Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

This is a discussion on Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good job with your situational awareness. Take all measures you can to beef up your defensive posture. The OC and even tasers are a good ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

Good job with your situational awareness. Take all measures you can to beef up your defensive posture. The OC and even tasers are a good choice that should be legal now. Check into the open carry too. Once again, good job.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Kudos to you for being aware. That's about 60% of the battle right there!

The suggestions for OC and spray and tasers are all good ones that can get you through to 21. My wife is still waiting for her permit and takes her spray whenever she is out jogging.

From a psychological perspective, the most intimidating thing a woman can do to a potential attacker is look him in the eye and get a good description of her. Remember, BGs are looking for victims, not fights! If you look them in the eye, challenge their actions, and show yourself to be confident and competent they are far less likely to choose you to pick on.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think your first mistake is letting your car get near empty...gas stations are a magnet for BGs to pounce on someone. Last year, a soldier got pounced on at a gas station in a small, unlit gas station in an area that was ripe for this...the story was on DC. My other question is why you didn't get in your car and lock the doors while the gas was being pumped...they could of jumped you and taken the car? Or go into the store there? Another story here about a lady being followed and what to do at a gas station.

Finally...OC, stun gun...may not drop them, but they will sure stun them.

Rick

My Daughter

Quote Originally Posted by tdwood View Post
    I think I'm going to get a different knife and carry it for the time being.
    I took my daughter to the last gun show and helped her get a good Taser. No age requirement, no license, sits in a cell phone holder on her belt or clipped to her purse.

AS some have said, Id call the correctional department and report what happen and how those inmates being left un-supervised made you feel threatened.

I also agree with getting some OC spray.

I am the OP's boyfriend. I am a probation officer in the county she goes to college in. It just so happens that the Max security prison is only about 10 minutes from her college. My entire short career has been in probation or parole work except for some work in the State M.E. Unlike other LEO...ALL of the people I encounter in my work are "BAD" people with criminal records. I deal with them in their homes and their turfs 90% of the time....usually by myself. I consider my Situational Awareness to be of the utmost importance for me more than most. Police send them to jail...I send them BACK...if they screw up. They really don't like me...most of the time. I have worked with her a lot to hone her SA, and she has done an excellent job. She is a smart and very beautiful girl who has an interest in her personal protection and being my partner in life and all situations that come. Thats why I love her so much and find her unbelievably sexy. I am very proud of her and her progression thus far. I am thinking about getting her into some real deal OC (not that cheap stuff in convenience stores)and a good concealable defensive knife...possibly a Ka-Bar TDI.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Would it be legal for her to open carry a sidearm in your State at her age?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I would like to suggest you carry OC spray, for now. It's inexpensive, easy to carry and effective is many situations. I'm glad you have a great sense of awareness of your surroundings.

Absolutely. Get a good brand of pepper (OC) spray, like Fox Labs. They sell a handy keychain sized cannister.

I don't know your background, but most of us run the risk of having our own knife used on us, if used as a defensive tool, without any formal training.

Not the case with pepper spray.

Glad you're OK, nice situational awareness!

I would reccomend Kimber Life act. The jets of spray coming out at 90 mph is very impressive and would be impossible to dodge! Good, job at paying attention. I preach SA to my wife everyday! She too is noticing little things around her that just don't seem quite right. That is what it takes to stay safe in this crazy world!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    From a psychological perspective, the most intimidating thing a woman can do to a potential attacker is look him in the eye and get a good description of her. Remember, BGs are looking for victims, not fights! If you look them in the eye, challenge their actions, and show yourself to be confident and competent they are far less likely to choose you to pick on.
    It also helps that I am 5'9". So for the most part if I had to put up a fight I would have a better chance then some girls because of my size.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

T-Bone...not sure if she would be legal for OC carry of a gun...I am gonna check into it. But I'm still not sure it is the best idea. Most LEO especally the rural ones she is going to be in contact with are not real knowledgable on the laws and she could be in for a real hassle if stopped. I am probably going to be looking in to pepper spray for he and a good knife.
    I know training with knifes is recommended but if somebody sneaks up on her and she has to cut and slash it better than the pepper spray as a get the F*&# OFF ME!! tool. Plus if you just pull it out it is enough to scare some people off. I have formal training in ASP and am thinking about possibly buying and training her with an ASP.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I am very glad that the situation turned out for the best for you. From what everyone else is saying, showing that bit of assertiveness makes those that prey on others think twice. You were at least wise enough to not stick around for long as I'm sure there are quite a few that would have been totally oblivious. Being aware of your surroundings is the first step to preventing an attack, which you seemed to have done perfectly.

You did a great job! You should be proud of yourself. I second (or third) everyone's suggestions to (1) call the corrections department, and (2) get some OC spray or some kind of stun gun.

Knives are good, but they are very up-close and down-dirty. Do you want to get that close to them? Do you want to get into a bloody, slippery, stab and grab? 5' 9" or not, you do not have even half the upper body strength of a typical male. Stay away from them!

Also agree that next time, get in your car. Doesn't matter if the nozzle is still in the tank. You can drive off, and laugh in relief if someone gets a picture of you as "another woman who didn't put the nozzle back on the pump."

Good job!
    (says another woman working on her SA)
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Well, did anyone say anything to the field officers superior?
    If someone under me is allowing the general public to feel threatened, it would show on ME, and I would not like it.
    Road crew inmates should understand they are not to play these games of intimidation, and the participants should of been made an example of. It sets a tone of compliance. Rules are nothing unless they are followed. Please contact the authorities and follow through with a complaint, someone was not doing their job.
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    AS some have said, Id call the correctional department and report what happen and how those inmates being left un-supervised made you feel threatened.

I also agree with getting some OC spray.
    She already said she was in another area she wasn't familiar with. Alot of cases, the officer lets the prisoners spread out, like when cutting grass so he cant be right on top of them. Glad to hear she was aware of her surroundings, thats what matters, you have to be responsible for yourself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links