Carry to church???

This is a discussion on Carry to church??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's illegal to carry to church in MS. So, if I were to admit to doing so here, that would be an admission of a ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carry to church???

It's illegal to carry to church in MS. So, if I were to admit to doing so here, that would be an admission of a crime. How 'bout this weather we've been having?

2. Remove Ads

Not legal in MI without permission. Not sure what the pro to anti-gun ratio is at my church, but there are enough anti to not make it worth the fight. I leave the firerarm in the car (keep the rounds with me).

It is a restriction that makes little sense, as it piles a lot of sheep and toothless sheepdogs together for some crazy to make a target. Well, maybe the crazy will ask permission.

Then again, it was often understood that you should attend a service without a firearm.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Legal and Yes
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Sure?

If you feel safer so be it.But would grandma say??

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    If the church has a day-care facility or private school during the week, or a sunday school, then it's a federal felony good for five years in a U.S. penitentiary to be in possession of a firearm within one thousand feet of the outer boundaries of the church property. It's the school-rule, and the definition of "school" is so broad, you pretty much can't have a weapon in any populated area without running afoul of that statute. And it defines "school" without any regard to whether school activities are actually being conducted, but only in regard to the scope of the real estate that such activities are conducted upon.

I think it's nuts, myself, but here it is:

=====

U.S. Code: 18 U.S.C. 921
    ...(25) The term "school zone" means -
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

U.S. Code: 18 U.S.C. 922
    (2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

=====
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    If the church has a day-care facility or private school during the week, or a sunday school, then it's a federal felony good for five years in a U.S. penitentiary to be in possession of a firearm within one thousand feet of the outer boundaries of the church property. It's the school-rule, and the definition of "school" is so broad, you pretty much can't have a weapon in any populated area without running afoul of that statute. And it defines "school" without any regard to whether school activities are actually being conducted, but only in regard to the scope of the real estate that such activities are conducted upon.

I think it's nuts, myself, but here it is:

=====

U.S. Code: 18 U.S.C. 921
    ...(25) The term "school zone" means -
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
    (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

U.S. Code: 18 U.S.C. 922
    (2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

=====
    Sorry, but not true. It is not a federal law, and it is not a FL law.

IF the church has a weekday school, such as a pre-school, or elementary, middle or high school, your interpretation would be correct.

However, Sunday Schools would not be considered schools for the purpose of the law you have quoted.

In addition, FL law allows for CWFL holders to carry in their car while dropping off a child/student as long as one does not leave the car.
    Not possible if it would conflict with Federal law.

Finally, a district in TX just passed a law allowing teachers who are CWP holders to carry with permission. Therefore, cannot be a Fed law.

Now, I am not a lawyer, don't play one on tv, did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but my attorney, in consultation with an attorney who works for the State of FL, is clear that there is no issue on Sundays. He is also clear that I am good to go when the school is not in session. It is questionable whether there is an issue during the week, if one is carrying in a part of the campus other than the school portion. If someone wants to be the test case, we could find out for sure. However, I don't know of any volunteers for that to date.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; February 1st, 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added information
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    at least 7 out of 20 in my Sunday school class (a church of about 350 regular atendance) carry in church on any given day...not sure about the other 330 or so. You can bet there's a ton of firepower in the vehicles in the parking lot, in addition to those that carry. But we're a small town East Texas bunch

Yes, please. Legal in Texas unless properly posted.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I really think it would depend on congregation and denomination. At several churches here in Rural Tennessee, some folks carry shotguns in their Pick-ups to church so that they have them along with their robes when they go out cross burning in the evening. The folks in the church down the road from that church don't believe in guns or violence so carrying into the church would be considered anti-social! The other churches are somewhere in between. I put my EDC in the trunk pistol safe when I'm in the sanctuary, but I arm again as soon as I get to car. I'm in the "Bible Belt" and the church is always full of folks. I don't even want to be tempted to start shooting in the church, I know I'd hit somebody that I would regret.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I don't recall it as one of the ten commandments, so I say we're free to carry....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out Clint Smith

VIP Member
    The worship leader and the accompanist of my church carry every time they come. That would be worship leader - me and accompanist - my wife. It is legal in Alabama and wise as well. I don't know who else might carry in our congregation, but I expect several others do as well.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

This topic is discussed over and over again, and the responses are always the same. If it's legal CARRY.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by portable75 View Post
    Whats your feelings on carry to church???
    Viewed from a murderer's perspective, wouldn't a building full of meek persons of all ages, whose attention is elsewhere, whose guard is down, who have little to no thought of perimeter security seem an inviting target? Little different than the mall down the street, or the park, or a busy street corner at lunch time. Except for the fact that a church can be a much more effective pen for doing such a deed.

Appalling, no?

That's why I have no qualms over carrying everywhere. Because, in the end, a church is MORE inviting as a target, not less.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 2nd, 2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spellin'
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Its legal in Florida so I always do.

But I make sure its real concealed, as I do not want any controversy or commits from some who are anti gun.

VA.
    18.2-283: To a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place, without good and sufficient reason

I do.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links