down the Turnpike. I came up to a small traffic jam but my lane was still moving... until a car ahead of me decided it would rather be in a lane that wasn't moving. The bumper was sticking out about 3 feet into my lane so I slowed and crawled over onto the shoulder to avoid having to slam on the brakes. As soon as I passed the car, a Florida Highway Patrol unit pulled out of the next lane and lit me up.
    I pulled over and turned off the ignition. He walked up to my window (Jeep Wrangler top down) and asked for the usual paperwork. I informed him that I had a CWP and was carrying. He asked me to keep my hands on the wheel while he ran my info. He came back and asked me if I knew why I was pulled over and I had no idea. He answered with "an illegal lane change"... I told him that I had been in that lane since I got onto the Turnpike (5 miles) and that all I did was swerve to avoid hitting a vehicle. He told me he saw me go completely onto the shoulder and thought I was driving down it. I politely corrected him and he said "Have a nice day, sorry for the inconvenience..." and he drove off to immediately pull someone over for swerving back and forth between 3 lanes.
    I headed to my local Wally world to pick up some drinks for work and on the way out of the lot realized I forgot a bag... I circled around to the front door and the lady holding my bag walked back inside... as I called for her and darted in, a Brinks Armored truck was backing up to the door in front of me. I didn't notice him backing up and as I grabbed my bag and went to hop back in, a local LEO cut me off and started yelling "I'm gonna give you a ticket for being stupid." I asked what he meant...and he asked what I would think if a car pulled in behind an armored car and someone ran inside. I told him that I didn't notice the Brinks truck when I went to grab my bag and that the lady was flagging me down. He parked behind me and I handed him my ID and CWP and informed him I was carrying. He asked where it was, and if it was loaded. I told him where and said yes. He asked me to turn around and put my hands on top of my head. He reached around and disarmed me and cleared my Glock. He put it in my glove box and came back.
    I realized I kind of screwed up with that situation, since not only did I "stop" in a fire lane, but the Armored car was there as well. He finally told me that he would let me go since I was being very honest with him. I didn't see anything to lie about there... I thanked him and went on my way...

Both LEOs were doing their jobs and I have absolutely no ill feelings towards them. Both were very courteous and as long as I've been driving, I've never parked in a fire lane. The one time I do... I get in trouble. The second LEO said that if I wasn't carrying and so honest...I would have gotten a ticket. He said anyone smart enough to carry legally is a good guy in his book.

Sad part is...I was so shaken (about the prospect of a ticket) that I forgot to get his name...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

geez...stay away from shoulders and brinks trucks

You did well considering the LEO experiences.
    I'd call it a rough day, not a bad day. A bad day would have gotten you tickets.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Rough day!! Lucky you only ran into understanding cops. My advice for you for the rest of the day is to stay inside... its just not your day! :)
    Krockett

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Try going back to bed and get up on the other side....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Could have been worse but it's nice to know S. Florida cops are reasonable.
    Now total up what the tickets might have been and go buy ammo.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    Rough day!! Lucky you only ran into understanding cops. My advice for you for the rest of the day is to stay inside... its just not your day! :)
    Krockett

Geeze.... I agree.... take the rest of the day off, and be real careful going home. You've used up your lucky for the day.

Dude,

Take off your gun, grab a beer (or six pack), kick back, and be proud that you are considered one of the good guys. We really are you know.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I don't' think being called "stupid" is being very courteous if you ask me. Also it is not against the law for if it were the jails would be full and a lot of police would be in there too. I'm glad you didn't get ticketed.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Twice in a day.. i'd say thats bad

Keep that rabbit in your pocket not just his foot

Everyone seems to think this is good, and I suppose it is since you came home alive, but I have issues with the second officer from the start. That birdpoop wouldn't fly around here. Sounds like he was verbally rude to start with, then after being notified by a ccw holder that said person was carrying (clearly an act of honesty), he proceeds to disarm you and eject the chambered round? That's just another chance for a major foul up.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

All things considered you could have a worse day if you had been issued a citation. But your did everything right and the LEO's treated you well once you advised them you were a CWP holder. We all should be so lucky. I hope that I have a LEO pull me over in the future. Here in Las Vegas there are some LEO who are not the most pleasant people when firearms are concerned. Under the circumstances you had a good day. We all should be so fortunate.

Only thing I would add is leaving the gun in the holster would have been fair less dangerous. Not sure why anyone (including a LEO) would want to handle a loaded firearm right in front of a no doubt busy Wally Wood.

yeah, I agree with some of these other people that the 2nd LEO has a few issues he needs to sort out. Doesn't sound like you really did anything wrong to warrant his aggressive behavior.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links