Why do YOU carry??

This is a discussion on Why do YOU carry?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mg27 I know many may think this is strange but sometimes I carry while Im just sitting at home on my pc ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do YOU carry??

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    I know many may think this is strange but sometimes I carry while Im just sitting at home on my pc or watching tv.. That may be a little much, I dont know. Im not paranoid and I dont sleep with it in my bed in my hand lol, but I will occcasionally put in on my belt especially when I get new holsters..
    hmmm...as I look down while typing here at my computer and see the little carry gun on my hip...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Because I have good sense and choose to exercise it as often as I can.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

See signature below.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

I have four reasons to carry. The first three are ages 5, 5, and 2. The fourth is the woman that blessed me with the first three.
    goldmaster and Avned like this.

Sad Reasons

The world is changing for what seems the worst in my opinion. My wife is a child & adolescent psychiatrist. She deals with parents that are seeking drugs to sell on the streets, and kids that are very destructive (were talking the kind of kids that would pull a Columbine mass shooting). The really sad part, when returning to ND, my home state, my own sister started to make death threats to me. Thank goodness the wife reassures me that she is very sick. So, with my sister it was either I carry, or get a restraining order. The restraining order would have opened up a whole can of worms within my family so, since I carry due to the wife's field of work, pardon the pun, kill 2 birds with one stone.
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

I may be a little late to this thread, sorry I'm new to this forum and new to CC. I got my permit and carry because bad things happen to good people. Every week on the news there is more and more stories about shootings and armed robbery in my city. Not to mention what happened at the movie theater in Colorado. In the words of the instructor who taught my CC class, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    Every week on the news there is more and more stories about shootings and armed robbery in my city.
    After spending years in a trauma ER I can promise you with a great deal of certainty, you are way, way low on your estimate or assumption of what happens regardless of your municipality.

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    I know many may think this is strange but sometimes I carry while Im just sitting at home on my pc or watching tv.. That may be a little much, I dont know. Im not paranoid and I dont sleep with it in my bed in my hand lol, but I will occcasionally put in on my belt especially when I get new holsters..
    I wake up, take a shower, put my clothes and my gun on. Carry it all day and put it in my night stand right as im about to go to sleep. I dont think thats its stange and the ones that do are the ones that someday might get taken advantage of in their own home.

Senior Moderator
    I carry to defend myself and those that I love
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Why do I carry? I live a short 45 min drive from the big D. I watch the news each morning before work. I will not be a news story and an obituary.

I don't have my CCW yet (patiently awaiting Nevada), however, I will carry to protect myself and my family which includes my wife and my dear children. I do carry in my house and property all day and will continue to do so even when I get my CCW. Never know what kind of crazies are roaming the streets. Especially when you live in a place dubbed "Sin City".

Be safe!

I carry because my job makes me deal with complete strangers daily. One time I was In a bad neighborhood, and I was open carrying at the time (cc wasn't legal yet) and I was going out to my truck for materials and I stumbled upon a crack head rummaging through it. She picked up a pipe wrench laying in my truck. She advanced toward me with the wrench in her hand, obviously missing my gun on my hip. I drew and presented and she said an expletive and ran away faster than I ever saw anyone run. I know in my heart if I didn't get that feeling to open carry that day I would have wound up in the hospital or worse.

I [am going to] carry to protect people who have chosen to exercise their right to be non-violent(lambs) from those who would cause them harm(wolves). Since I don't think I have the courage to be a pacifist, I think I'll have to try and use violence(only if necessary) to be one of the good guys.

Why does this sound so cheesy when you read it out loud?

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I carry to give myself an advantage in protecting my family and myself. If I can also protect others, I will do my best to do so, but my primary concern is my family.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Why do I carry? For more than a year a struggled with the question, Why should I carry? While I was raised around guns, and frequently engaged in shooting sports as a teen, I traditionally felt that members of a civilized society have no need of guns.

As a have grown older, I have perceived or imagined an increase in violent crimes. I have gotten away, so far, with not yet becoming a victim, but statistics can not be beaten and the law-of-averages has no remorse. At 51-years of age, I am now too old to fight, too tired to run, and when seconds count the police are only minutes away. Since I can't carry a cop, I carry a gun.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links