Flying w/ your EDC: what do you do?

This is a discussion on Flying w/ your EDC: what do you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Flying with an EDC is not easy...can't take any ammo with you, and have to check the gun in separately which can be a huge ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying w/ your EDC: what do you do?

Flying with an EDC is not easy...can't take any ammo with you, and have to check the gun in separately which can be a huge pain.

What do you do on a short trip like a business trip?

Senior Moderator
    I don't carry
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

You should be able to take ammo with you, as long as it is not in the gun and in the original box it came in.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I don't carry

Ditto if flying commercial air carrier (Delta, American etc.). Check TSA website. If flying corporate/private, need to check with them on the company rules..

....and nice avatar Pg...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Ditto if flying commercial air carrier (Delta, American etc.). Check TSA website.
    Are you saying different carriers have different rules?

EDIT: apparently so...
    Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    You should be able to take ammo with you, as long as it is not in the gun and in the original box it came in.
    right you are...
    TSA: Traveling with Special Items
    # You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    # You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    # You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

VIP Member
    Agreed. There have been many threads on this topic recently. Just use the search function. It can be done and all the info you need is right there.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Sponsor
    Unless it's changed since my last trip, that's right.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Others have sent you the links…

The only thing I’ll add is this past fall, I flew out west, and had no problems. Fallowed the TSA instructions. Transported the ammo in its original box, and pistol, in a hard case inside the suitcase. Easy, just tell the ticket clerk, you have a firearm to declare, and she/he will give you a red card to fill out and place on the outside of the hard case. On the way out west a nice Southwest Airline clerk even walked me over to the TSA agent and hand delivered my suitcase, telling him there was a firearm inside.

On the way back, I just slipped the red ticket inside the case, and stuck it to the top of the hard case, and sent it on with other luggage.

No problem.

I check in at the gate show them my credentials and preboard

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliverde View Post
    I check in at the gate show them my credentials and preboard

I don't think you answered the OP's question...and you probably confused others that are not LEOs.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Others have sent you the links…

The only thing I’ll add is this past fall, I flew out west, and had no problems. Fallowed the TSA instructions. Transported the ammo in its original box, and pistol, in a hard case inside the suitcase. Easy, just tell the ticket clerk, you have a firearm to declare, and she/he will give you a red card to fill out and place on the outside of the hard case. On the way out west a nice Southwest Airline clerk even walked me over to the TSA agent and hand delivered my suitcase, telling him there was a firearm inside.

On the way back, I just slipped the red ticket inside the case, and stuck it to the top of the hard case, and sent it on with other luggage.

No problem.
    If I read your reply correctly, it sounds like you did not declare the firearm on the return trip. By my understanding this would be a violation (I have however proven that I can be wrong ). I always declare at the check in (both ways), being sure to state "I need to declare an unloaded firearm" (they always seem to enjoy hearing that word "unloaded").
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Another suggestion would be to send your gun and and ammo (in two seperate boxes) via UPS/FedEX to the hotel you're staying. You need to call ahead and inform the manager what you're sending and request that he signs for the packages and locks them in the hotel safe. The other option would be to send the packages addressed to you and send them to a UPS/FedEX at the airport you are arriving. The pro to that option is less people handle the packages. Sending a gun to you doesn't require an FFL to get involved. FYI.

VIP Member
    for flying i have a hard sided metal case with foam-padded interior, 2 exterior latches and hasp for padlock
    In it I put my G30 in the IWB holster, pocket knife, plastic ammo storage box with enough ammo for 10 round +1 and 2 13 round mags, mag pouch, 4 oz can of OC, empty 10 round mag in the weapon, 2 13rnd mags in a mag pouch (sometimes all 3 mags loaded in pouches secured with velco/snaps/whatever
    I've never had a problem with this setup all together in the same box (flying with southwest and american)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

kr

Here's my go (with pictures)

I travel quite a bit, I logged about 25,000 miles and 38+ flights. This is how I take my firearm when I travel:

Ammo in MTM box, in same case as pistol and speedloaders:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Case closed and locked with TSA approved locks:

I have never had an issue. Some ticketing agents make me put the orange declaration tag inside the case, some have me put it inside my luggage. Some have asked to inspect it, some haven't bothered, but it's never been a problem for me!
    Last edited by kr; February 3rd, 2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Pictures didn't show

me
    I place my unloaded firearms (M&P + Keltec ) in the original S&W case then leave it unlocked till the ticket counter with the lock in my pocket. As soon as I show to either the agent or TSA (as designated by the airport) I then lock it with a Non-TSA lock.
    I also have a tape strip on top of the case with my name and cell number (in case TSA wants to re open it).

Place it in my bag and lock my bag with a TSA lock then put a wire tie as a second lock (lets me know if they reopened it).

Last round trip I flew with it with no problems. had my ammo in manufactures ammo boxes (had my 380 ammo in a 9mm box). I had no hassle.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links