Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

This is a discussion on Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As others have said you did a very good job by being aware of your surroundings. Many young girls wouldn't have noticed until they were ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

As others have said you did a very good job by being aware of your surroundings. Many young girls wouldn't have noticed until they were a threat. I have a young daughter and it makes me sick to hear some of the stories she tells me, grown men trying to pick her and her friends up. Check your states laws, some will require you to be 21 to obtain a CC permit but will allow you to have one in the car at 18, but again check your laws. I have bought my daughter the large Police issue Pepper spray, and she carries a knife everywhere she goes. I already have her a CC gun, just waiting until she is of legal age. Glad you are alright.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I 100% support your decision to carry...BUT...you did exactly the right thing in this situation....get out of there....your car is the place to be, great job being aware of your surroundings....OC spray may help you feel better...but giving yourself at 'out' is the right decision...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I am the OP's boyfriend. I am a probation officer in the county she goes to college in. It just so happens that the Max security prison is only about 10 minutes from her college. My entire short career has been in probation or parole work except for some work in the State M.E. Unlike other LEO...ALL of the people I encounter in my work are "BAD" people with criminal records. I deal with them in their homes and their turfs 90% of the time....usually by myself. I consider my Situational Awareness to be of the utmost importance for me more than most. Police send them to jail...I send them BACK...if they screw up. They really don't like me...most of the time. I have worked with her a lot to hone her SA, and she has done an excellent job. She is a smart and very beautiful girl who has an interest in her personal protection and being my partner in life and all situations that come. Thats why I love her so much and find her unbelievably sexy. I am very proud of her and her progression thus far. I am thinking about getting her into some real deal OC (not that cheap stuff in convenience stores)and a good concealable defensive knife...possibly a Ka-Bar TDI.
    +1 on the Ka-Bar TDI. I absolutely love mine. I have one of three that I carry with me at all times. God help you if you ever get on the wrong end of my TDI.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

According to Handgunlaw.us, minimum age to OC in WV is 18(seems that's quite common in other states if you travel anywhere else). So that is an option for you until you turn 21.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdwood View Post
    It also helps that I am 5'9". So for the most part if I had to put up a fight I would have a better chance then some girls because of my size.
    True enough, but remember it is the size of the fight in the dog, NOT the size of the dog in the fight. (no disrespect intended!)

Sounds like your BF is the real deal as far as helping you with SA; keep that with you wherever you go. Just being aware of your surroundings will keep you out of 90% of SD situations IMAO.

Any interest in taking some martial arts training? Few ladies can rely on size against an attacker; not too many BG's are going to go after someone larger than them. Technique will make the difference, and having a backup to a firearm (or in your case an alternative for the time being) would probably be wise. I love it personally and so do my wife and kids.

Blessings to you!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Hello fello West Virginians. OC is "technically" legal in WV. However, they have this thing about disturbing the peace in most of the cities and towns. So many of them it is actually illegal within city limits. Quite silly really, but that is they way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    True enough, but remember it is the size of the fight in the dog, NOT the size of the dog in the fight. (no disrespect intended!)

Sounds like your BF is the real deal as far as helping you with SA; keep that with you wherever you go. Just being aware of your surroundings will keep you out of 90% of SD situations IMAO.

Any interest in taking some martial arts training? Few ladies can rely on size against an attacker; not too many BG's are going to go after someone larger than them. Technique will make the difference, and having a backup to a firearm (or in your case an alternative for the time being) would probably be wise. I love it personally and so do my wife and kids.

Blessings to you!
    I live in a pretty small town and I don't think martial arts is even taught anywhere. I would like to take the class though. I think I am going to get a KA-BAR and carry it and some good pepper spray.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

You can carry in your vehicle in plain sight throughout WV:

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    AS some have said, Id call the correctional department and report what happen and how those inmates being left un-supervised made you feel threatened.

I also agree with getting some OC spray.

They not only made her feel threatened, but they were very likely looking to make an escape in her car. Definitely report them!

Quote Originally Posted by jawest12 View Post
    Hello fello West Virginians. OC is "technically" legal in WV. However, they have this thing about disturbing the peace in most of the cities and towns. So many of them it is actually illegal within city limits. Quite silly really, but that is they way it is.
    I'm only aware of Charleston and Dunbar being grandfathered for banning of OC. I guess there may be other towns that do what they please, but it would probably be illegal.
    I'd check with the PD in your town to make sure.....
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

In WV, what is the age of gun ownership? If you are legal to own, are you allowed to carry a gun in your vehicle(glovebox)? Many states allow this. This would allow a gun to be available for self defense purposes.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

I believe all women should carry. Since my little lady won't/can't carry at work, I talked her into carrying a benchmade folder and OC spray. She has knife training and she's a gold medalist in Brazilian Jiujitsu, but I still worry. Get all of the training you can. My lady was attacked by two crackheads, luckily she wasn't raped or killed, but that's what it took for her to see the "light". If it would happen today, they wouldn't be with us onymore.
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    In WV, what is the age of gun ownership? If you are legal to own, are you allowed to carry a gun in your vehicle(glovebox)? Many states allow this. This would allow a gun to be available for self defense purposes.
    You have to be 18 to own a shotgun or rifle, but of course you have to be 21 to own a handgun. Unfortunately I fall in between at 19.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

Quote Originally Posted by tdwood View Post
    You have to be 18 to own a shotgun or rifle, but of course you have to be 21 to own a handgun. Unfortunately I fall in between at 19.
    I am no expert on WV law, but it may be that you are too young to BUY a handgun, but you may still be able to possess one:

OpenCarry.org - State Information For West Virginia

I'm definitely getting my license when i can!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links