Carried to the doctor today

This is a discussion on Carried to the doctor today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I had a doctors appointment today and I was already carrying so I kept it on. No signs disallowing it. I thought I'd just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carried to the doctor today

Carried to the doctor today

Hey, I had a doctors appointment today and I was already carrying so I kept it on. No signs disallowing it. I thought I'd just be sliding my sleeve up for the PA to work on my arm anyway. When I got in the room I slid my sleeve up and the nurse said to take my shirt off so I did. I laid on a table and the PA came in and looked at my arm. She started working on me and the the doctor came by to visit. My shirt fell in the floor and he picked it up, which put his head right next to my weapon and laid it over me like a blanket. Nobody ever said a word. I started to say something in the beginning but the nurse left the room before I could. I'm not sure if it's cool to expose a concealed weapon in a doctors office or not. They seem to not have a problem with it. They've probably seen them before.

Todd

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    glad it worked out but I think for the rest of us it would be better to try and avoid such a situation. I'm also wondering if it could be considered brandishing in some states with strict laws about anyone even seeing your concealed weaon.

Glad it worked out for you and I hope the visit was only routine!

Last time I went to the doctor he saw my CC when he lifted up my shirt to listen to my lungs. Then he says "I never go anywhere without a gun". We went into his office and he pulls out a Kel Tec and had a Glock 19 w/Laser Max.
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Yes, only routine and fairly quick, that's why I didn't bother to take it off in the car. I think they may have thought I was a cop. I got a fresh haircut today. I think at the most they would have asked me to put it in the car. A while back I went to my chiropractor in a bad area so I carried. I had to take it off in the room so he could role me around. I know him pretty well and he's cool. When I took it off he started telling me about his brother accidentally shooting himself in the hand with a Glock the night before.

Todd

I had a talk with my new doc and he has no problem at all with it and said none of his staff would either.

He's just an old country boy so I didn't figure he'd have any problem with it. He actually wanted to see my weapon so I pulled it out so he could take a look at it. He was impressed with the PT145 and was going to go and take a look at it at the gun shop just around the corner.

AL

VIP Member
    funny thing...

sometimes I go to my chiropractor appt and get traction or ultrasound/estim, etc while open carrying with my badge affixed next to my holster
    staff knows I'm LEO and nobody is freaked out of course, but I swear 95% of the sheep (other patients) don't even notice that I had a Glock and 2 mags on my belt much less a badge
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I think they notice, I alway do, but they also notice your a cop and that's it. I like it when cops are around, I feel safer. The Harley shop I used to frequent seemed to always have a cop or two checking out bikes. Back then it was in a rough part of Atlanta and I considered it the safest place in town.

Todd

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by todhog View Post
    I think they notice, I alway do, but they also notice your a cop and that's it. I like it when cops are around, I feel safer. The Harley shop I used to frequent seemed to always have a cop or two checking out bikes. Back then it was in a rough part of Atlanta and I considered it the safest place in town.

Todd
    I understand what you're saying, that people see gun and badge and think nothing of it....
    what I was trying to say is that most of the people were not even aware I had a gun or badge on, I watched people and they don't even look around enough to look at people's waist, etc
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Most people wouldn't see a pink elephant if it crossed the street in front of them.

Biker

Going to the Doc today and will carry. Went to him a while back and locked gun in the car, when he saw the empty holster we started talking. He has a CHP himself and gave me an aplication to his gun club.

every Doc I know is a shooter of one form or another... hunter/target/protecion
    "WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."

I usually leave my gun and holster in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Most people wouldn't see a pink elephant if it crossed the street in front of them.

Biker
    I just watched a film at work last week. We were instructed to notice how many times the group of people in white shirts passed the ball back and forth. There was one large group with two balls, some in black shirts some in white. We were also asked to take note that some were women and some were men and the mix was even between the white shirts and black shirts. They all danced around each other and jaunted back and forth as they randonmly passed the balls back and forth between team members.

After it was done (about a minute and a half) we tallied our scores.
    We were all close in our guesses. Then we were asked if we saw anything odd. Only 2 out of 15 people did. Upon closer review of the film a large man in a black gorrilla suit walks into the middle of the group, dances around, waves his arms then walks off camera all whilst the teams passed the balls all around him.

I was amazed at how blind we were when we were focused on a narrow path of thought.

NOW BACK TO TOPIC.

I hope your visit was routine!

I don't know how my doctor would react. I just keep it concealed by putting my gun (& holster) in the brief case I carried in with me.
    Brief case is on the floor behind the chair under my coat & hat.
    (I always carry a brief case or back pack as part of my cover for the doctor visits.)

Also, I always ask if they need me to pee in a cup. If yes, I get that done right away before I disarm, so I don't have to leave the room with my gun left behind. (They have you pee in the cup in the bathroom down the hall.)

One time, for a pre-employment drug test, I was sent to a clinic where the nurse took me to the room to pee in the cup. She stopped me outside the room and told me to empty my pockets.
    My gun was IWB, but I had not yet gotten a pouch for my spare mag so it was just riding in my pocket. So I empty my pockets and when the spare mag was put on the table she said "Wow! That's some pocket knife you got there." I said yeah, it comes in handy, and I laid my handkerchief over it.
    I was starting to wonder if she was intending to come in and watch me pee too.

She didn't. And there was no other mention of that "knife".
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    I just watched a film at work last week. We were instructed to notice how many times the group of people in white shirts passed the ball back and forth. There was one large group with two balls, some in black shirts some in white. We were also asked to take note that some were women and some were men and the mix was even between the white shirts and black shirts. They all danced around each other and jaunted back and forth as they randonmly passed the balls back and forth between team members.

After it was done (about a minute and a half) we tallied our scores.
    We were all close in our guesses. Then we were asked if we saw anything odd. Only 2 out of 15 people did. Upon closer review of the film a large man in a black gorrilla suit walks into the middle of the group, dances around, waves his arms then walks off camera all whilst the teams passed the balls all around him.

I was amazed at how blind we were when we were focused on a narrow path of thought.

NOW BACK TO TOPIC.

I hope your visit was routine!
    That link has been posted a couple of times here. It is funny how tunnel vision we become. Here is a link YouTube - awarness test

Here is another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3CF3oa1tV4&NR=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links