CCW - Stealth or protection?

This is a discussion on CCW - Stealth or protection? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm about a month into carry of any type and have enjoyed all that I have read. Repeatedly I see CHL'ers claim they don't want ...

Thread: CCW - Stealth or protection?

CCW - Stealth or protection?

I'm about a month into carry of any type and have enjoyed all that I have read. Repeatedly I see CHL'ers claim they don't want their CCW seen because the element of surprise is lost. Basically, the stealth of CCW is desired.

I, however, tend to believe CCW is more geared to protecting the public form seeing the weapon. The public is accustomed to knowledge that two groups of people have guns: Bad guys and police. Some also know the military may be carrying a weapon of some type.

I'm in Ohio: OC is legal - as is licensed CC. Personally, I could care less if others see that I am carrying. That , of course, depends on the situation, but, for this discussion, it's out in public - shopping, going where CC or OC is welcomed, etc.

It is commonly known that BGs seek out the weak. Based on this, is it not more sensible to allow the BG to see the CCW to prevent confrontation versus having the need to react to confrontation? Prevention requires no skills on my part. Reaction takes militaristic skills to survive.

I'm not naive enough to believe that there won't be someone that will challenge the OC or printed CC. BG's have egos too, but I believe most of the time they will not challenge a knowing armed opponent. I'm also not advocating that training is not needed. I'm simply looking for open discussion from those who believe in stealth versus those who don't mind everyone seeing what you've got hidden.

Regards,

Dave

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    The old -- see it - or don't see it!

From my POV - concealed remains concealed - but the critical factor I think is being sufficiently trained/practiced that - if push comes to huge shove - you are able to respond fast.

The argument of OC vs CCW is beaten to death and we try to keep it out of major debate here - we are about CCW after all .... but I feel we keep an ''edge'' by staying concealed .... let the critters guess! Plus too of course the inevitable - stay away from trouble!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Fair enough. If what I've posted has been beaten to death - please remove the post.

Regards,

Dave

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    .... let the critters guess! Plus too of course the inevitable - stay away from trouble!
    Has my vote...

There is always going to be a OC vs CC differences...and bottomline, a personal choice. Why is also personal...you state one month CC...and seem eager to OC. Legal in OH...go for it. Why pick and choose some places and not others??? If you logic is OC to deter the BG...then location should have nothing to do with it.

Goodluck
    Rick

CCW=stealth to me, and protection in the big picture. The element of surprise is the last card you have to pull out and throw on the table in front of your enemy when your enemy doesn't know you are prepared. Oh....I'm and active advocate for OC in my state, and I will do so once it's legal here no doubt. I'll test the waters and assert my given rights under the constitution. Will I deter crime or become a mark instead of looking like an average Joe citizen sheep? I guess it really won't matter for me since I think I am ready for anything. Having carried concealed since 2001, I think my test of open carrying might take me to the next level in awareness, and I welcome that with open arms. Then I will not only test my awareness skills, but my tactical abilities as well. Keeping a low profile with an exposed weapon would be the ultimate test for me. And I welcome that opportunity. The true test will either be pass or fail. No B or C+. Ultimately, survival is my main goal. How I add things up to reach that goal are inconsequential, but there are often variables in the equation we need to assign a value to in order to solve the equation. I like math....always have...because it taxes my mind. In any equation, I would always hope to be the variable since that takes time and calculations to solve.

Stay safe & shoot strait & fast best regards H/D

VIP Member
    Closed as per OP
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links