Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

This is a discussion on Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On my way to college I have to cross a mountain and I have a V6 in my car, which isn't the best on gas, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

Today helped me confirm my decision to conceal carry...

On my way to college I have to cross a mountain and I have a V6 in my car, which isn't the best on gas, and I realized my car was almost on empty. I stopped at a small gas station as soon as possible because I did not want to take the chance of breaking down in this community. I know absolutely no one in this very small town, and I have no cell phone service. As I pulled into the gas staion I noticed a white passenger van about 25 feet from the pumps. I saw people along the road picking up trash and immediately thought...inmates. However, I didn't give it much thought. I figured I was just being paranoid. Well...I wasn't. They were wearing an orange hat, an orange vest, and orange sweatshirt, etc. They were quite obviously an inmate work crew. While I was pumping gas I noticed a few of them started walking toward me. I thought it was no big deal, but still was aware of my surroundings. I looked at the van to make sure their correctional officer was watching them, but he was parked beside another jeep chatting away. I got a little nervous at this point, but still remained calm. I could hear them talking and looking and me and having that look while they were talking. I finished pumping gas as quickly as possible, got my receipt, got in my car, and locked the doors. Being a 19 year old girl, I feel very defenseless in these types of situations. This incident confirmed my decision to carry and makes me wish I could get my license now. Granted they may have been completely harmless, but having a gun strapped to my side would have made me feel a lot safer. Just in case something would have got out of hand.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tdwood View Post
    makes me wish I could get my license now.
    What's the age in WV to get a permit?

In TN you have to be 21.

David
    Sure you can trust the Government...Just ask an Indian.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    that's true. a gun may have helped if SHTF, but the best defense you can have is what you already deployed today...SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Good job keeping your surroundings in check and knowing what was going on! I hope the officer started paying more attention...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Maybe you should call the local jail/prison to report the officer for not paying attention to his charges?

VIP Member
    As a father, if you were my daughter, I would have had a stroke hearing that story!

I totally agree with your decision to get armed.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Trekbike View Post
    What's the age in WV to get a permit?

In TN you have to be 21.

David
    It's the same here. Have a year and a half to go... I think I'm going to get a different knife and carry it for the time being.
    "Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed." -Lowell Duckett

I would like to suggest you carry OC spray, for now. It's inexpensive, easy to carry and effective is many situations. I'm glad you have a great sense of awareness of your surroundings.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    As a father, if you were my daughter, I would have had a stroke hearing that story!

I totally agree with your decision to get armed.
    Didn't tell dad. Just the boyfriend who I live with.

Didn't tell dad. Just the boyfriend who I live with.
    He better be packing

Quote Originally Posted by msduckland View Post
    He better be packing

Open carry's legal in W.Va.............either on the seat or on your body.......you might get questioned but it is a way around the age issue!

A college girl that wants to CC. Why aren't there more like you?
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

As pcon said, you already employed your best defense tool, situational awareness. You, at 19 years old, are already way ahead of the game and much more aware of your surroundings that 95% of the pin head sheeple walking around on this planet. Well done.

And I would also advise you to check into the legality of carrying openly in your state. If it is legal for you to OC at 19, then the fact that you have to travel through a area where you know no one, have no cell service and the area is remote, I would advise you to do it. If you were my daughter I would want you to carry in any way that you legally can right now.

If you do choose to OC, pick a good security holster, like a Blackhawk SERPA, and practice you r draw, and retention of the gun in case of a gun grab attempt.

For the time being, I would suggest some OC spray, and a good knife.

Again, well done on the SA!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

#1 on what TN Mike said
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

On my way to college I have to cross a mountain and I have a V6 in my car, which isn't the best on gas, and I realized my car was almost on empty. I stopped at a small gas station as soon as possible because I did not want to take the chance of breaking down in this community. I know absolutely no one in this very small town, and I have no cell phone service. As I pulled into the gas staion I noticed a white passenger van about 25 feet from the pumps. I saw people along the road picking up trash and immediately thought...inmates. However, I didn't give it much thought. I figured I was just being paranoid. Well...I wasn't. They were wearing an orange hat, an orange vest, and orange sweatshirt, etc. They were quite obviously an inmate work crew. While I was pumping gas I noticed a few of them started walking toward me. I thought it was no big deal, but still was aware of my surroundings. I looked at the van to make sure their correctional officer was watching them, but he was parked beside another jeep chatting away. I got a little nervous at this point, but still remained calm. I could hear them talking and looking and me and having that look while they were talking. I finished pumping gas as quickly as possible, got my receipt, got in my car, and locked the doors. Being a 19 year old girl, I feel very defenseless in these types of situations. This incident confirmed my decision to carry and makes me wish I could get my license now. Granted they may have been completely harmless, but having a gun strapped to my side would have made me feel a lot safer. Just in case something would have got out of hand.
    Sorry that this had to happen to you. Of coarse had the correctional officers been paying attention it probably would have not happened and you would not have had to feel that way. It excites(in a good way guys!) me to hear that a woman wants to carry. There are a few out there that love guns and weapons, but when a woman makes that decision that she needs to carry I think it is great. We all should be able to defend ourselves, and if carrying plus being aware of your surrounds-which you were and that is the number 1 thing to worry about-is what you want then I encourage you to do so once you reach that age. In the meantime, do your homework, find a weapon that fits nicely in your hand, and on your side, or in your purse. Be comfortable, as I am sure you will be.

Thanks for sharing your story.
    Eric

There were NO Guns used to take over the flights on 9-11, IT STILL HAPPENED

Wake up Americans - GUN CONTROL - Means WE LOOSE

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Good job on being aware of your surrondings. And a big thump on the head to the corrections officer for not watch what was going on.
    Had I been in your shoes I would have pressed the panic button on my car alarm to get the attention of the C/O.
    And please always make sure you lock your car while you are pumping gas, you don't want a surprise when you get back in.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links