Flyfishing Carry

Flyfishing Carry

This is a discussion on Flyfishing Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A River Runs Through It has all of the streams very well populated now days. If you think Smart Carry restricts your draw, think about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyfishing Carry

Flyfishing Carry

A River Runs Through It has all of the streams very well populated now days. If you think Smart Carry restricts your draw, think about chest waders! Anybody here carry while flyfishing? Any ideas?
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

Shoulder holster under your light fishing vest.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Fly Fishing Carry

There is a fine holster made by "Simply Rugged" from Alaska. They make a rig specifically for use with waders. I have purchased from them, and their product is superb, service very timely, with very reasonable prices. Check their web site.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 31st, 2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added link.

I've sometimes tucked an SP 101 into my chest-type fly-tackle bag. No lightning fast draw (show me a system that is while wearing chest waders!), but the gun is only a zipper draw away. Loaded with large meplate, hard-cast 180 gr. bullets, I think it represents a pretty potent blaster in a small package.

I have a 5.5" Redhawk (.44) I picked up for protection against larger predators, though the likelihood of such an event is very rare, even in my black bear rich environment. Probably the only way to hide that gun while wearing waders would involve a vest/shoulder holster arrangement? A time or two, when I was fishing a tag alder choked, bear heaven stream, I just wore the Redhawk on an Uncle Mikes nylon belt/holster combo without worrying about concealment.

PC

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    When I wade I use my 642 "airweight" in a pocket on my fishing vest. If ever there's an opportunity for "vest" carry, this is it, however, the gun is likely to get dirty and or dinged doing this alot. I use an uncle mikes (cheap and I wouldn't use it in my regular pockets) pocket holster. It protects the gun from moistrue and scratches and put it in the big pocket on the left side of my vest.

On my waders (neoprene) I have a nice pocket just on the inside and front. It's also an ideal place and it will keep the gun dry but I don't quite trust it when I'm leaning over/forward to net a fish or something so I just don't carry it there but it's ideal because it's good access, it's protected from dings and water. Etc. Try it yourself.

When I'm fishing, I don't want othes to "see" my weapon if possible.

My Cloudveil waders have a waterproof chest pocket.

Perfect for my Seecamp......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I started out with a vest and have gone to a hip pack. I like it alot. Its easy to move around, you can twist it to the front and have a place to rest things while your rigging up, and it holds whatever type of gun you prefer. I usually dont even zip it up unless the wading is getting kind of hairy. Makes for a quick draw......I miss fly fishing since i moved from utah to arizona.......

Thanks everyone. Some great ideas. Yankeeman, check out the White Mountains in Az. Lots of great flyfishing mostly in lakes on state, forest and Indian reservations.

I like to have my 44MAG availabe when fishing. I don't like having to search for it. It is alwas recomended to wear a belt on the outside of the cheast waders while fishing the big streams of the west,so if you fall in they won't fill with water. I wear my holster on strong side hip, it has a strap to secure gun. Since Washington has open carry I really don't care if it is visible or not. As long as you dry and clean the gun after a day of fishing the gun won't be hurt. Most of the ammo sold now is water proof. I try and never get in over my waist. The current in the rivers around here can toss you downstream quickly if you get in to deep. During the summer I usually don't wear waders, just jeans and fishing sneakers or water socks. So my pistol would just go on my belt as normal.

Ankle holster.

I have a vest with a zippered pocket on the left breast that works great.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I never carried when I flyfished, for the reasons described. I occasionally took the "bob down the stream" method of travel, unintentionally, and was regularly above my waist in water when I fished the rivers of Wyoming.

If I did want to carry, I think I would also look into those tactical holsters worn across the chest, from Blackhawk and a number of others. There may be some waterproof bags also, but that's a compromise between a slow draw if needed and getting your gun washed by the stream.

I never did have any issues with threats, 2 or 4-legged, though had the crap scared out of me by a young moose once, who popped up from some willows 15 feet from where I was standing in the river. Luckily, he was just as surprised and left immediately, leaving some poop in his wake. :)

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Yep, never felt threatened yet either. Guess it's just the "be prepared" mindset.

I have a

SURVIVAL SHEATH SYSTEMS : Kydex Shoulder and Chest Holsters

That I use for backpacking etc... Might want to look into it... Click on Chest Holster bottom right of page.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Gunner69, those are pretty nice chest rigs. Don't know if I would want the upside down carry without a thumb break of something more holding the gun in but I like the draw of it. Very natural...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
    I occasionally took the "bob down the stream" method of travel, unintentionally
    Haha Im convinced that your not a true flyfisherman until youve been baptised into the sport! I took my spill last February, not too fun in Utah waters. My best friend is a Marine and Enduring Freedom vet. He is also my flyfishing partner, the only time I have ever felt threatened he was there as well and we both had the spidey sense going off from the time we left the truck, during our whole hike and all day at the honey holes. We've been back a time or two but the fishing has dropped off and doesn't really warrant the whole feeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links