Keep your guard up and working on witness skills

This is a discussion on Keep your guard up and working on witness skills within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another one of those keep your eyes open, guard up and remember what you see weekends. Was working out on deck on my sailboat this ...

Thread: Keep your guard up and working on witness skills

Another one of those keep your eyes open, guard up and remember what you see weekends.

Was working out on deck on my sailboat this weekend and hear squeeling tires leaving our local problem (bar). Looked up and watched a pickup blow the corner, shoot past my truck and slam into two parked cars just missing one of my neighbors who was riding a scooter. He and I started running towards the vehicle which started back up, backed out (missing several people who were working hard at staying out of the way) into the street right next to me and took off as best the damaged truck would go. My neighbor got the plate number and called it in.

As usual the local finest was busy with other calls and responded about 30 minutes later. Found the vehicle at home and the owners brother tore up, drunk and claiming he wasn't driving anything. By then many of the witnesses had disappeared except two of us who were not blowing this off. We were able to put the perp behind the wheel with a positive ID and sworn statements. One less crazy idiot behind the wheel for a bit now.

Usual lessons. DON"T ever assume you're safe. People in parking lot just assumed they were fine because they were away from the road. If you see something try to remember the details, specific details! When a frustrated officer finally got to me all he had heard was "some crazy guy in a truck." I told him what shirt he had on, hair color, age range, vehicle description and told him the guy who had the plate number. If citizens wont help LEO's then the crazies all to often get away with things.

Watch your back out there folks......

Oh and was I carrying, well......concealed is concealed, right?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

One of my things is I have a "voice memo recorder" on my Nextel phone. I hit a button and read the plate and description out loud to record so I dont forget little details. Has worked out in a couple of incidents.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Good job being a good witness. Hopefully the driver will get more than a slap on the wrist. Did it look like his truck was no longer roadworthy?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    If you see something try to remember the details, specific details! When a frustrated officer finally got to me all he had heard was "some crazy guy in a truck." I told him what shirt he had on, hair color, age range, vehicle description and told him the guy who had the plate number. If citizens wont help LEO's then the crazies all to often get away with things.
    Excellent…

LEO’s cannot be everywhere at all times, and civilians need to assist LEO’s with a good account of what happen, and accurate information.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itowbigtruck View Post
    One of my things is I have a "voice memo recorder" on my Nextel phone. I hit a button and read the plate and description out loud to record so I dont forget little details. Has worked out in a couple of incidents.
    Now that is a great idea. I have the same feature in my cheapo Samsung and will use it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by itowbigtruck View Post
    Not only that but writing down a few notes is a great idea. Lots of people think they will remember the details but often forget most of the important ones. Even if LE is on the way and you know you will be giving a statement on the spot you should take as many notes as you can to help you give concise info. You also may be asked to recall events and descriptions months even years later in a court room. It certainly adds to credibility.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    ELCruisr,

Great job! I love it when locals take responsibility for their community! It makes the world a better place

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Good job being a good witness. Hopefully the driver will get more than a slap on the wrist. Did it look like his truck was no longer roadworthy?
    Turns out it was his brothers commercial truck. He had a suspended lisence. Roadworthy? Well only with the radiator pushed into the fan and the bumper hanging under the front wheel!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

tag
    Great job getting involved.

While driving an Explorer I was rear ended by a guy doing 45 mph in a pickup. There were at least a dozen cars nearby. Not one person stopped to see if I needed help.

Thanks for the reminder! We all need to remember to be aware!
    ~Krockett

another trick if you don't have the voice recorder on your phone: call your own phone and leave yourself a voice message. Works great if you are in a rush.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Who deputized you and made you into an LEO? Why didn't you just mind your own business? Just because you are carrying a concealed weapon doesn't make you responisible for the rest of the world. Let the people who almost got run over be their own witness and the person whose vehicle got slammed into make their own statement.

Whoops, I'm sorry, those comments are only reserved for those who are involved in something where they might actually have to use their firearm, or think about using their firearm. I really think you did the right thing personally. Actually, the only thing. Good observation skill use and I love the comment about using your voice mail on your cell phone by calling yourself.

I guess, on this board, being a good neighbor and a good citizen is reserved only for those occassions where there is no possible threat of any injury to yourself or others.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

VIP Member
    good job
    9 times out 10 when we get the calls of a hit & run or possible DWI and wits are following, we dont get the guy because they get away or wit gets frustrated that we're not like a trunk monkey and get on scene immediately

my 2nd DWI arrest came off a hit 'n run in a parking lot, vic followed drunk driver and we just happened to be turning onto the street they were on when we got the call, caught him in another parkin lot with vic/witnesses and he tried to take off again, I lit him up and he stopped half on/half off curb, reaching behind seat when we got out-I aimed at the back of his head while partner was aiming from the passenger side giving commands, guy practically fell out of pickup and the went to fight us when we tried to cuff him, victim/witnesses were great, did a great job, I just wish they all ended up this way...BG going to jail and nobody hurt (well, we did spend 6 hours at the ER getting his injuries treated before we went to jail)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

me
    Like you all did calling 911 and giving the best description you can is one of the best possible things to do.

Remember 911 is almost always recorded and the tape is available as evidence as well. Now with your witness statements the lawyer can not claim well you forgot something.

I have done this more than a few times, I have thankfully only once had to file a witness statement and I never got called to court for that.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Sponsored Links