Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

This is a discussion on Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Go girl and go eer's. I agree with the pepper spray and knife,(If you get trained to use it). My daughter,wife,dil, and sil all are ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

Go girl and go eer's. I agree with the pepper spray and knife,(If you get trained to use it). My daughter,wife,dil, and sil all are armed with spray and have been through scenario training with it. Your bf should be able to help you there. Now, get a carry gun and practice shooting and get trained to respond if needed. Just having a gun is not enough. Prepare yourself.

2. Remove Ads

Personally I believe it takes alot more training to use a knife in self-defense than it does to use a gun. I would think a person may be in more danger by depending on a knife.

Michael

She is becoming much more SA and I am very proud of her. Many of my friends and family think I am "off in space" or ignoring them and being rude by looking around when they talk. I have to explain a lot that I am simply taking things in and scanning constantly. It amazes them a lot when I repeat back what they are saying pretty much verbatim. I think that the best situation to get in to is out of the bad one coming your way. Just because your trained with an SD gun and what not does not mean you have to use it. I used to work for this particular corrections agency and have thought about calling somebody. Just cant decide, whether it will do any good. Thought about approaching the superior telling him "dont wanna get anybody in trouble just FYI..better me calling in a nice polite way than say a VIP whose wife/daughter/SO got scared by these prisoners (town is only about 30 min from state capital)...possibly causing you and your underling their job." Anybody agree?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tdwood View Post
    It's the same here. Have a year and a half to go... I think I'm going to get a different knife and carry it for the time being.
    Although a knife can be a devastating weapon, it must be used ruthlessly and generously - something difficult for most civilized people - especially a 19-yr-old young lady - to wrap their heads around. Because most of them know this, a street punk or criminal is not generally afraid of a knife-wielding victim unless he looks like an old Hell's Angel or UFC fighter.
    I don't want to be discouraging; rather, I hope you will think about this and learn to use what you have, effectively. You can't be "squeamish" about causing grave damage to the perp; remember what HE had in mind for YOU, first - HE started it, YOU have to finish it.!
    I have a wife and four daughters, the oldest is 18 yrs old. You have my heart, girl.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    that's true. a gun may have helped if SHTF, but the best defense you can have is what you already deployed today...SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Good job keeping your surroundings in check and knowing what was going on! I hope the officer started paying more attention...
    Very good observation!
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    Although a knife can be a devastating weapon, it must be used ruthlessly and generously - something difficult for most civilized people - especially a 19-yr-old young lady - to wrap their heads around. Because most of them know this, a street punk or criminal is not generally afraid of a knife-wielding victim unless he looks like an old Hell's Angel or UFC fighter.
    I don't want to be discouraging; rather, I hope you will think about this and learn to use what you have, effectively. You can't be "squeamish" about causing grave damage to the perp; remember what HE had in mind for YOU, first - HE started it, YOU have to finish it.!
    I have a wife and four daughters, the oldest is 18 yrs old. You have my heart, girl.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    I agree with a lot of girls not understanding that and being able to grasp the fact that they have to violently use it and not just act like they are going to. If someone is out to hurt me they can better believe I will have no problem hurting them. I'm normally not squeamish at all and I definitely wouldn't be when it comes to a perp trying to hurt me.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

I agree with a lot of girls not understanding that and being able to grasp the fact that they have to violently use it and not just act like they are going to. If someone is out to hurt me they can better believe I will have no problem hurting them. I'm normally not squeamish at all and I definitely wouldn't be when it comes to a perp trying to hurt me.
    If you can handle this much, all I can add is: never let the blade be seen, until EMS digs it out of him. If he sees it - at all - you've forfeited what should be an advantage, plus he's likely to "ramp-up" the level of violence of the attack to compensate for the increased level of resistance you demonstrate.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

The idea of carrying in the car should be getting more attention here. In many states you can car-carry even without a CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    If you can handle this much, all I can add is: never let the blade be seen, until EMS digs it out of him. If he sees it - at all - you've forfeited what should be an advantage, plus he's likely to "ramp-up" the level of violence of the attack to compensate for the increased level of resistance you demonstrate.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    I am thinking about carrying a KA-BAR on my belt. Probably SOB or about 4 to 4:30.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    The idea of carrying in the car should be getting more attention here. In many states you can car-carry even without a CHL.

I'm not old enough to own a handgun. I'm afraid if I have a gun in my car out in the open if I would ever get pulled over it would be a major hassle. Especially through some of the areas that I travel through. I don't think they are to accepting of the idea.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

She travels through some very small burgs on her way to school every day and the depts are one and two man depts. where the officers have usually washed out from bigger depts. They tend to be a little gung ho...speed traps and such. I dont think a gun with her under 21 is the best idea. I have the distinct advantage of being a liitle more knowledgeable of the local LE due to my position within the courts. So it just doesnt seem like the best option currently.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Granted they may have been completely harmless.....

tdwood,

Glad your situation turned out as good as it did for you. I have taken one thing you said, quoted it above, and offer this: if they were completely harmless, they would most likely not be part of an inmate work crew.

Ever watch the late night show on MSNBC called 'Lockup' ? It features maximum security prisons all around the country, and they interview and profile some pretty bad types confined within the walls. I think that show is one of the best selling tools we have for concealed carry... if you think about it this way: every one of those really bad inmates featured on the show was out on the streets, mixing with the general public (that means all of us) before they went to prison.

Good luck on getting your carry license in the future..... and as a Father (and old enough to be your Grandfather), I just have one bit of advice, which I am sure you have learned by now: Keep that gas tank full !!

Don't bother with a knife. Unless you know how to use one and that takes skill and training you will probably get it taken away from you and used on you. The first rule of knife fighting is to accept that you will be cut yourself from using a knife in a fight. Your best defense is chemical in nature. Get a good quality pepper spray and keep it with you. In the situation you described you could easily have protected yourself against those dirt bags and gotten away. Situational awareness and avoidance are always the best first defense.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Another vote for Open Carry esp since you can open carry in the car too :)

OpenCarry.org - State Information For West Virginia

Summary
    West Virginia is a traditional open carry state but there are some grandfathered local open carry bans not preempted by state law, such as the City of Charleston. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, but any local laws passed before preemption remain in effect.

Legal Disclaimer We make every effort to provide correct information on this site. However, the legal landscape surrounding open carry is fluid and subject to a myriad of political influences in the various states. Therefore, any and all information you glean from this site should be independently verified!
    Forum To read real open carry stories from West Virginia or to contribute your own, click here
    State Constitution Article III, Section 22

A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state, and for lawful hunting and recreational use.
    Minimum Age to OC 18
    Preemption Complete State Preemption of All Firearm Laws except those ordinances that were in effect at the time preemption was passed.

NOTE: Almost all states allow local regulation of the discharge of firearms
    Open Car Carry You may open carry in a vehicle except guns configured for hunting.
    Private Sales Not Yet Determined
    Permit Issued Not Yet Determined
    K-12 Carry Not Yet Determined

NOTE: The Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act Restricts Carry to Permit Holders
    College Carry Carry Not Statutorily Prohibited

NOTE: Even if Legal, Students May be Subject to Academic Sanctions
    Places Off Limits

Currently Being Researched

State Law

* West Virginia Code

Official Documents

State Organizations

Local Ordinances

Concealed Carry Available at Handgunlaw.us
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig