Interesting article regarding TX open carry and campus carry

This is a discussion on Interesting article regarding TX open carry and campus carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if this is a duplicate. 2 gun bills are likely to set off flurry of debate Later, B....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article regarding TX open carry and campus carry

Sorry if this is a duplicate.

2 gun bills are likely to set off flurry of debate

Later,
    B.

Boo yah-- hope it passes!
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

I love Texas.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Either one would be pleasing.
    Both would be stupendous.

B.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I do love Texas. For some dang reason though, I can see the CC on campus winning and the OC loosing, don't ask me why, just a gut feeling here.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I'd like to see carry allowed on school campuses of all types (how else can you keep PTA meetings civil?) before I'd want OC, but a win for gun rights is a win... so I hope they both go through - even though I'd probably never OC in public.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

VIP Member
    It appears from the article the biggest stumbling block is going to be a lack of unity between SCCC and TX OC org. If they start fighting against each other both sides lose.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    That is fantastic news! I'll be keeping an eye out for both of these issues, as well as the "guns at work" blurb at the bottom.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Here in Texas, there is a big debate going on with gun-owners and CHL holders over the wisdom of Open Carry. As a CHL holder, the only reason I would want OC to pass would be to minimize or eliminate the penalty for mistakenly showing a concealed firearm. I can see the wisdom of OC, but it's not a big deal to me.

On the other hand, the two issues I REALLY want to see passed are the campus carry legislation and parking lot storage. I've been torn about backing parking lot carry because I'm also a big advocate of private property owners' rights to determine their own rules, but people should not have to be unarmed going to and from work.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

That is all.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    As a CHL holder, the only reason I would want OC to pass would be to minimize or eliminate the penalty for mistakenly showing a concealed firearm.
    But if you read the penal code, you will realize that accidental exposure is not against the law in Texas. It only applies when purposely done so to cause alarm. Here is the code:

PENAL CODE

TITLE 9. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND DECENCY

CHAPTER 42. DISORDERLY CONDUCT AND RELATED OFFENSES

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;
    Many advocates of OC use this as an argument for support; but the truth is that OC won't give CHL holders any more protection that what currently exists!

However, lifting the restrictions on where you cannot carry is always a welcomed initiative. If the OC passes, that's cool; but what we really need is more places to be able to legally carry!

Cheers! M2

“I don't want to return to a 19th-century Wild West urban atmosphere for Texas,” said state Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Forth Worth.

Just like a true lib, just keep saying the same thing over and over again, even when it's been disproven, and say it again.

I didn't see if this OC bill is for UNLICENSED OC, or just OC by permit?

Also, would this CC on campus bill just rescind the state law banning it,in which case the university could ban it; or are we talking Utah-style, no university can ban it?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    From what the article said, it would be OC for licensed carriers, but I have no idea if that's what the bill states...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    But if you read the penal code, you will realize that accidental exposure is not against the law in Texas. It only applies when purposely done so to cause alarm. Here is the code:

Many advocates of OC use this as an argument for support; but the truth is that OC won't give CHL holders any more protection that what currently exists!

However, lifting the restrictions on where you cannot carry is always a welcomed initiative. If the OC passes, that's cool; but what we really need is more places to be able to legally carry!

Cheers! M2
    The devil is in the details. I would rather not leave it up to each LEO to sort it out. Just take it off the table.

Again, my wish is the same as yours--fewer limitations on where to carry. I think we're on the same page.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I want to see both laws passed. I may never OC, except to and from a deer hunting trip, but still I want to see both laws passed. The more pro gun laws there are the better I like it. It just makes it that much harder for the gun grabers to slant their lies.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links