Maybe itís just meÖ.

Maybe itís just meÖ.

This is a discussion on Maybe itís just meÖ. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read many posts about how the “New” to Carrying Concealed feel so self conscious about their Gun. Most of the replies are somewhat like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe itís just meÖ.

Maybe itís just meÖ.

I read many posts about how the “New” to Carrying Concealed feel so self conscious about their Gun. Most of the replies are somewhat like “You’ll get used to it” “No one notices” “You’ll forget its there” and “Give it two weeks”, don’t seem to apply to me. I have been CC’ing for close to three years now. At home, I do forget if it is on me, but in public, I am always aware. When I get out of my truck I make sure my cover shirt is not caught or hung up on it. Walking around and the wind is blowing I am attentive to if it is being exposed. When reaching for something high, I am aware if cover shirt rises too much. I wear black cover shirts often (to mask outline). When people are close I will try to angle my strong side away. I try and do all this without looking like I have some sort of tourette’s or other mental disability. I watch others to see if they are CC’ing. No positive sightings yet, only bulges and bumps that could be anything. I think I have never been “Made”. But I am almost always conscious about it. I may never be cured. Is it just me?

To alot of people it is like getting a third arm, it just feels different, which it should. Some folks just takes longer to get adjusted and then it becomes second nature. You develop your instincts, your surroundings, and more respect for the law.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

What you describe is just being circumspect. We all make "adjustments" to our wardrobe, our demeanor, and our mental acuity when carrying. I think the "self-consciousness" referred to by many first-time carriers is one of anxiety - the thought that everyone knows, everyone can see that I'm carrying. I hope that I never reach the point where I become unaware that I'm carrying. You are just being intelligent about being an armed citizen.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Last edited by Pizza Bob; January 31st, 2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: closed quote

I agree with Pizza Bob, you are just being intelligent. I've carried for nearly 2 years and am always conscious of it. When I pass by someone on my gun side, my arm is always down, protecting that side from being brushed. Before I get out of a car, I subtly check to make sure it is firmly holstered and not hung up on my shirt. As someone on this forum stated in a past thread, "it's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting". If it gets to where it is comfortable, then I'd worry I'd actually forget it was there and risk printing or worse. Just last night the family went to a restaurant and I realized my adult son was doing the same thing I was - looking for a seat that didn't expose my carry side to the aisle with people walking by.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    What you describe is just being circumspect. We all make "adjustments" to our wardrobe, our demeanor, and our mental acuity when carrying. I think the "self-consciousness" referred to by many first-time carriers is one of anxiety - the thought that everyone knows, everyone can see that I'm carrying. I hope that I never reach the point where I become unaware that I'm carrying. You are just being intelligent about being an armed citizen.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Right on!!! Being used to carrying doesn't mean that you are unconscious of your weapon, it does mean being alert and that includes the awareness of how your weapon is and whether it is concealed or not. When I get out of my car, I always check to see that my shirt is not riding above my SA 9mm XD. When I'm in a store just walking around with my wife, I often check the edge of my shirt to see that nothing is showing. That's part of being aware. Good for you!!
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

EdC
    I agree wholeheartedly with the posters above. There's a big difference between being aware and being anxious. For me, the anxious feeling was gone after a couple of weeks, but I'm always aware of the gun. Sounds like you're doing good.

Pizza Bob has it right I think.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I have been CCing for almost 14 years, and I do all the things you mentioned above. Your post really contradicts itself, the feelings that everyone knows your carrying, and the feeling you have a brick on your side, these all diminish over time. However being aware of your cover and body language should actually increase over time. You are describing two different reactions to CCing. I hope others feel the same way.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Everyone here is right on. I found that when I lost a few pounds I started carrying more IWB and that really helps in the concealment category.
    I read somewhere that CCing should be comforting and not so much comfortable.

I compare it a lot to my wallet. I would just casually tell you, "I don't think about it." But that's not entirely true. When it's missing, I know it, and I feel naked. So at some level there's definitely an awareness that it's there.

When I first started carrying, the "awareness" that it was there was more like a constant, sort-of-worry. A bit like being way underdressed at a wedding. Just an uncomfortable self-awareness. That feeling gradually morphed into a comfortable awareness. But it's easier to say, "I don't think about it" even if that's not a completely accurate statement. Others know what i mean.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think you're fine. I'm always "aware" that I have my CCW, just like my watch or anything else. It's not always on my mind, or even in the back of my mind, but I know it's there, I know I need to keep it concealed, and it's just part of my routine. If I don't have it though, same as my watch, I feel like something very significant is missing. I don't however worry about other people looking at me. It's become very normal and accepted to me, and I know that nobody sees it, so I don't really think about that. I have also open carried, and nobody even notices that, so I'm not always worrying about printing or my garment riding up or whatever. If it does, nobody is going to notice, but I trust my cover garments to do their job.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    In Tennessee we have a Handgun Carry Permit, not a Concealed Carry Permit. Even though it is legal to open carry I choose to cover up. I am however not bothered if my XD .45 C prints a little or the wind briefly blows my vest open. I just remember one thing...I am legally carrying.
    My mindset is totally different when I carry than when I cannot, all my senses are heightened a notch. TN law states you cannot carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, even if you are not drinking, (stupid law). I have been in restaurants where I can carry and walked past LEO's and it feels totally normal because again...I am legally carrying.

VIP Member
    There is a big difference between knowing your armed and being self conscious about being armed. In most cases the being self consciousness goes away after a period of time. The knowledge of when you are and when you are not armed stays with you.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think the feeling that "goes away" is the discomfort, not the awareness of the firearm. Something new always takes time to get used to, but that discomfort level should quickly dissipate. I am always aware of my concealment and the presence of my firearm, but after awhile it feels weird NOT to carry. I too am always assessing situations and people, not to be a mall ninja but to be as safe as I reasonably can without becoming a recluse.

Sure you notice your cover, sure you pay attention to others. That's just gaining in situational awareness! The minute that goes away leave the firearm at home. :) It's a comfort level that you're after and an ability to feel secure in carrying and defending yourself.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

+1 for Pizza Bob & BlackPR. I'm comfortably aware of everything when I'm out and about. When I'm unarmed I'm very uncomfortable.

e.g. Last week I had to go into a state police facility on business. I pulled into a vacant lot across from the facility and disarmed, locking my carry & extra mag in my COM. I then parked in the facilitiy's parking lot. I didn't know if the building was going to have metal detectors at the door so I disarmed (off premises) just in case. I felt safe in the police facility, but I still felt odd being disarmed.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links