Who hates crowds? - Page 4

Who hates crowds?

This is a discussion on Who hates crowds? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does that mix safely with CCW Wayne - in day-to-day life? . Sure, why shouldn't it? Wayne...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who hates crowds?

Does that mix safely with CCW Wayne - in day-to-day life?

Sure, why shouldn't it?

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    I was only wondering if that gave you any concerns - meaning, might you feel more likely to suffer panic than most.

I think I know what you mean re the crowd deal - I might call it a sort of chlostrophobia - which is in a sense crowd specific. I wasn't meaning to ''call you out'' Wayne - more wondering if you had any qualms over it with carry - if say you were in a bad but not serious situation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Talking What, ME worry?

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Does that mix safely with CCW Wayne - in day-to-day life?
    Panic Disorder is not exactly what the name implies. It does not tend to cause irrational fear that would therefore seem to spur impulsive violent behavior. It can be controlled with meds and those meds do not adversely affect the bodies responses to threat situations, nor is judgment affected. The meds are not narcotic in nature. I teach psychology and this is in my text, althought not in reference to threat scenarios...that is my assessment by extrapolation of text contents. Mood disorders are far more common than one would think, btw. Frequency increases with age. So if you've not been depressed in the past.....just wait awhile. lol. Of course if there are other factors like a family history or certain traumatic life situations, those odds go up dramatically.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Chris,

No worries :). I have more of a tendency to flee if that is what you are asking :).

Wayne

I dislike crowds, stoplights, and heavy traffic - anything that impedes my movement.

The worst crowd experience I ever had was in Barcelona. I'm tall, and stuck out head-and-shoulders above the crowd. I was a constant target of pickpockets. None were ever successful, but I really got tired of having hostile strangers' hands in my pockets.

The only thing they did get was the decoy. Did you know that a maxipad, all folded up, is about the same size as a wallet? I put one in my left inside coat pocket, and one in my right rear pants pocket. Someone lifted one of them. I'm sure they were puzzled. I had a good laugh over that.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Assistant Administrator
    did you know that a maxipad, all folded up, is about the same size as a wallet?
    Haha - there's one to remember Tom
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    I just got back from my local range. Going at 1pm CST I miss the lunch crowd.

I had the big bore lanes all to myself. I really don't mind others shooting but sometimes it's just nice to have the room to ones self.

Meaning when I have a few flyers I don't feel eyes watching my target.

I shot my full sized Kimber .45 Custom TLE and my Glock23 .40 Both shot without any problems. Except me being the shooter.

I can't stand crowds

Absolutely hate crowds. At social gatherings, i head for the door w/ an excuse that I need to get some air. I always try to keep the numbers down and stay away from night clubs/bars/etc...

As others said, I do the wally world thing at ungodly hours (between 2AM - 4AM). Some people perceive me as rough looking (ponytail, brushy beard and large). It took me awhile to catch on, but I found out that I would be getting all the security cameras on me. I go to one section, then hear on the loudspeaker "security to section x", move to another section, then "security to section y". If I move back to x, I hear that over the loudspeaker. The only good thing about that time of day is that a person has to walk all my ammo to the front check out areas (they won't let me carry it and have the sports/ammo place shut down after 10 PM). Good time to buy in as much bulk as I can and let the wally world associate carry it for me.

I've been to crowded PennState football games. Never again. I've been in NYC between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Never again!!!

The only crowded places I don't mind are the smaller biker gatherings. Enough neat bikes to see, enough people to enjoy the "freak show" and never had any problems.

It depends on my mood. Somedays I don't really mind crowds that much. Others, I feel like just smashing people in the face with a hammer. It comes down to the level of stupidity, disrespect, and complete lack of common sense that I am willing to deal with for that particular day. I have to deal with those things 48 hours every week at the FD so sometimes I really don't feel like dealing with more of it.

That's why I generally just stay home. Some weeks, I'll go to work my 2 24 hour shifts and then not even leave the house besides that. It's just not worth the aggravation sometimes.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Haven't liked crowds since I went to am outdoor concert years ago and literally could not move the direction I wanted to go. Now IF it is a dispersed crowd, say 5-6' between people, I'm OK.

Not a big crowd fan here either.

I don't mind being around large groups of people occassionally, so long as I can maintain my "personal space". A lot also depends on the type of crowd. Gun Shows and Ham (radio) fests are fine for me as I often meet a friend I didn't know I had.

But random crowds like cities, shopping malls during the holidays etc, forget it. (One of the many reasons I think Urban and Ugly both begin with "U" for a reason)

I do prefer off-hours for shopping, theaters etc, better choice of seats, faster check out and less likelyhood of having to deal with jerks.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Golly Randy, you dont have to go very far to the Hara Arena for the Dayton Hamfest!! Never been, and probably never will. Ham radio has gotten more expensive,that I have just about parted with all the gear..

John, K6YDW

Although I went to quite a few concerts in my younger days, I've come to hate crowds, too.

We rarely go to movies anymore, but if we do it's always a matinee on a weekday both for price and peace.

Box stores aren't too bad. Prefer Sam's as there seem to be smaller crowds and more space....the big open ceilings give that impression. But I have been known to go shopping at 4 am, like others have mentioned.

A lot of my decision to go into truck driving following my military career was based upon being sick and tired of dealing with interpersonal politics.

I'm even glad that it's a 100 mi drive to the IPSC clubs that I belong to. Provides an automatic excuse to not get involved in any of the politics. I'm happy to show up early and do more than my fair share of the grunt work, but if I have to deal with combining rules/procedures/personalities/decisions then it ceases to be enjoyable.

Parties, bars? Simply not on my agenda any more. I'd far prefer to be sitting here 4 ft from my gunsafe with 100+ channels next to the monitor.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Hate crowds, dislike being around strangers. Stopped going to gun shows because they got to crowded. I do go to the Oregon knife show, usually only on Friday which is members only day. I will occasionaly go to the Seafair Powwow if I am asked to by one of my close friends but only if they need my presence to bless a drum or need a Vet to carry the Flag, I don't stay long. Both of my divorces were caused in part from my avoidance of crowds. For that matter I felt that both of my weddings were to crowded.

Never,never been fond of crowds. Not afraid of them and i enjoy from time to time going to a UT game[Knoxville,Tn. avg. attendance over 100k per game] but most of the time avoid them and go my own way.

Main reason for this is whether the crowd is small or large if something goes down, crowd mentaility takes over and that is generally bad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links