Why do YOU carry??

This is a discussion on Why do YOU carry?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, that might sound like a stupid question, "Why do you carry?" but I guess Im wondering what everyone's motive is..I am a newbie and ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why do YOU carry??

Why do YOU carry??

OK, that might sound like a stupid question, "Why do you carry?" but I guess Im wondering what everyone's motive is..I am a newbie and just took my CCW class last Saturday. My husband has been carrying for over a year now. Im just curious if next to the obvious of wanting to protect yourself if there was a threatened occurence in your life that motivated you to start carrying? or are there other reasons? My motivation is to protect my girls, and of course when Im by myself with or without them. Also, God forbid anything happen to my husband, though he is our prime protector (next to God of course, in my opinion), I want to be confident in protecting myself and my girls..Not too long ago I was waiting at the stop light. I see this guy get out of his car and started banging and screaming at the lady in the car next to me..By judging the looks of the guy and the lady, I didnt see them as knowing each other personally..Maybe she cut him off in traffic or something..I think that was my defining moment that I was going to take my class and get more confident in handguns..Since then I have made substantial improvement with my confidence levels and knowledge of guns..Would love to hear everyone else's motive/stories..thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That's probably the simplest terms I can put it in. If I carry, I can preserve all three.
    mg27 and Avned like this.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

There is no one in this world that cares for me or my family more than I do. I take our safety very seriously. I know that I will respond in a timely manner when called upon. I will use whatever I have to, evasion, deathly force or whatever it takes.
    I spend time, effort and money to prepare and train. It is cheap insurance - better than carrying a Cop around!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Because a lot of good men died a very very long time ago in order to give me the right to say, "Because I can." Therefore I do.

God Bless America.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Why do I carry? General question gets a general answer...............it makes me complete as I am a self sufficient person who depends on very little.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Because I can, I do. It's a right that's priceless !

Seems to me that over 200 years ago, the right to arm oneself was included in the Bill of Rights to preclude a tyrannical government; secondly for self defense and utilitarian purposes. Today seems somewhat the opposite. Today, I believe most of carry to protect us from each other---the government has already gotten out of control. Speaking for myself and only myself, I always do a threat assessment before carrying, and only carry when neccessary. I do not "enjoy" carrying, and wish that the elements in our society that make folks want to carry were not present.
    mg27 likes this.

I carry because I refuse to let anybody in my family become a victim.
    I come from a very violent country where I heard first hand a lot of disturbing things that happened to people around me. The US is definitely better but it is not free of those dangers. My wife and I are starting a family and I won't be, or put them in a situation, where we are at the mercy of BGs.
    Somebody tries to invade my home or threatens my family, and will probably end up tasting lead.... 230gr. +P HSTs to be exact.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

It is my responsibility to protect my family. A firearm, like the judicial system or a knife or a cell phone or alarm system, is a tool which helps me to ensure the safety of my family. But, utlimately, it is primarily my responsibility. And I will do whatever it takes.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Why do I carry?

Well besides the already stated "because I can" idea, I do it because the World is a sick and violent place, at the same time being a wonderful and beautiful place. And that line in the sand can blur at any moment.

I carry for many reasons all told, but mostly it is because being a victim is not one of my life aspirations. I don't ever want to be in a position where my family is in danger and I cannot do anything about it.

Always wanted to.
    Believe a freedom not exercised is a freedom lost.
    Never had a need to use a weapon in my life yet, and now I don't have to worry that I might. . .
    Firmly believe that more guns in the hands of conscientious law-abiding citizens results in less crime.

I like living under the rule of law. Unfortunately there is no law that says the police HAVE to protect us (law actually says they don't have to). They simply can't be everywhere at once. Typically, the police will come by after the fact - to interview witnesses and perhaps (or perhaps not) catch the criminal.

Meanwhile, you (the victim) are left with the results of the criminal attack. Perhaps you were robbed and survived unscathed, or maybe you (or loved one) were beaten or raped, or even murdered. Self-defense is the only realistic method of preventing criminal attack, IMO. A powerful handgun in a well-trained hand is a very viable method of self-defense. That's why I carry.

However, I also realize the MONUMENTAL responsibility that comes with CCW. Guns are extremely dangerous at all times, so you always need to be vigilant - not just about criminals, but about gun safety as well.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Because I can & because you never know if today is gonna be the day.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member
    Because the good Lord allows bad people to walk on the Earth.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I carry because God gave me the courage and the wisdom to believe in something most people take for granted and that is Our Rights. I have a choice in the event I am confronted if I want to protect myself, my family or someone in need. Or I can crawl into a ball tuck my tail between my legs and die. I choose to Protect.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links