Why do YOU carry?? - Page 6

Why do YOU carry??

This is a discussion on Why do YOU carry?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; to protect me, my family, and others who are in legal danger....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do YOU carry??

to protect me, my family, and others who are in legal danger.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    As a former armed/unarmed security officer, Private Investigator, and current Police Officer I carry for obvious reasons. With 30 years of law enforcement experience (both public and private sectors) I have made a number of enemies. Any of these characters may try to harm my family or me at any time.

Many years ago, I watched "The Night of The Living Dead." I also read the news.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I had too many friends and family ask me that question in a rude and challenging way, and I realized they really just wanted to argue about the issue.

I got tired of giving a verbose, long winded justification which to their minds was just prevarication and paranoid excuses.

"I carry a gun in case I need to shoot someone.
    CLEAR?"

They eventually understood that.

Why I carry A gun.

This May or may not be the reasoning, with some of you,but here is my reasoning.

I don't carry A Gun to kill people,I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry A gun because I'm paranoid, I carry because the world can be A scary place to live.

I don't carry A gun because I hate the government, I carry because I know the limitations of the government.

I don't carry A gun because because I'm evil I carry because of the
    evil that's lurks in our society.

I don't carry A gun because I love it, I carry because I feel A need to
    protect the ones that I love.

The way I see it folks,carrying A gun is uncomfortable,but it is comforting,
    BradL likes this.

Because I can...pretty simple.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Why do I carry

I worked in prison for 35 years and a large part of that included inmate discipline. I have often run into exinmates in the local stores. Thats when I decided I needed to be prepared all the time.

... All of the above.

Because it is my responsibility to keep my wife and children safe. Specifically to keep my children safe so that they can make their contribution to the world.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Because it's my ultimate empowerment.

Because no one is going to take care of me, but me. I cannot depend on anyone else.

Because I will not allow someone to tell me, "You shouldn't leave your home after dark, it's not safe for a girl like you."

Because I will not allow someone to tell me what I can and can't do, where I can and cannot go, solely because I am a young woman.

I'm going to take back my life, my liberties.

Still waiting on my CHL, but I imagine that when I have it, I will walk with my chin up a little bit higher.

Confident. Empowered.

Because hearing of a woman my age getting shot and killed over an attempted robbery of her cell phone two minutes from my home was a wake-up call.

Because the present political rhetoric disgusts me. Listening to a candidate for my state's senator explaining what constitutes "legitimate rape" repulsed me beyond words. It proved to me that there are still people out there that believe that sometimes a woman is "asking for it", depending on how short that skirt is, and that all that matters is what she does with the conceived zygote, but the trauma itself and its impact on the woman is of little to no importance.

Because as much as I would love to change the violent culture of our society, that's not going to happen over night.

This is the world in which we live.

Because no one is going to take care of me, but me.

Because our forefathers fought for this right.

Because I've witnessed my family south of the border, forced out of their homes, or further into hiding, because their towns have been taken over by drug cartels. Easily overtaken, because of the lack of a fundamental right - no right to bear arms.

Because I have a Mr. Croft, that I love more than anything else in this world, and that is worth protecting.

Because I am revolted by the mindset of criminals, that they are entitled to invade one's home, their property, their bodies to take what they want, because they have a gun.

Guess what, a**holes? I have one, too.

Because no one is going to take care of me, but me.
    Darrow75 and hcrum87hc like this.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I used to be able to hold my own in any scuffle! But the years of wear and tear on my body have left me to where if I did hit someone it would hurt me more than them! And Scuffles them self's have changed. It used to be a fight in the parking lot was just that. no one was badly hurt, the guy who got knocked down wouldn't get stomped while he was down, and most times they were still friends after it was over. But these days it never seems to end that way. I work in a jail and see it all the time. Guys are in there for shooting another for just looking at him funny. DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garrity View Post
    ..."Why do you carry?"...
    I legally carry a firearm in case it becomes necessary to use one.

Quote Originally Posted by garrity View Post
    ...Im just curious if next to the obvious of wanting to protect yourself if there was a threatened occurence in your life that motivated you to start carrying? or are there other reasons?...
    Since there is both Good and Evil in this world, there is always a possibility that without warning, Evil might threaten Good.

One does not need a "reason" to carry a firearm...Bearing Arms is a right granted to us by our creator...This is all the justification we need.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Jeff Cooper
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I think the primary reason I carry is because I can. Today's society seems to be making it more important to use that right. We had a home invasion in our little community recently. I have always kept a gun in the house.

I have carried since I was 21 and im 35 now, but When you hear stories about that Doctor who had to endure the unfortunate situation of those two scumbags that broke into his house, raped and murdered his wife and kid right in front of him as he was bound with duct tape, That re-enforced why I carry, I know many may think this is strange but sometimes I carry while Im just sitting at home on my pc or watching tv.. That may be a little much, I dont know. Im not paranoid and I dont sleep with it in my bed in my hand lol, but I will occcasionally put in on my belt especially when I get new holsters..

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links