Wally World Walk & Strange encounter with environmental police officer

This is a discussion on Wally World Walk & Strange encounter with environmental police officer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did the Wally World Walk today. Admittedly not the first time I carried, however it is only the third or fourth time I carried ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wally World Walk & Strange encounter with environmental police officer

I did the Wally World Walk today. Admittedly not the first time I carried, however it is only the third or fourth time I carried out of my house and the first I carried when I was alone.

I received my new holsters from High Noon today and decided I was ready to do the walk through. After testing out both holsters (a Bare Asset and a Back Skin) I decided to wear the bare asset feeling that it was more easily concealed. I loaded the dog into the car and off I went.

I tried on a couple cover garments, didn't like any of them though... why do so few womens shirts go all the way past your belt? picked out a belt to try. Checked out the movies, but had just received Crash on Netflix... bought my dog a bone (that counts as a steak right?) They don't sell nachos so I bought some Doritos and headed over to buy some ammo.

There was no one behind the counter so I picked up some shoot n' see targets and was looking at the ammo, and realized they didn't have what I wanted so was turning around to leave just as an older guy walked up behind me. He was open carrying (an EXTREME rarity in Massachusetts) and wearing a hat and jacket that said game warden, when I started walking away he started talking to me. Asked me what kind of ammo I was buying, I told him none because they didn't have what I wanted.

He continued talking to me despite my one word answers. Asked me what I shot and where I took my class, asked if I liked my gun, if I had laser grips on it.

At that point I said no, that I didn't and he PULLED OUT HIS GUN, (somewhat discreetly keeping it low and near his side) and showed me his, and told me how he thought the grips are too thick. He re-holstered very soon after (maybe he realized I wasn't interested in talking to him) Thankfully at that point a walmart employee came up and asked if he needed anything and I was able to walk away
    I thought the whole encounter was strange.. maybe at a gun shop I would have felt less weird about that conversation but at Walmart!!! What is he crazy?

So three questions, does my wally world visit count? Was he strange or am I just over reacting? and How can I avoid encounters like this in the future? (with out being rude)

~Krockett

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I saw "environmental police officer" and thought Al Gore had started up his own army.

It must suck to be a woman. I think a can of mace in your hand would have given him the subtle hint :)
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    the wally world visit counted...but it was close (at least in my book) :-p. He did seem a little strange. Maybe he thought he was flirting?? That still is a little far...inside wal-mart nonetheless.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Well maybe he thought you were good looking and you where looking at ammo. two +'s.

If I saw a girl looking at ammo I'd talk to her, but I'm just a dirty old man anyway.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    My guess is you were printing.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    the wally world visit counted...but it was close (at least in my book) :-p. He did seem a little strange. Maybe he thought he was flirting?? That still is a little far...inside wal-mart nonetheless.
    whew I am glad my visit counted, because I hate going to walmart, and if he was flirting with me HE WAS OLD ENOUGH TO BE MY DAD EWWWWWW.

I am sure he was just being friendly but he couldn't read social cues!

jfl
    Anything that says environmental is gotta be weird
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My guess is you were printing.
    I wasn't I am 100% sure of this. I was being very very careful.

I was wearing a longish shirt, carrying appendix style with a down vest over it, again I was being very careful I am new to this and more than a little paranoid about being made!
    Last edited by Krockett; January 29th, 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add details

You were probably printing and it was his way of letting you know.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

What officer in his right mind would pull a firearm out of its holster in the middle of a store to show someone?

How in the name of Jeff Cooper did you get a carry permit in MA?

My friend, a retired police officer with an UNBLEMISHED record of service had a heckuva time getting a permit until HR218 passed.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    whew I am glad my visit counted, because I hate going to walmart, and if he was flirting with me HE WAS OLD ENOUGH TO BE MY DAD EWWWWWW.

I am sure he was just being friendly but he couldn't read social cues!
    HAHAHAHA not all dirty old men realize they're dirty old men
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

He saw an attractive woman looking at ammo and did what any of us red-blooded, gun-totin', good ol' American boys would do...

Immediately made a fool of himself...

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    What officer in his right mind would pull a firearm out of its holster in the middle of a store to show someone?

Agreed! Not to mention a stranger!

Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    . . . and he PULLED OUT HIS GUN, (somewhat discreetly keeping it low and near his side) and showed me his, and told me how he thought the grips are too thick. He re-holstered very soon after (maybe he realized I wasn't interested in talking to him)

Sounds kinda kinky if you ask me. He definitely thought you were a hotty who loves guns. 2+ in most guys books.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links