The Stearns Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

This is a discussion on The Stearns Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cmidkiff... People like me who reside in NJ would be able to carry on the same FL permit. While NJ is considered one of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Stearns Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Cmidkiff...

People like me who reside in NJ would be able to carry on the same FL permit. While NJ is considered one of the states with CCW laws, it's also a may issue state, and almost impossible to get a permit :(

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Yeah Sure:
    New York City is going to let me carry there.
    I can't even have a gun in my suitcase. As for the retired LEO thing they don't go for that either.
    I'm not sure about New Jersey. Mass or Cali.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Unfortunately, it makes sense and is therefore unlikely to be adopted...but we can hope

It would be nice, but so wouldn't 1 million dollars falling out of the sky into my lap. I won't hold my breath...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

My concern with this bill is, if it passes most states will stop working on reciprocity since there will be no reason to. Then, if republicans loose control of the house, there is a huge possibility that they we pass a bill taking away national reciprocity. I think that CCW should stay stateside. Its just too easy to loose in one fail swoop if its in the federal government doing it. IMHO.

The irony is that I may actually lose some of rights from it, by the way it's written. Sounds crazy, but it's true. Remember I'm in VT, we're not required permits here. We can carry in several locations that aren't allowed by this bill, like bars.

Nickle; I don't see how you would loose anything. This bill wouldn't change VT's current law. Since VT doesn't require a CCW, you wouldn't have to carry under an out of state permit in VT, same rules should apply. You couldn't carry in other states without a permit of some kind, but that's true now, isn't it?

Clipse; You really think the dim's will get back in power? They're self destructing in a hurry... I'm waiting for the two biggest parties to be the Republicans and the Libertarians.

I know, I'm being an optimist again. Yeah, the Dim's are to well financed to really go away anytime soon.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I don't think we should underestimate the democrats. Like I said before, thats just my humble opinion which is worth about as much as you paid for it. :D

clipse

Administrator

Wishful Thinking

Just my opinion on this but, I think it would take another major domestic terror event happening before such a bill would ever stand a chance of passing.
    Something like another huge national tragedy would hafta push that into the spotlight & give it a quick shove forward.
    Something like multi~state random, prolonged terrorist sniper attacks.
    Otherwise...The
    would never go for it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Just my opinion on this but, I think it would take another major domestic terror event happening before such a bill would ever stand a chance of passing.
    Something like another huge national tragedy would hafta push that into the spotlight & give it a quick shove forward.
    Something like multi~state random, prolonged terrorist sniper attacks.
    Otherwise...The
    would never go for it.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with Shooter
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Sure Would Be NICE Though

It sure would be super nice to be able to travel across country stopping state/state & not hafta worry about planning a specific route or accumulating various LsTC or fretting over reciprocity concerns. That sure would be nice.
    Of course (on the down side) it would make packing.org obsolete.

QKShooter WAKE UP! ~ WAKE UUUUP! You're dreaming again!
    Yep, it sure would be nice.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It is really to bad that law abiding citizens, must pay to conceal carry a guy. If you are stopped by an officer, and it get to the point where you show your CCW permit, he or she will most likely detain you till they verify your permit. It may save some time but they would come to the same conclusion that you are one of the "good guys."

I don't like the idea of laws, that in my opinion are already granted to us by the constitution. But it seams that more laws must be past to protect are 2nd amendment rights.

Lets all hope it pases.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Here's the actual wording of the bill.

Sec. 926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued by a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) may carry in another State a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

`(b)(1) If such other State issues licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may carry a concealed firearm in the State under the same restrictions which apply to the carrying of a concealed firearm by a person to whom the State has issued such a license or permit.

`(2) If such other State does not issue licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may not, in the State, carry a concealed firearm in a police station, in a public detention facility, in a courthouse, in a public polling place, at a meeting of a State, county, or municipal governing body, in a school, at a professional or school athletic event not related to firearms, in a portion of an establishment licensed by the State to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, or inside the sterile or passenger area of an airport, except to the extent expressly permitted by State law.'.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Update

For some reason I thought of this bill today and checked on it. It's still in the House Judicary Committee, but it does have 54 cosponsors now. I'm not sure what exactly that means as far as it's chances, but I do know it's better than 53 or fewer cosponsors.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Senior Moderator
    It means that its one vote closer to happening.

Im not as pessimistic about it passing as others. More states have jumped on the bandwagon for CCW permits. The time to pass the bill is better now than it ever has been.

I didnt think that the bill to allow cops to carry concelaed nationwide would happen, but 10 years later it did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links